Scrap Yard Knife Company

Mud Mutt Review

Posted By: Horn Dog

Mud Mutt Review - 01/18/14 07:59 PM

I took my new Mud Mutt out to get the feel of it today. I brought along some old favorite 5" blades. Outdoor knives have come a long way since my old Schrade Bowie Hunter of the 1960's.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
The Mutt is nearly as thin as that old Schrade, but much more rugged. There isn't much to break or come loose on the Mud Mutt. The knife is light and balances right in front of the handle. I found a pouch style sheath that sort of fits it. This light little knife has as much cutting edge as the much larger TG short model, and is much easier to carry.
The knife cuts fairly well with the factory edge. The mudder handle fits my big hands well. I even did a little splitting with it. Think of it as a Ratmandu, but lighter. All said, the Mud Mutt is what I've come to expect from SYKCO, a rugged no frills performer at an affordable price.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/18/14 10:33 PM

Nice review. Thanks.
Posted By: RN

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/18/14 11:37 PM

Vic!

Good to hear from you!

I was thinking of your reviews just yesturday matter of fact...

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 12:19 AM

Thanks. It isn't really an in depth review. I figured that members of this forum already know the virtues of SR-101 steel and resiprene handles. I'm sure the Mud Mutt can hold up to any punishment this old man can dish out. This is a light and pleasant knife to use and carry. Big enough to do some serious work, but compact and light enough not to get left in the jeep when I go for a walk. I like the knife a lot.
Posted By: DogTired

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 03:03 AM

Good to see ya Vic! Find the thickness to be sufficient for most jobs?

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 03:45 AM

The blade is plenty thick. You don't need a .25" thick blade in a knife that size anyway.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 04:41 AM

Agreed. Just haven't actually handled one myself to know how thick it is compared to my other blades--not rightly sure where my calipers are at the moment....somewhere lost in the junk in my basement, I assume grin
Posted By: adnj

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 12:34 PM

I just found my calipers. They've been MIA for about three years. I'll loan them to you. wink

Great review! I missed buying a Scrapper 5 years ago and regretted it until know. I really like the blade profile for a general go-to knife for the trail.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 12:49 PM

Hey, it might not have been an "In depth" review Vic, but it IS in historic Horn Dog Style! Thanks so much for the review. Your "Impressions" carry a lot of weight here as they are actual, factual no BS allowed reviews. You don't sugar coat anything and that is just the way we all like it.
Posted By: Claudiasboris

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 05:33 PM

Good to see, thanks for sharing HD! Looking forward to more SYKCO goodness.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 06:48 PM

Vic
I have said it before but I will say it again
One of the things that kept me coming back to the yard in my early days here were your wonderful reviews
I do miss them.
Originally Posted by Horn Dog
Thanks. It isn't really an in depth review. I figured that members of this forum already know the virtues of SR-101 steel and resiprene handles. I'm sure the Mud Mutt can hold up to any punishment this old man can dish out. This is a light and pleasant knife to use and carry. Big enough to do some serious work, but compact and light enough not to get left in the jeep when I go for a walk. I like the knife a lot.
Posted By: Prince of Peace

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/19/14 07:01 PM

Your order ID is #407.
12-24-13

Patiently waiting for my turn to hold one.
I went $20.00 longer for the leather sheath too.

Sometimes 8 weeks can seem like forever. But at least I had your review to look at and imagine holding the 10" overall Muscle of love from Scrap Yard!
Always nice to have a handle that is big enough for the blade.
This 50/50 split has me very excited to say the least.

Peace.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 12:10 AM

Nice to hear from you again PoP

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 12:11 AM

Not many of you oldtimers still posting on here
Posted By: greaser

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 12:47 AM

Great to hear from you HD sounds like it will be replacing my RMD for EFC (every forest carry) duty.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 01:05 AM

It may replace my War Dog on my Maxped Jumbo for my go to hunting blade.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by greaser
Great to hear from you HD sounds like it will be replacing my RMD for EFC (every forest carry) duty.

I have 3 RMDs. They are a bit heavy with the full tang and all, but I just love them. BTW: My EFC is still the SAK OHC. That little saw is handy. Today I found a pine tree on my property that had all rotted away except for the heart pine. The tree was about 6" in diameter with a core of about 1.5". It is making a cool looking walking stick. But as fixed blades go, the new Mud Mutt will do fine. I'm still carrying the SAK in my pocket! My Yard knife for the Kawi Mule is the 1311. That's great knife, but if frightens the sheeple on the public trails. Of course ALL knives and machetes are banned on my local nature trails. Like I follow foolish rules like that.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 08:18 AM

Always good to hear from you Vic! wink
Posted By: Renee

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 03:15 PM

Great review! grin

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/20/14 04:57 PM

Nice review Vic! smile
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/24/14 04:50 AM

Oh wellI was trying to hold out. Seeing how I opted to let my RMD go since I had the 411 I was pretty happy. Cash is tight right now with the wife not working, her going through chemo again, and a son that will be 1 on Saturday. Looking back though, I will find a way to raise the money for this blade.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/24/14 06:13 AM

Sumo, Patty has a Birthday as well on Saturday! Um ah but she'll be just a tad over 1. wink

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/24/14 06:13 AM

Prayers and best wishes for your wife. Hope things get back to normal quickly.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/24/14 06:48 AM

Amen to that! smile
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/25/14 07:52 AM

Thanks guys....It will be a special day indeed. Jace will be spending his b-day at a tournament tomorrow with his wrestling family and then we will have the family get together on Wed. It is a fact of life with coaches and their families--everyone has two LOL.

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 01/25/14 08:05 AM

Hope things continue well for all of you. Oh and Happy Birthday Jace!
Posted By: El Bandito

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/08/14 01:38 AM

Thanks for the review HD!
Posted By: tbdoc4kids

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/15/14 03:48 AM

Nice review HD! Got mine and I think I may prefer it to my War Dog.

We will see!
Posted By: tbdoc4kids

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/15/14 03:49 AM

Sumo, hope things get better for your you and your family, especially your wife!

And Happy Birthday to your son!
Posted By: avalenz

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/19/14 03:36 PM

Great review!

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/19/14 03:38 PM

Just not sure if I will use that or my SS5LE more??? o_O

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 02/25/14 04:15 PM

Still can't make up my mind. .....
Posted By: ScrapSquatch

Re: Mud Mutt Review - 03/30/20 09:39 PM