Next Thread
Print Thread
Why we carry and what we carry .... #1044583 03/05/20 02:17 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Why do we carry guns?

I'm just an individual. I have no military or law enforcement background. However, I feel personally responsible for my own security so I choose to carry a firearm. I've had a license to carry a handgun for the past 27 years, and carry every day. I also take the responsibility seriously so I train with regularity.

Every single person that elects to carry a firearm should analyze the responsibility and repercussions of the decision.

Threat Analysis

After electing to carry a gun for self defense develop a detailed (preferably written) list of potential threats.

For example, you may be the person that has to make the "night cash delivery" for your business to an after hours repository. The pattern is something a criminal could observe and therefore place you at risk.

Threat Mitigation

After writing out a list of the threats you perceive start developing strategies to AVOID the risk instead of "fighting".

Using my "night deposit" example, instead of making the deposit at the same time to the same financial institution vary the times and branches. By breaking "the pattern" lazy criminals will look for an easier target.

Threat Avoidance

My plan is to avoid trouble. If there is a problematic area ... drive around it. If there is a store that has been robbed repeatedly ... shop some place else.

More importantly, walk softly knowing the consequences of carrying your "big stick". By this I mean, don't allow carrying a firearm to imbue you with overly assertive confidence. It would be much better to diffuse a hostile situation by: walking away, running away, backing down rather than shooting the idiot (regardless of how much he deserves to be shot).

What guns do we carry and why did we select that (or those) model(s)?

Select a gun that fits your perceived threats, will stop the hostile attack with as few rounds as possible, is as accurate as you can afford, and is 100% reliable.

Caliber Selection

Nobody should consider anything less powerful than a 380ACP.

Realistic and commonly available self defense cartridges include: 9MM, 40SW, 45ACP, and 10MM. Note I didn't list revolver cartridges because revolvers are terrible choices compared to the easier to shoot / carry semi-autos available today.

DO NOT BELIEVE reports that "bullet technology" has made 9MM as effective as 40SW and/or 45ACP. This is complete and utter BS. If a 115gr / .355" / 1100fps 9MM with Majic Boolit #1 is good then a 180gr / .40 / 1100fps 40SW with the same Majic Boolit #1 is better. PERIOD. Take a 9MM, 40SW, and 45ACP to the range and shoot falling plates with each. Note the energy transfer difference. That same energy transfer applies to flesh. The people who are claiming new bullet technology has made 9MM equal to 40SW and 45ACP have an agenda. They're the same type of people that told us we needed to pass the largest new tax law (Affordable Care Act) so we could read it and figure out what we passed. Many knowledge people involved in the procurement process for large agencies and governmental bodies have stated publicly that often RFP (requests for proposals) are written to elicit a specific predetermined outcome. Simply stated ... they wanted 9MM because it is cheaper / easier to use so they validated it by claiming bullet technology makes it equal to other calibers .... against all known physics (remember ... I have a background in physical mathematics / structural engineering).

Magazine Capacity

The more the better. However, I personally feel the chances of a civilian needing more than 3-4 rounds in peace time is an exceedingly uncommon situation. Regardless, I wouldn't carry a gun that held less than 7+1 with a pair of 7rd reloads. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Accuracy

My opinion is accuracy for a carry gun is paramount. The chances of being forced to use the gun around other innocent bystanders exists. Therefore, being able to place as few rounds (see CALIBER SELECTION ) precisely on target will prevent innocent people from being injured by you. This, in turn, will keep you out of prison and bankruptcy (not to mention it'll also give you a clear conscience).

My personal accuracy testing standard follows:

+ 10 rounds
+ Free Standing / Unsupported
+ Primary Hand with Support Hand On Gun
+ Slow Rapid Fire

All 10 rounds need to be in or touching a 2" circle. I drew and printed my own targets for this exercise.

My Choices

Based upon my stated views above (caliber selection, minimum magazine capacity, and accuracy standards) I usually carry a 5" steel frame 45ACP 1911 with 2" at 25 yard accuracy capabilities. I also carry a HK45C (modern version of the 1911 Commander) on occasion. With practice I can keep all nine rounds from the HK45C in a single cluster at 10 yards / standing / unsupported.

Civilian vs Combat

The 1911 would NOT be my choice if the world ended and I had to "fight it out". I probably wouldn't select a 45ACP for combat applications but if I were going to select a 45ACP for "combat" there is only one I would trust: HK45 or HK45C. Personally, in a "combat" scenario I'd chose a very high capacity 9MM like a Glock 19 with Glock 17 mags for reloads.

Last edited by Endeavour Morse; 03/05/20 02:49 PM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044584 03/05/20 03:26 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I carry a S&W model 411 in .40S&W that I bought several years ago. It's an old Police trade-in, and I was able to buy several extra magazines from CDNN. I like the .40S&W round and prefer it over a 9 mm for power. I have mostly Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense ammo in the mags I also have a Glock model 22 in .40S&W with several extra mags.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044590 03/05/20 04:26 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Tom, I carried 40SW guns off and on for MANY MANY years and still feel it is an outstanding cartridge. Those 3rd Generation S&W guns are bombproof.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044592 03/05/20 05:28 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Had to look the HK45C up. Nice looking gun.

HANDGUNS
I, when not on my belt, carry an SCCY 9mm (Federal P9HST 1) in my Fatboy by Maxpedition. It holds 10 rounds in the magazines and I carry 1 spare at all times, if I am going into a known sometimes problematic area I will carry 2 spare 10 round mags.

ON MY BELT, I most of the time any more, carry my Sig P239 40S&W (P40 HST 3) with 2 spare 8 round mags with a full mag plus one up the spout in the gun. All my ammo is the Federal HST 1 ammo, in medium weight and is a Plus P ammo. It was one of the three highest rated rounds that my research found. On the front end I have Xpress Sight Systems Big Dot 24/7 (tritium) night sights and they are the fastest sights I have ever seen, even I think faster than a red dot. What you have is a BIG honking glowing dot front sight and a rear that has a vertical tube of Tritium in it. So you just As they say in their advertising, Dot the I.

If I am not carrying the Sig I carry my Ruger SR1911CMD in 45ACP (P45 HST1) I carry with a McCormick 8 round mag with one up the pipe and 2 Spare 10 round McCormick mags in a double mag pouch. This one I carry in a Galco V-Hawk IWB holster but plan on upgrading this year to a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, the same holster I carry the Sig in. Oh the Sig holster is Horse Hide and I plan the same for the Ruger. It is thinner, but still more than rigid enough plus it is a little more water resistant than cowhide.

NON HANDGUN
I guess you can call me paranoid, and that's OK. Paranoia, in moderation of course, WILL help keep you safe. Anyway, I ALWAYS carry a Spyderco Para3 in my right front pocket. This is my Sheeple blade. I ALSO carry in the same pocket (it never comes out unless it was really really needed) an Emerson CQC15 either the Mini or the (Now for a while) full size. In my left front pocket I carry a Spyderco Para Military 2 set up for left hand carry. I just really like this knife and it gives me one other option if ever needed. Oh yeah, and in my Fat Boy I carry a Zero Tolerance 0770CF. It's light weight sturdy and just one more option.

The carry ammo I have listed above is of course NOT my practice ammo (just enough to know how it shoots).

EYES AND EARS always open and scanning the surroundings for sights and sounds that are just a mite "off". There has been a few times where I made Patty stay behind me or off to my left side (I am right handed). She doesn't ask why any more when I do this. I do not trust people. Not you guys of course, you're not people anyway, you're Dogs. grin

So there you have it, the Skunk loadout.

P.S. Even just around the house in or outside, I have a knife in my pocket. You never know when a BAD dog may come aound. It has happened 4 times now over the last oh 10 years or so.
Just like the rubber bracelet I got from Relentless Tactical when I bought my belts says, "Always Prepared, Never Surrender".

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/05/20 05:43 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044593 03/05/20 05:45 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Endeavour Morse
Tom, I carried 40SW guns off and on for MANY MANY years and still feel it is an outstanding cartridge. Those 3rd Generation S&W guns are bombproof.

YEARS ago, we're talking mid 1980s here, I had a 3906 in 9mm It was a sweetheart, a pleasure to carry WHEN it was allowed. That is another gun I wish I had not gotten rid of.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044609 03/05/20 07:50 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I've owned several Gen 3 S&W in 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP and 10MM. They were good guns. I particularly like the 1006 (full size 10MM). Stainless frame and stainless slide = tank but it also soaked up recoil.

There are definitely "more advanced" options today but not many with stainless frames. I was very pleased when Sig started selling limited stainless framed P-200 Classic guns again.

Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044626 03/05/20 09:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I also ONCE had an older style P-35. I NEVER should have gotten rid of that. I kick myself weekly for that blunder.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044647 03/05/20 11:34 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I think the P-35 / Hi Power is a highly under rated firearm, and FN should have never stopped production.

Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044656 03/06/20 06:03 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
The Browning Hi-Power was one sweet pistol. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Why we carry and what we carry .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044682 03/06/20 09:15 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I carry a G17, G45 Roland Special, G19 with RMR, and a Smith 340PD J-frame.

I CCW for defense and counter ambush purposes. On all my glocks I carry with a surefire X300 ultra weapon light. Because you absolutely need to have positive target and threat I.D. I’m also moving towards Trijicon RMR slide mounted dots on all of my glocks with 2 out of my 4 glocks equipped. I’ve been using them for 3 years now with a year of independent testing before implementing them for every day carry. I found them as a real advantage especially while tracking and engaging moving targets which is very likely to happen in a defensive encounter. Also the ability to place fast accurate fire at distance is hard to ignore. In today’s environment the ability to retreat can be impeded by the the environment you find yourself in. If your halfway down the isle at Walmart and are engaged by an active shooter can you effectively place shots on target 25yds away? A RMR certainly can help. The J frame for me came about after attending a Varg Freeborn Violence of Mind Defensive Pistol class. The mindset of of people who are professional criminally violent. The J frame and similar weapons fill a unique roll as a discrete to deploy counter ambush weapon. While I believe that I probably have a better chance of getting in a car accident or getting hit by lightning than needing a defensive weapon I still take the responsibility of providing and protecting my family very seriously and will train and equip myself to the best of my ability to do so.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138