Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767650 06/07/13 08:04 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Three years supply of food is a bit drastic IMO. With a years supply I think you would be GTG. You can always supplement. Food storage doesn't have to be pricey. Five dollars a week extra towards storeable foods and it accumulates quickly. 10k rounds is doable for 22 and doesn't take up much space. 1-2k in other "survival" platforms is good. But if the government starts taxing ammo as an alternate form of gun control it might be nice to have a supply on hand wink

Like MB noted, there's lots of reasons to prepare. Doesn't need to be because of govt collapse. Storms, unemployment, or disasters of any sort can strike anyone anytime anywhere. Be prepared. It's just a good idea.

If you can't physically store a years worth of food, do what you can. I never want to be reliant on the govt or others in the event of emergency. If more of us prepared for the worst, the better able we would be to help each other in times of need.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767696 06/07/13 08:22 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I had three years worth of Twinkies stored up. grin

JYD #182
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767839 06/08/13 12:09 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well said MB

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767929 06/08/13 02:39 AM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I am aware, that Greece and USA are populated by people of quite different mentality. My point was, that you can't base your fears of chaos on Greece, since no chaos reigns there.
Personally, I believe in being prepared, only you don't have to go overboard, which I think a year's worth of food and 10k rounds is.
In a country like the US natural disasters do occur, and of course you should be prepared for that. Hurricane Katrina was a stellar example of that. In DK we haven't EVER had any kind of disaster worth preparing for. Here I would rather have a prepared skillset, and gear to help me in that.

And I do believe in the good of man, should our economi collapse. That may be I, who is naive.
However I do also believe in the right to defend myself at gun point, should the need arise... But I have no guns frown

Last edited by Rasmus; 06/08/13 03:23 AM.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #767962 06/08/13 08:49 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Interesting perspective. I'm LDS so I grew up with the mindset of always aiming for a years supply of food--its something our church has encouraged for generations. I've met lots of folks who wish they'd followed that council, lots who'd like to get into food storage, and lots who are ambivalent, but few who'd say a year's supply of food is overboard. Prudent yes, but not excessive. It stems, I think, from the fierce independence that most Americans feel, combined with the traditional values of self reliance and thrift (that unfortunately are in decline here and being replaced with dependence and entitlement...).

Curious why you'd feel a years supply is excessive? Not baiting an argument, but genuinely interested since its a mindset that is relatively alien to me.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #768313 06/08/13 11:04 AM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'm LDS too... I'd say self reliance and independence runs in the blood.

JYD #183
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #768404 06/08/13 12:27 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
@DT
No worries, I appreciate the discussion, and questions to my point of view are welcome smile
I think it is excessive, purely because I can't imagine a situation, where you are cut off from being able to trade or bargain for a whole year. Or even grow your own vegetables or herbs. Or catch fish. Have your chickens lay eggs and ate the chicks.

I do not know what LDS means, so be so kind to enlighten me smile

No doubt, it is prudent to be prepared, especially where hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes are a risk.

Last edited by Rasmus; 06/08/13 12:30 PM.

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #768408 06/08/13 01:12 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
No one has answered yet and I'm not LDS so please correct me if I am wrong. LDS is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Also known as Mormons.

JYD #182
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Ray Settanta] #768645 06/08/13 05:56 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
I had three years worth of Twinkies stored up. grin

Now that was some good planning! grin

Hostess going down was a blow to my stress management. mad wink

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Ray Settanta] #768646 06/08/13 06:01 PM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
No one has answered yet and I'm not LDS so please correct me if I am wrong. LDS is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Also known as Mormons.

Yes, that's right.

JYD #183
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #769161 06/08/13 10:16 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I've never seen having a years supply as something just for me. Rather, if there's a disaster or need, I will be in a place to take care of my own and others too.

Although, as MB pointed out, if you lose your job it's nice to have that to fall back on so you don't need to take govt assistance and can maintain your dignity. Lots of folks I've known that have needed to rely on their food storage to see them through tough economic times. Especially nowadays when people can easily be out of work or underemployed for over a year. The real unemployment rate in the US is still over 10 percent when factoring all those whose benefits ran out and are no longer being counted.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: DogTired] #769392 06/09/13 03:41 AM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well, one thing is for sure, there is no harm done it being prepared. And you are right; being able to help your self and those in your community is worth more than you can sum up in money and time spend.

So in that aspect, I understand.

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17