Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
US ARMY BIRTHDAY #771643 06/14/13 09:04 PM
Horn Dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Today is the Army's birthday. I remember the 200th birthday well as I was going thru ROTC "Summer Camp" at FT. Bragg. Having survived Viet Nam in the Air Force, I nearly got killed by a Marine artillery battery at Bragg. Those 8" shells sounded like Volkswagens moving thru the air. Our compass man had led us into the impact area during a night ambush. Happy Birthday, Army. grin

Last edited by Horn Dog; 06/14/13 09:04 PM.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771644 06/14/13 09:39 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Unfortunately things like that happen all to often Vic.

Happy Birthday to my sister service.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771770 06/15/13 12:13 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice HD did you guys blanket party him? lol

happy birthday to all my brothers and sisters.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: greaser] #771772 06/15/13 12:23 AM
Horn Dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
Nice HD did you guys blanket party him? lol

happy birthday to all my brothers and sisters.

You mean the compass man? He had an accident. One of our tech advisors had to be medivaced out after being bit by a water moccasin. Even in peace time training, night operations can get hairy. Since I was a big guy, I had to carry the M60 machine gun. Even the ambush was a cluster flub. The target for our ambush turned out to be armor. We were afraid of getting run over by tanks. College kids in the jungles of NC, scarier than the tet offensive. Real live war stories from ROTC. I could tell some real ones, but they didn't end as well.
At least we all survived that infamous night ambush FU.

Last edited by Horn Dog; 06/15/13 12:26 AM.

Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771774 06/15/13 12:25 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
While I was stationed at Pope I literally watched thousands of guys wobble out to the planes for one of the DZ's. Man they carried a lot of stuff.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: SkunkHunter] #771776 06/15/13 12:30 AM
Horn Dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
While I was stationed at Pope I literally watched thousands of guys wobble out to the planes for one of the DZ's. Man they carried a lot of stuff.

Yeah, the 82nd had some crazy troopers. You have to wonder about folks who jump out of perfectly good airplanes. But I salute them all on the Army's birthday. grin

Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771777 06/15/13 12:30 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Strange things happen sometimes! shocked When I was in ITR (now I think they call it AIT) quite a distance off they were detonating an artillery round with some C-4. When it blew, it sent a chunk way up the hill toward us, and the instructor screamed "incoming" and hit the dirt. It landed about ten feet from a group of us. smirk

Vic...try carrying the M-60 in mountains, flooded paddies, and elephant grass when it's about 100 degrees! shocked

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Private Klink] #771783 06/15/13 12:43 AM
Horn Dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Private Klink
Strange things happen sometimes! shocked When I was in ITR (now I think they call it AIT) quite a distance off they were detonating an artillery round with some C-4. When it blew, it sent a chunk way up the hill toward us, and the instructor screamed "incoming" and hit the dirt. It landed about ten feet from a group of us. smirk

Vic...try carrying the M-60 in mountains, flooded paddies, and elephant grass when it's about 100 degrees! shocked

Thank God I was in the AF in the war. I had no desire to be infantry in that war. When I got my draft notice, I went to Ft Jackson for the physical. But I had slipped into delayed entry in the AF. Every other one in my line was sent to the Marines. I pulled out my DEP paper and off to the fly boy line I was sent. Felt good. Why do you think I picked armor when I went into the army? Ride into battle with a big gun. Why die tired?

Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771788 06/15/13 01:25 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I enlisted in the Marines, and around graduation from Boot Camp we found out that almost everyone was going to be an 0300 something. Ended up that half went to "Guns", the other half went to "Mortars"; we didn't exactly get tp pick and choose. smirk

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #771795 06/15/13 07:43 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Horn Dog

Thank God I was in the AF in the war. I had no desire to be infantry in that war. When I got my draft notice, I went to Ft Jackson for the physical. But I had slipped into delayed entry in the AF. Every other one in my line was sent to the Marines. I pulled out my DEP paper and off to the fly boy line I was sent. Felt good. Why do you think I picked armor when I went into the army? Ride into battle with a big gun. Why die tired?

LOL exactly HD thats why I went combat engineer I drove this on patrols.

[Linked Image from military-today.com]

info

Last edited by greaser; 06/15/13 07:43 AM.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Private Klink] #771860 06/15/13 08:55 AM
Horn Dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I enlisted in the Marines, and around graduation from Boot Camp we found out that almost everyone was going to be an 0300 something. Ended up that half went to "Guns", the other half went to "Mortars"; we didn't exactly get tp pick and choose. smirk

Thank God you made it home, Tom. I wanted jet engine mech in the AF but they made me a munitions spec and sent me to a base that didn't even have any jets. But for some perverse reason, the Army gave me my first choice, armor.

Re: US ARMY BIRTHDAY [Re: Horn Dog] #772129 06/15/13 10:39 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I had a cush tour compared to you folks, or by any other measure. MCBH Kaneohe Bay Hawaii.

Happy birthday to the US Army.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"