Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767173 06/07/13 02:51 AM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well, Greece ain't a swarm of chaos...

If you go there, people are just going about with their own bussiness.
Sure they have problems, big ones, but it ain't chaos.
Remember; most of us, Danes, Greek and Americans alike are civilized people, and will behave civilized in the event of a economic meltdown.

Many people like to paint a way too grimm picture.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767186 06/07/13 07:13 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Civilized, yes. But I think if the USG tried to seize people's savings it wouldn't end well. I think there is a great deal more distrust of our govt here than there is generally in Europe and more of a widespread culture of "don't tread on me". The debt crisis would be worse than Greece by several fold.

Who knows what will happen on the future? Not I. Just think the Boy Scouts have it right: "Be prepared." Hopefully, you don't ever need to use your prep, but better to have and not need than need and not have wink Prepare for the worst and pray for the best grin

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767239 06/07/13 09:25 AM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by DogTired
Prepare for the worst and pray for the best grin

You've got that right. It's another reason why I'm interested in SY knives - rugged and well-built enough to last me through most any situation.

JYD #183
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767271 06/07/13 09:56 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by DogTired
Civilized, yes. But I think if the USG tried to seize people's savings it wouldn't end well. I think there is a great deal more distrust of our govt here than there is generally in Europe and more of a widespread culture of "don't tread on me". The debt crisis would be worse than Greece by several fold.

Who knows what will happen on the future? Not I. Just think the Boy Scouts have it right: "Be prepared." Hopefully, you don't ever need to use your prep, but better to have and not need than need and not have wink Prepare for the worst and pray for the best grin

Exactly DT our country was formed on distrust of the government and that sentiment has resurfaced for good reason. I think Europe is far to trusting of there governments and we see where that is getting them.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767293 06/07/13 10:05 AM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Europe's population is drastically changing with low birth rates contrasted with immigrats with high birth rates. I don't think we'll recognize Europe in 100 years - it'll be an extension of North Africa/Arabia.

JYD #183
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767511 06/07/13 01:52 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Hey, nothing wrong with being prepared!
Only a years worth of food and 10k rounds? That would end up taking up all the time you have, for things like a day job.
Usually people who come from a think tank have a political agenda, and want to paint a picture that benifits them. I bet this guy want to win votes for the Republicans. And ok by me, they would get my votes, did I live in the US.

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: greaser] #767512 06/07/13 01:59 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser

Exactly DT our country was formed on distrust of the government and that sentiment has resurfaced for good reason. I think Europe is far to trusting of there governments and we see where that is getting them.

Well, if distrust in the government will end up causing chaos and anarchy (I added anarchy for dramatication cool) in the event of a economic meltdown, I would prefer trust and a peacefull economic meltdown.

That said, I this the EU is a hopeless project, and would much prefer a simple trade union.

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767514 06/07/13 02:06 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
the chaos is going to come from the government dependent ones who have no skills whatsoever IMHO not from those of us who can see the possibilities.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767540 06/07/13 04:41 PM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'm not the only one worried about collapse. Some say that it's just because of the economic uncertanty - that it's a phase or a natural reaction - I'm not so sure about that. The birds can sense a storm coming before humans can see it. You have to watch for the signs. I think that might be what we're seeing now, but I can't be sure.

JYD #183
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767546 06/07/13 05:02 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well, I just heard something disturbing today!

Bees are dying in huge numbers all over the industrialized world.
The pulpit is pesticides.
Entire colonies are dying and the number of dying bees in beefarms has risen by an alarming rate.

To me, that is a greater danger to us. I think we would be able to float on top of an economic meltdown...

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767548 06/07/13 05:16 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
It never hurts to prepared for bad times. Lots of things can happen from natural disaster to losing a job. A healthy supply of stored foo means one less thing to worry about.

If you rotate out canned/dry goods and don't buy something you won't eat you will be just fine.

Its pretty nice to think you are out of something when you look in the pantry and realize you have a case in storage. Time to swap it out and buy another case. laugh

Then again I believe in having a plan, a backup plan and then a couple more plans just in case. Its my personality.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767551 06/07/13 05:23 PM
monsterdog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Rasmus, Americans won't take as kindly to having their bank accounts emptied by the government as the Greeks have. The risk of bloody revolt is very real in that instance.

That said, I don't believe the 3 year forecast. While the economy was failing in Greece, alternative currencies like bitcoin flourished and enabled those savvy enough to use such alternatives to disconnect themselves from the failing government's financial system.

People over here advocate gold and other precious commodities, including ammunition for those purposes. And ultimately I think America is versatile enough that the country could survive on a bartering system while the "official economy" hit rock bottom. But it would take a very strong sense of community, something else that America has demonstrated to have in times of crisis.

Overall, I think the US will fare much better than the rest of the world in a similar upheaval. Mainly because of the people's determination (and ability) to protect themselves from those who would turn a situation like that into an opportunity to loot, rape, and kill.

As long as the US government is kept from disarming law-abiding people, and from importing 20-30 million more mouths to feed, I think we would be in good shape over all, even with a very bad crisis looming.

That said, I will soon be situated much better in a new home with more room, and I will be spending money on at least basic supplies. Maybe not 3 years worth though..

"Wroof! Wroof!" - George IV misterdog-muensterdog-monsterhog
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17