Scrap Yard Knife Company

Sharpmaker

Posted By: Ishikawa

Sharpmaker - 10/21/13 06:43 PM

Anyone here have experience with and/or use a Spyderco Sharpmaker?

Well, I recently decided to try one out in my search for an economical, PORTABLE, and easy to use sharpening system. For reference, I own / have owned an EdgePro, Lansky, Belt sander, Paper wheels....now the Sharpmaker. EdgePro was too involved, Lanksy was hit or miss, Sander / Paper wheels can't go with me anywhere...although they do a great job convexing the edge. My problem with convexed edges is that I'm a moron...and I couldn't keep them sharp (ie: haven't dedicated the time to perfect the art behind them)

First impression...WOW, what a system! Not complex...very simple, utilitarian design. Not a lot of options. Nothing to really think about. I sharpened an old crappy knife first...just to see if it was really all that easy / fast. Presto, sharp old fart. I was so confident after that...that I just grabbed my SS4 and gave it a whirl. WOWZERS...my SS4 is the sharpest its ever been now. It actually took me a bit, as I had to reprofile the edge (one side was way off from the factory)...but it turned out great!

I can't think of a simpler system / setup. I resharpened my 340 after the SS4. It's ready for deer season now. Sharpened my PM2, Sharpened my CRK Insigno, I couldn't stop sharpening things.

Very pleased. I don't know if it would be a good system for larger blades (tbd...), but it is great for the smaller SYKCO's in my portfolio.

So, looking for a small, portable, affordable, quick and easy solution to sharpening your SYKCO's. Consider the Sharpmaker.

What else do you guys use?
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/21/13 08:05 PM

I have several methods as well; lately I have been using a water-stone. I seem to recall that Eric Isaacson liked the Sharpmaker too.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/21/13 08:27 PM

For me it is a Smith's course 6 inch diamond hone Patty bought for me over 15 years ago. Then I usually finish up lightly on a DMT 4 inch folding hone and I'm done. I don't go for a mirror edge, just a good grabby edge that cuts well.

I might have to check into the sharpmaker. I'm looking for something like that too. Thanks Ishi.

Oh and I forgot to say I usually only use the spyderco course ceramic hone (8 inch model) instead of the Smith's diamond unless it's really got a bad edge.
Posted By: Psyop

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/21/13 11:33 PM

I use to use mine a lot. Its a good system.
Posted By: rth548

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 12:07 AM

Another Sharpmaker user here. Easy peasy and sharp as can be in no time.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 12:59 AM

The sharpmaker is pretty easy, although I wish I could do it as smooth as Sal does in the DVD. Its like effortless for that guy.

MM
cool

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 01:24 AM

MM - I felt pretty clumsy using it for the first few knives...but even then, the edge was pretty darn perfect on the knives.

Has anyone ever screwed up an edge using a sharpmaker? I don't know if you could.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 01:49 AM

Did you watch the DVD, Max? I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it was pretty funny. Similar to an infomercial.

I've been meaning to pick one up. I have a guided system that is a bit more complicated than the sharpmaker. Maybe after Christmas....

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 02:28 AM

I have not seen the DVD, Adam. I watched one youtube, then just went for it. So simple it's scary.

I was in the garage earlier...probably gonna toss my paper wheels / HF belt sander. You want them, by chance?

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 02:47 AM

Sent you a pm.

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 03:35 AM

Great bunch of Dogs here. There's a special place reserved on the porch for Dogs like Max. Thank you, brother.
Posted By: RN

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 10:01 AM

Is it as easy/easier than the Lansky? After messing up the edge on my para 2 for the 2nd time by sharpening free hand, I started using the lansky and have done better in general. Not shaving sharp, but better than free hand.

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Is it as easy/easier than the Lansky? After messing up the edge on my para 2 for the 2nd time by sharpening free hand, I started using the lansky and have done better in general. Not shaving sharp, but better than free hand.

To me, yes. A) my free hand ability sucks...which I think is more representation of lack of practice to build the form, B) no clamping the knife down like a Lansky, Edgepro, etc, C) all of those knives I mentioned shaved after about 2 minutes...20 strokes using each rod.

One thing I always wondered about the Sharpmaker when looking at it was "what are those golden / brass colored rods for? Well, they are just SAFETY guides. So if you miss the sharpening rod, your hand is protected. SMART!

There are only two settings. 40 degrees and 30 degrees inclusive. I used 40 on all of mine this go round....seemed to match close to the factory edge. There are two rods, one rough (grey) and one fine (white ceramic...i think). You can use each rod in two ways...the "edges", or the "flats". The process is: step 1: use the edge of the grey stone, step 2: flat of the grey stone, step 3: edge of the white stone, step 4 (if wanted): flat of the white stone. 20 strokes each step.

Note: You can use the flat of the white rods to get what they call a razor finish...I did not go this far with mine.
Posted By: jackell

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/22/13 04:19 PM

I am the world's worst at sharpening a knife. The sharpmaker helped solve that problem. Used it on a trout fishing trip to Taneycomo to keep everyone's fillet knife and my Dumpster Mutt DC sharp right after I got it. It kept my DMDC sharp enough to clean trout with. The people I went with all have one now. The sharpmaker mainly gets used at the kitchen table now. I use this in the field: http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/other-sharpeners/guided-field-sharpener-221.html

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/23/13 05:48 AM

That does look interesting! wink

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/23/13 06:05 AM

I've seen that before and wondered how it actually worked.

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/23/13 06:09 AM

There's one good way to find out! wink
Posted By: adnj

Re: Sharpmaker - 10/23/13 08:42 AM

I like the Sharpmaker and use it regularly on knives up to 7 or 8 inches. I never have had a problem. I have some fully serrated knives that I use it for too. That's where it really shines! I haven't found anything that works so well and it's super easy.
Posted By: RN

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/02/13 10:45 PM

I went ahead and got a sharp-maker last and have done pretty well! Got a couple of the blades shaving sharp and got my Battle Rat in the best shape it's been in awhile. Cool system! Thanks for posting this Max!
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/03/13 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jackell
I am the world's worst at sharpening a knife. The sharpmaker helped solve that problem. Used it on a trout fishing trip to Taneycomo to keep everyone's fillet knife and my Dumpster Mutt DC sharp right after I got it. It kept my DMDC sharp enough to clean trout with. The people I went with all have one now. The sharpmaker mainly gets used at the kitchen table now. I use this in the field: http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/other-sharpeners/guided-field-sharpener-221.html
that looks cool
Posted By: Icarus

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/03/13 10:19 PM

In my experience Sharpmaker is good for touching up the edges, it lacks "of grits" for re-sharening/profiling

The lack of angels is easily solved by tilting the knife left or right, depending on what angle do you want.

There are diamond rods available if one needs a corse grit, but you can also do something like this

[Linked Image from imageshack.us]
This way you can select your own grit...

And there is also Work sharp sharpener but you also need power for it...
Hope it helps!

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/05/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RN
I went ahead and got a sharp-maker last and have done pretty well! Got a couple of the blades shaving sharp and got my Battle Rat in the best shape it's been in awhile. Cool system! Thanks for posting this Max!

Cool!! Glad it has worked out for ya! I think I'm gonna get one for my dad for Xmas...he was eyeballing mine this weekend at deer camp frown

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/05/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Icarus
In my experience Sharpmaker is good for touching up the edges, it lacks "of grits" for re-sharening/profiling

The lack of angels is easily solved by tilting the knife left or right, depending on what angle do you want.

There are diamond rods available if one needs a corse grit, but you can also do something like this

This way you can select your own grit...

And there is also Work sharp sharpener but you also need power for it...
Hope it helps!

Icarus, thank you for adding this...very interesting!! Do you have problems with fitment of the triangle rods into their "slots" while wrapped in paper?

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/06/13 06:25 AM

Ishi, it looks like he doesn't wrap the sandpaper all the way to the end.

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/06/13 06:26 AM

Icarus, first off WELCOME to the Yard. Hope you grow to like it here as much as we do.

I think I recognize that knife, the Ontario Rat Model II isn't it? I have one and it's a really nice size and knife for edc.

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/07/13 07:09 AM

Welcome Icarus! smile
Posted By: Icarus

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/08/13 09:47 PM

Thx m8t's!

SkunkHunter is right, i don't wrap it all the way down, just like in the pic.

Yes that is Rat but 1 not 2. didn't get the II model, too small for me.

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/09/13 06:24 AM

Icarus, I have the original model 1 and IT IS SWEET! I also have the Ontario model II, nice little edc blade.
Posted By: VANCE

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/09/13 02:05 PM

after reading this thread & then watching videos on youtube i think im going to get me a sharpmaker

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/09/13 05:23 PM

Give us a report on how you like it Phil. smile
Posted By: VANCE

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/09/13 07:52 PM

i got a few other irons in the fire at the moment...but ill get to it

Re: Sharpmaker - 11/09/13 09:01 PM

Just don't burn your hands! grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums