Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 156 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 155 156
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046408 04/17/20 02:20 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My TOPS BOB just arrived. This is my first TOPS knife. Shown in the pictures with my Spyderco Para2:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046409 04/17/20 02:21 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My initial (meaning its been out of the box five minutes and I'm working so I'm not playing with it) thoughts ...

GOOD

+ The handle is very comfortable and sized appropriately.
+ The visual and tactile quality is apparent. This is a very nice knife.
+ The gimping is very secure.
+ The blade is thick enough to eliminate fear of normal use breakage.
+ The blade grind looks outstanding.
+ The sheath has zero rattle and extremely solid lock up.
+ The ferro rod is nice. All of the reviews I read or watched showed a "triad" contraption wherein three small rods were stuffed in the aluminum cap (ferro, mag, and something else). Many people complained about this so it looks like TOPS listened. I'm very happy its just a big thick ferro rod.

NEUTRAL

o The sheath looks crudely made. Like something a first time kydex bender would produce, but it is STOUT and SECURE so this is a minor quibble.
o The blade may be thicker than optimal for a knife designed as a "bushcrafter".
o The handle to blade proportions are not aesthetically appealing.

BAD

- This is a heavy knife.
- The sheath has an attached belt clip and the paperwork says it voids the warranty if you remove it.
- The entire knife is covered in some sort of preservative that smells weird.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046410 04/17/20 02:41 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I forgot to mention ... even the plastic whistle is marked 'MADE IN USA". Kudos to TOPS for keeping everything indigenous. I would have expected the whistle to have been imported to save money.

As a side, this is the 4.5" blade all-black G10 model. $134.95 at TKC which has a sale on now for 5% off. It was about $125 to my door. Considering the ferro rod ($5-10 value), whistle ($3 value), sheath with belt attachment ($40 value) ... this is a bargain.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046418 04/17/20 06:30 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Whew. I hope you still like it after you get a chance to use it a bit.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046820 05/01/20 09:02 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
TWO Maratac 2aa Extreme led flashlights. High/700lu for 1.5 hours. Medium 140lu for 10 hours. Low 5lu for 200 hours! PLUS it has a strobe function and two different beacons, one every three seconds and one each second just by turning the head a quarter turn.

Also got 10 2ml little vials, quite handy, two 14x14 inch microfiber cloths, three (red, white, green) diffusers for flashlights with a 3/4 inch head and two battery carriers, 1 each of 2aa and 3aaa. Each one holds 4 batteries. Have I ever said I like Countycomm.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046821 05/01/20 10:46 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
More emergency food:)

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046824 05/02/20 01:17 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You're gonna be as big as a house Tom, what with all this food you're buyin. What brand or brands do you like?

So far we have mountain house I've bought over a little while. I've been thinking about checking out Wise.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/02/20 01:26 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046830 05/02/20 10:50 AM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I finally bought a TV. I can only think of one other TV that I have ever purchased and actually kept. I bought several TVs in the past but got them home and they sat in the box for a weeks. I eventually realized they'd be out of date before I ever ever used them so would return them. For the last 20 years I watched most everything on my computers. Maybe 10 years ago I bought a used 32" flat screen TV for $50 to use as a computer monitor. I did end up using it to watch regular TV a few times. It was mostly just background noise while working. So now doing this whole self isolation thing is the first time I've ever actually evaluated my whole television situation lol..

So now I have a 50" Samsung Smart TV. All I can say is "WOW! But whatever". It looks really good and I guess it's cool but really I bought it because my eyes are completely shot from starring at too many tiny screens for too long. So now I just got a bigger screen to stare at.

As far as programmed television I have been mostly unplugged for the last 20 something years. I try to watch enough local news to not die and I sort of scavenge for whatever else. As far as TV show and movies I've always figures that I'll see it when I see it... But I like the smart TV features and having access to movies and show. So now I might actually use this TV and actually do the "boob toob" thing. The "free" stuff might be cool and I just started a free trail on NetFlix which is looking pretty nice. If I do subscribe this will be my first time ever paying for a TV service of any kind. But I doubt I'll be a monthly subscriber..

JYD #82 yup...
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046831 05/02/20 10:58 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Netflix is pretty cool. The stepson gave us his access code so we can access it when the Gkids are here (grin). We have an Amazon Prime membership and use that for streaming movies and also free books to read via a lending library type thing. We've had Prime and a while but never realized we could do those things. Sure makes that 15 bucks a month not seem so bad. I bet we have read close to 30 maybe 50 books combined since we started it and Patty watches the movies/TV shows quite a lot. Pretty neat I guess.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046832 05/02/20 11:00 AM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
On a side note... I bought a 55" TCL 5 series first. It was a nice TV but it was a little too much of a big screen for my room and I could not stand the limitations in the operating system. The TCL had way more cool content and the OS was way more refined in some ways than the Samsung I ended up with. But I'm the flip side the OS and the hardware were extremely limiting and as far as I could tell you had to stop viewing your current content in order to check out other content or even make changes to your settings and work inside your OS. It frustrated the crap out of me. But for some reason TCL is a highly recommended brand.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046833 05/02/20 11:27 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Randy, the Mountain House brand is generally regarded as the best of the freeze dried foods; from what I have read (haven't tried the brand) Wise foods was at the bottom of the ratings.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1046837 05/02/20 12:45 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Mountain House was the best out of all the different ones I’ve tested. Also, the most expensive of course.

JYD #182
Page 65 of 156 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 155 156