Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? #1042980 11/06/19 10:47 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I am one sad squirrel. Feels like Jerry and Dan created a community here, and then yanked the rug out from under us smirk

I know everyone has different seasons in their lives. But it wouldn't take that much to keep the Yard going. Not everyone can afford Busse Combat blades--especially at current prices. Seeing the Swamp disappear made me sad. Watching this place slowly die is also a real shame.

Jerry and Dan did a LOT of work to get their blades out there. They established a SOLID brand. They built a reputation of getting quality blades at different price points so everyone could afford a high-quality blade. They developed one of the most rabidly loyal customer bases I've ever seen. Why let it die?

They have by now trained up numerous blade smiths. They built a great supply chain. If Jerry and Dan want to move on, or into other endeavors, I completely understand. They have done solid work and deserve to do whatever they want at this point.

It just seems a shame to do this to customers that have stood by the company through thick and thin. Almost feels like a slap in the face. Pretty much all of my fixed blade knife budget for more than a decade has been spent on these knives. Lots of people have spent far more for far longer supporting this brand and company.

I don't want Jerry or Dan to keep doing something they don't want to, but why let the company--one of the best knife companies ever--slowly fade into obscurity and oblivion? Why not train up replacements?

I have to believe that the people working there like making knives. Seems like they have people who'd be willing to take this on. Remember Eric at the Swamp? I don't know the whole story and don't want to, but if there are people willing to help and wanting to keep building the company up and manage customer relations, why not let them?

If and when Jerry and Dan want to retire, hopefully they'd stay on as creative advisors and guarantors of Busse quality. But why alienate the hundreds or thousands of dedicated customers?

Do they, understand the magnitude of what they created here? It really has been something special. I have never come across anything else remotely close to this place.

The community here has buoyed me up over countless challenges. We came for the knives. We stayed for the people, united by our love of steel, outdoors, community, friendship, the company of good people, and the connection we've found with each other. This was more than a company. The owners would chat with us. They connected with us. It became a home.

I had to stop buying knives regularly--kids growing up need funding, knife pricess rising beyond that which I could afford, etc--but I still came here. I still introduced friends to these knives and encouraged them to own them.

Then things stopped. Knives stopped. Company employees and owners stopped dropping by. Communication stopped. And so, many of us simply stopped coming here so often too. It's hard to remain loyal if you are neglected smirk

Not my company, but I tend to think that was a mistake. The Yard succeeded because of that loyalty. That loyalty existed because we felt connected to the company in a personal way. Remove that, and we go from loyal community to a transactional business. Raise the prices too much, and without the personal loyalty that might have swayed people to buy these knives sales suffer. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Yard is still going great guns. Maybe Busse is making up for lost sales from the Yard and Swamp with increased sales of Busse Combat. I don't know. If it is, fantastic. If this was just the unprofitable stepchild, I can understand. If its a business decision, OK. The wheels of capitalism keep rolling and making this country great. I'll get over it.

I do know I miss the Yard and the Swamp. I think we COULD return to the community we had, but it would take commitment. I know Dan has A LOT going on. Put someone over the day-to-day. Someone with the authority to make decisions. Someone we know 1) is in charge; 2) cares; 3) will talk with us regularly. We need to know what's going on. We need reasons to be excited, and draw people here on a regular basis. The more people are here, the better this place becomes.

I don't want Dan to leave. I hope he is healthy. I hope he comes here often. I'd love to see him oversee a "relaunch" to build this forum and brand back up. But if that's not on his cards right now, I get it. Maybe designate someone to run this forum and brand in his stead, or under his supervision.

It seems a shame to let what's happening to the company happen to the company...

That's one squirrel's opinion anyway...

Last edited by DogTired; 11/06/19 10:48 AM.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1042987 11/06/19 12:24 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well said.

JYD #182
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1042990 11/06/19 06:50 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Problem is, I think, what Eric ran into; the company name is Busse, and they keep tight control. I don't think anyone other than a Busse will be in charge of one of their companies.

Yes, I feel like the rug was pulled out from under us as well. frown

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1042991 11/06/19 06:51 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I agree with Ray DT. THIS is how WE ALL feel.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1042993 11/06/19 06:58 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I like ALL my Busse kin blades. BUT the ones that will forever have a special place in me heart are those that were gifted to me. NOT because they were free to me, but because strangers that have became like brothers gave up THEIR money for someone they have never actually met.

LONG live the Brotherhood of the yard!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1042997 11/06/19 07:11 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Since nothing has came out in a while I have been forced to spend my hard earned money (Ok, I'm retired, YOUR money) on a Keurig mini Patty bought me and pods to go with it. But in al fairness I have to say that Patty is also enjoying it. She's buying the hot chocolate pods.

Hey at least I've progressed from instant coffee. grin

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/06/19 07:12 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043002 11/06/19 08:26 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well, that IS a big step for you Randy! grin

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043005 11/06/19 09:10 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I get that they want control the name and brand... But at some point maybe think about selling it off and our retiring. There has to be a succession plan. Unless the plan is what we are seeing now...

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043007 11/07/19 12:25 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I figure they are both to young to retire. Planning for it sure, but actually retiring, a long way off.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043010 11/07/19 02:27 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I believe Dan is 61 and Jerry is 59, but they probably would like to retire early. I thought that perhaps Dan's son Mike would eventually fill in the gaps.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043017 11/08/19 09:17 AM
A
adnj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
A
Don't fade sway! Business, travel and family has kept me away. Not to mention some scrambled passwords for all my logins.

I couldn't login and just gave up for a long while. I then did some digging in the old backup files and decided to Maya visit. The store was empty and the forum was down for me. I decided to wait a few days... same thing. And then the sane thing again.

I come back and some familiar avatars are posting still. I felt a wave of nostalgia.

What ever happens, please accept my thanks for being what I can call great people to chat with.

Last edited by adnj; 11/08/19 09:20 AM.
Re: Will We Rebuild, Or Will We Fade Away? [Re: DogTired] #1043018 11/08/19 09:18 AM
A
adnj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
A
... Duplicate

Last edited by adnj; 11/08/19 09:20 AM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5