Scrap Yard Knife Company

HELP Junk Yard Program

Posted By: Dumpster Dan

HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 01:51 PM

Dogs

I am working on a special program for those Dogs who have reached the Junk Yard Dog status.

The membership to this program is open to anyone who has at least 1000 post on the Scrap Yard Forum and is in good standing with the Scrap Yard Knife Company.

Some of the ideas that I am kicking around for this program may include things like:
- Priority shipping/order status
- JYD Newsletter for pre-release announcements
- Knife council for input and feedback

I have not finalized any of this and I would like to get your feedback.

If you have any ideas (there are no dumb ideas) on how I could build this program please let me know.

As always, I appreciate your insight.

Dan

Posted By: rth548

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:14 PM

I like the Knife Council idea. There are often ideas kicked around that may or may not work, but some sound very good. The newsletter would also be very welcome, at least to me.
Posted By: gun dog

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:17 PM

Sounds great!!! It would certainly keep every feeling involved and add to the feeling of having a personal stake In the products and future of the yard!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rth548
I like the Knife Council idea. There are often ideas kicked around that may or may not work, but some sound very good. The newsletter would also be very welcome, at least to me.

Thanks. Keep you mind working on what else I can do...maybe nothing smile

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by gun dog
Sounds great!!! It would certainly keep every feeling involved and add to the feeling of having a personal stake In the products and future of the yard!

That's a good point. I was in the mind set about rewarding those who have achieved JYD status.

Thanks for the feedback and keep thinking about what I can add to the program

Dan
Posted By: Ishikawa

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:42 PM

You might consider having a formal "Test Team", that is limited in number (moreso than even the JYD's). Establish a report format that should be delivered based on different circumstances of use that folks in the Test Team could execute on…and require them to submit feedback on the forums and through SYKCO. The feedback could be looped into the product pages as well, if you wanted it to….for folks to read in a condensed manner.

The Test Team may vary for each release…perhaps you could contact the JYD's and see who's available to test a knife with certain expectations on quality of feedback. Internally, SYKCO could rank those reviews (for their merit) and start building a list of trusted Test Team members that you can count on.

I'm glad to see you post this up, Dan. As of now, the JYD list just means you're good at posting info on the internet….it's not a validation of knowledge or interests. Your interaction here (on the board) is critical to keep young and old not yet recruited JYD's engaged in SYKCO's future.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:56 PM

PS - Regarding Newsletter. I don't understand the concept of limiting this to JYD's. You have already leveraged the Busse-kin Newsletter from Pokey very well. However, I would just aim to use it for ALL of your releases. The 11-11 never made it to the newsletter (that I recall). Additionally, it would be ideal if the newsletter announcements were sent at the same time as items being launched in the storefronts (for all of Bussekin).

Perhaps you're thinking of something different? Regardless, I like the newsletter concept. If executed well, it means I don't have to be on the boards every single day and I get access to announcements.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 02:59 PM

How about a Test Team Council?
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:13 PM

I would like to see JYD numbers on the blades available again. Even if there were an extra charge.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:14 PM

The test team certainly brings a unique idea to the table. But with many JYDs how do you pick? I love the idea but that will be difficult to execute. But it would allow you to post user feedback in the knife right on the knife description page so people purchasing it would get real feedback on design and performance.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:14 PM

JYD numbers mean a lot to most of us here.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:22 PM

JYD numbers mean a lot to most of us here.

I meant no disrespect. I think, however, you have to be careful to use words like "most", when "most" of the JYD's don't actually post here actively.

Mine…it is mine. However, it was set arbitrarily. I have it on my 1311, on some sheaths, and I was lucky enough to get my coin as well! But, it is what it is…121. I value more that I'm a JYD than the number itself, which distinguishes me from others….we're a pack of rabid dogs, that's all laugh

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:25 PM

Well maybe I need to use it differently. But if I'm buying an exspinsive blade and I have invested my time into being part of the JYD group. I'd atleast like to see that recognized.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:26 PM

Some of us never found our challenge coins so a number on a blade is the best we get so to speak

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 03:30 PM

Some of us never found our challenge coins so a number on a blade is the best we get so to speak

I think most of the pack agrees with this…even Dan has acknowledged it (which is why he put it on a few blades).

Maybe it's time for a new challenge coin? Updated and revised with some of Rob's cool graphics? Problem is…we can't ask Dan to "hold them back" for all of the folks that aren't around anymore. That's the challenge…(/zing!)

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 04:08 PM

Make the coins to order, stamped from INFI. Maybe this will eliminate the problem of still having coins left from 6 years ago.
Posted By: yesh

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 04:16 PM

Reduced cost pricing would be awesome and does follow suit the spirit of the Price/Performance ratio..... wink
Posted By: tbdoc4kids

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 05:05 PM

I like the knife council idea and getting my JYD number on blades would be great.

I agree with those above who say a newsletter should be widely disseminated, but getting priority on ordering would be appreciated. Not sure how that could be handled at the online store.

As another whose coin was gone before I made JYD, I would love to see a new run. Perhaps those of us who are interested could reserve our coins and they could be made to order?

Thanks to Dan for encouraging and rewarding us dogs!
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 05:53 PM

Dan, all those ideas are good of course. But I think the second two might be the most appreciated, notice I said Might.

Thanks for once again coming up for something for Us Dawgs.
Posted By: adnj

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:16 PM

Any advanced info would be appreciated. That could get the info on the board and circulated.

A group of testers that will post pictures, comparisons and opinions is crucial to a product that does not have a dealer network.

Although I like the idea of free shipping, guaranteed first in line, etc., those are expensive policies to maintain in the long run.

I really liked the JYD numbers that were added to the 1311s, items that are members' only offerings, limited time discounts, etc.

Those are great ideas - keep the beer/whisky and bacon sales copy coming, too. smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:18 PM

So far as a challenge coin substitute is concerned, just give me a 3x5 card with my number on it!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by adnj
So far as a challenge coin substitute is concerned, just give me a 3x5 card with my number on it!

Or, 2x3 velcro backed patch laugh

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:27 PM

Maybe the option of different colored finishes for JYD's would be something, or perhaps a LE satin finished edition for JYD's only. With numbers, of course.
Posted By: tedwca

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:50 PM

I actually prefer not having numbers. I was only able to get one knife with my JYD #8 in all the releases that had numbers. I prefer non numbered knives personally.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 06:55 PM

I'm talking about requesting your number, not just a regular practice of numbering all releases. And it would be for JYD's only, participation optional.
Posted By: luck

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 07:29 PM

Maybe a pre-pre-order for JYD's only or the first batch of whatever goes to JYD's first.

How about JYD on the the knives...not necessarily the number but SYCKO JYD looks cool.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 09:38 PM

Maybe the option of different colored finishes for JYD's would be something, or perhaps a LE satin finished edition for JYD's only. With numbers, of course.

I agree with Todd! I value the different colors in the blades and handles. I have been able to attend only one Blade show and will return again someday, but that is where variations are most readily available. If these variations could be also made available to the Dedicated Junk Yard Dogs, it would be much appreciated.
And I would consider it to be an HONOR to be included in a Test Team project.
Posted By: bema

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 09:52 PM

patches sounds like a nice idea.

I also like the idea of different kind of test teams that already have been mentioned.. you´ve got JYD´s all over the world ready to test all kind of different environments, conditions, hikes, hunts, treks, etc.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 10:07 PM

I REALLY like this idea, including patches! smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 10:47 PM

^^^ YUP!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 10:50 PM

Yep. Because I am still pining away for a never available black handle on the now-discontinued Mud Mutt (some people got them though). laugh

Originally Posted by Private Klink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 10:52 PM

Yep. Because I am still pining away for a never available black handle on the now-discontinued Mud Mutt (some people got them though). laugh

WHAT! You mean you didn't get yours yet. wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 11:00 PM

Wise guy! laugh
Posted By: greaser

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 11:02 PM

sounds like my fellow dogs have it covered here a moral patch would be sick though.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/02/14 11:11 PM

Wise guy! grin

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hooker

I agree with Todd! I value the different colors in the blades and handles. I have been able to attend only one Blade show and will return again someday, but that is where variations are most readily available. If these variations could be also made available to the Dedicated Junk Yard Dogs, it would be much appreciated.

Orange Handles + Ghost Camo for JYD's!!!
Posted By: J&G Designs

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 03:51 AM

Everyone's ideas sound great! I just find it amazing & great that Dan involves and ask input from his JYD's! This is why I love this place, Pack mentality!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by J&G Designs
Everyone's ideas sound great! I just find it amazing & great that Dan involves and ask input from his JYD's! This is why I love this place, Pack mentality!

+1

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 06:07 AM

That's the way to run a Scrap Yard!!! grin
Posted By: avalenz

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 07:38 AM

Every dog has their place and move as one!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 07:38 AM

Every dog has his place and the pack moves as one.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 10:10 AM

The last all black MM must have gone to some guy in the Show Me state. I heard that he's using it to slice up his breakfast biscuits and gravy. banghead wink

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter

WHAT! You mean you didn't get yours yet. wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 10:11 AM

Double post courtesy of Tapatalk. frown

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ishikawa
PS - Regarding Newsletter. I don't understand the concept of limiting this to JYD's. You have already leveraged the Busse-kin Newsletter from Pokey very well. However, I would just aim to use it for ALL of your releases. The 11-11 never made it to the newsletter (that I recall). Additionally, it would be ideal if the newsletter announcements were sent at the same time as items being launched in the storefronts (for all of Bussekin).

Perhaps you're thinking of something different? Regardless, I like the newsletter concept. If executed well, it means I don't have to be on the boards every single day and I get access to announcements.

Interesting feedback

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
How about a Test Team Council?

Good feedback

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
I would like to see JYD numbers on the blades available again. Even if there were an extra charge.

Another interesting idea

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by A_Fond_Farewell
Reduced cost pricing would be awesome and does follow suit the spirit of the Price/Performance ratio..... wink

Nice

Thanks for the idea

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:43 PM

Any advanced info would be appreciated. That could get the info on the board and circulated.

A group of testers that will post pictures, comparisons and opinions is crucial to a product that does not have a dealer network.

Although I like the idea of free shipping, guaranteed first in line, etc., those are expensive policies to maintain in the long run.

I really liked the JYD numbers that were added to the 1311s, items that are members' only offerings, limited time discounts, etc.

Those are great ideas - keep the beer/whisky and bacon sales copy coming, too. smile

Good feed back

I had not thought of shipping

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:45 PM

Or, 2x3 velcro backed patch laugh

You Dogs are good, cards and patches....cool

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by tedwca
I actually prefer not having numbers. I was only able to get one knife with my JYD #8 in all the releases that had numbers. I prefer non numbered knives personally.

What if I have a release with numbers and the JYD's were reserved for a short period of time for JYDs?

Not sure I can pull it off but it might be worth a shot if their is interests from the JYDs

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by luck
Maybe a pre-pre-order for JYD's only or the first batch of whatever goes to JYD's first.

How about JYD on the the knives...not necessarily the number but SYCKO JYD looks cool.

Interesting ideas

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hooker

Good feedback

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by bema
patches sounds like a nice idea.

I also like the idea of different kind of test teams that already have been mentioned.. you´ve got JYD´s all over the world ready to test all kind of different environments, conditions, hikes, hunts, treks, etc.

World Wide

Interesting

Thanks

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 03:44 PM

That's an interesting idea!

(Maybe have a special JYD logo, too. I was a sucker for the old logo.)

Originally Posted by Dumpster Dan
Originally Posted by tedwca

What if I have a release with numbers and the JYD's were reserved for a short period of time for JYDs?

Not sure I can pull it off but it might be worth a shot if their is interests from the JYDs

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 06:06 PM

Yep the old logo is bad ars!!!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 06:29 PM

I liked the old school 'ears down' logo. My favorite by far. That logo with "JYD" etched on it somewhere would be pretty awesome.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 08:46 PM

Amen Brother!!! smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 08:53 PM

Hey, how about an exclusive knife offering called the Junk Yard Dog? Old school logo, too!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 08:54 PM

GREAT idea Adam!!! grin

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 08:55 PM

Thanks, Tom! I'm sure something like that would require a TON of interest from the JYDs to get it moving.

There's no way I'm the first to come up with this idea.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 09:47 PM

Everybody likes to be treated a little special! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 09:56 PM

Maybe we can do raffles to see which JYD gets to come up with the idea for the next knife..... smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 09:58 PM

Hey, how about an exclusive knife offering called the Junk Yard Dog? Old school logo, too!

I'd be up for that!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 10:19 PM

I LIKE it!!! grin

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/03/14 10:48 PM

Sounds good to me smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 01:31 AM

That would work! I remember a poll where the "next offering" had options that were selected by vote.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 01:33 AM

That would be so sweet. A JYD knife! This is starting to look like a SY forum knife... SWEET!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 01:41 AM

And did I say that I really liked Dan's idea of serializing some of the blades and/or making JYD numbers available for a time during the initial release.
Posted By: J33psr0ck

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 04:18 AM

Different color handles etc would be cool.
Posted By: Hooplehead

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 05:08 AM

The fact that Dan would propose something like this at all is what makes Scrapyard a top notch company and this forum a great place to hangout. Thanks for thinking of us Dan!

I like the ideas proposed so far: JYD #s, patches, etc.

If it's possible, and not a total hassle, handle and coating color options for JYDs would be awesome, and just what many of us have been wanting I suspect. I don't want to have to go to the swamp just to get something Muddy!! Could be as simple as a request in the comment box so nothing has to change on the site...no one who didn't know would be the wiser.

Concerning a Test Team or Review Council or whatever, I would be very eager to play a part. Participation could be by invitation only or by volunteer, depending on how it was to work, how many people, etc.

I agree with the suggestion of some form of outline for testing. That way you get more feedback about what you want to know, rather than what we might think you want to know about the design. Also, perhaps a glimpse into how internal testing is done by Scrapyard, so we can have a better idea of what you already know VS what you want to know.

In terms of what was said about the newsletter:
Exclusivity is awesome and is something that would be nice for us JYDs in some form or another, but I don't think the newsletter should be limited. From a busisness perspective, I would think you would want to make newsletter distribution as broad as possible. Having said that, it could be an advantage with very limited offers, which might be what you had in mind.

That's all for now. I'll keep thinking.

Posted By: t1m0

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 07:48 AM

I liked the old school 'ears down' logo. My favorite by far. That logo with "JYD" etched on it somewhere would be pretty awesome.

+1

I think the old logo was better than the new one. The old logo could be used for JYD´s only.

I also liked the test team / council idea. We have had our chances to influence the upcoming knife model but more intence cooperation with the BigDog would be really interesting and unique compared to other manufacturers.

Posted By: Claudiasboris

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 11:12 AM

Thanks Dan! I really like the fact that you're so keen on "rewarding" JYDs. It's one of the things that make this place feel like a real community, a true brotherhood!

As far as a newsletter is concerned, I think that others have covered that already: no need for exclusivity, keep everyone in the loop.

Test-team sounds like an awesome idea. We have JYDs of varying ages and experiences (both of which is important in reviews, I think) as well as spread around the world. It'd be cool to get reviews from Australia, the UK and Europe and all over the US (I'm sure we're other places too!) showing how the knife copes with different environments and techniques.

I like the Knife Council idea too. There seem to be no end of suggestions for new SYKCO steels on here.

While numbers is a nice idea, I must admit that I like the SYKCO JYD writing better. Using different logos may add extra costs which detracts from the Yard's affordability, I think.

Cards and patches are awesome ideas! JYD T-shirts and hoodies?

Discounts and free shipping would be supremely awesome ways to say "thank you" (I'm in the UK and shipping is starting to become a limiting factor: $120 on my last order and the customs charge was £120+).

Thanks.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 12:48 PM

Also, can we get some stuff made of shiny INFI?..... smile
Posted By: Sethrotull

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 01:02 PM

I like the ideas so far. Would love a TT again and different color options along with JYD numbers.

This one might be a little out there; Differential Heat treatment option for larger blades! I would pay more for this I swear it makes a difference.

Thanks Dan alway nice you keep the Dogs in mind.
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 06:43 PM

I love the idea of having a group of testers. One of the reasons I came to this site was because I saw a destruction test on an INFI blade.
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 07:19 PM

Testers would be a pretty good deal.
Posted By: VANCE

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 07:59 PM

EVERYTHING SOUNDS GOOD TO ME

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/04/14 11:46 PM

There it is!!! grin
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 06:14 AM

I guess I am in the minority here
It seems to me that every time Dan tries to do something nice for the JYD's we get an influx on new posters
These guys tend to post one or two word posts or nonsense just to hit 1,000 posts, then they get what they want and disappear

I do think that ideas like knife council, or priority shipping are good ideas, as is the ability to purchase certain swag items like JYD cards

I just don't want to see the JYD status turned into an advantage for re-sellers that are only interested in maximizing their profits from selling JYD variants

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 06:20 AM

Unfortunately there is that Bill. But WE have to remember they are still customers. And Without customers there wouldn't be any Scrapyard.
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 12:59 PM

True Bill, but it also brings in a few folks that stick around and contribute to the group. The JYD's that stick around are growing and changing constantly.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 01:01 PM

Hey MB, have you seen where Missouri it trying to pull a CT. Ban?

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by coyotebc
It seems to me that every time Dan tries to do something nice for the JYD's we get an influx on new posters
These guys tend to post one or two word posts or nonsense just to hit 1,000 posts, then they get what they want and disappear

I do think that ideas like knife council, or priority shipping are good ideas, as is the ability to purchase certain swag items like JYD cards

I just don't want to see the JYD status turned into an advantage for re-sellers that are only interested in maximizing their profits from selling JYD variants

I thought this before and you said it! I agree 100% with you Bill!

I hate that one word posting! Sometimes it´s fun and it may have a certain purpose (other than gaining ones personal post count) but mainly it´s something I don´t like here!

I wasn´t pleased to see the mighty 1311 JYD´s only knife beeing sold to resellers.

Being a JYD is something I´m proud of. I really feel like being a part of the pack and the brotherhood. Once I had the honor to meet another JYD, Rasmus, and allthough it was a brief moment (one beer) it felt like we had a connection right away (despite of my lousy english).

I don´t have a solution to this "problem". Perhaps there is no problem, but now when I visit here more seldom than before it´s nicer to read something with meaning than just pages of words.

Though it´s always nice to see the familiar dogs here and feel like coming home.

Long live the brotherhood of the yard!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 01:14 PM

Hi LARS!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 01:18 PM

Yeah...

Thanks Stinky...

So, about the brotherhood...
Posted By: gunfixrjoe

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 02:04 PM

I definitely seem to be one of the people you speak of. I do wish I had more time to post here, but I usually just have time to lurk, or even more often, just have nothing to say or add to a conversation. However, I'm one of the biggest fans of Scrapyard. I work closely with our combat forces, and encourage them to look into Bussekin daily. I also EDC a variety of Bussekin, primarily Scrapyard. My point it this, just because I don't have an extremely high daily post count, why should that exclude me from anything special. I'm not trying to stir anything up, just want people to understand that its not all about the forum posting, its about the knives and the use that they get.

This is the coolest forum on the web and it represents the finest knives on the planet, imho. Personally, out of all the things suggested in this thread, the Test Team interests me the most. Hell, I'd do it just for the fun of it. Beat it, review it, return it. I wouldn't even need anything in return.

Sorry for the rant.........
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 02:20 PM

Well, having a JYD number has not meant having access to special knives or prices for a long time. The Mud Mutt and sheath was offered at a special price to everyone. No JYD number was required.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 02:24 PM

Offer whatever bennies to the JYDs that actively contribute and give us posers nothing. Problem solved.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by gunfixrjoe

I definitely seem to be one of the people you speak of. I do wish I had more time to post here, but I usually just have time to lurk, or even more often, just have nothing to say or add to a conversation. However, I'm one of the biggest fans of Scrapyard. I work closely with our combat forces, and encourage them to look into Bussekin daily. I also EDC a variety of Bussekin, primarily Scrapyard. My point it this, just because I don't have an extremely high daily post count, why should that exclude me from anything special. I'm not trying to stir anything up, just want people to understand that its not all about the forum posting, its about the knives and the use that they get.

This is the coolest forum on the web and it represents the finest knives on the planet, imho. Personally, out of all the things suggested in this thread, the Test Team interests me the most. Hell, I'd do it just for the fun of it. Beat it, review it, return it. I wouldn't even need anything in return.

This is what makes this "problem" so difficult. I think Bill is speaking about those guys who just write a 1000 posts and then dissapear and when ever there is some use of being a JYD they take advantage of that and dissapear again.

You are still here. You haven´t gone anywhere. That makes a difference.

I don´t like writing this and I feel bad. Who am I to tell people how to make their appearance here and what to write? I´m nobody.

Long live the brotherhood of the yard!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 04:40 PM

I of course don't know Bill's mind, but I think he was referring to those that attain JYD states ONLY to get a lot of knives and then "Flip" for an outrageous profit.
Posted By: tbdoc4kids

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 05:25 PM

I don't think there is any way to avoid some "gaming" of the system and while it may be annoying, the advantages to special status or offerings for JYDs outweighs that annoyance for me.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 09:18 PM

The point, as i see it, is that to be a real JYD...it has nothing to do with # of posts. That is just a milestone that someone came up with to provide some quantifiable measure for determining a status. It was, and is arbitrary.

As an example. Tom is JYD #1. Now, Tom is a great guy, and I don't think many here could argue differently. He's fair and welcoming and charming with the ladies. However, just because he has posted more than 1k posts has nothing to do with why people appreciate and/or respect him. They are mutually exclusive events.

So, draw a line. JYD is just a post status. This is a forum, and most forums place status / value on # of posts...because there is no other way to quantify the relationship. Thus, we should be careful when drawing comparisons of JYD as it relates to being proud of being a ScrapYard Fan and a part of this local online community.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/05/14 11:56 PM

This thread is starting to feel like we are discussing politics..... frown

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 12:23 AM

I apologize if I took statements wrong and vented on it slightly..........
Posted By: luck

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 01:27 AM

I thought it was supposed to be a fun thing...maybe I'm wrong frown Maybe we should all just party drink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 01:55 AM

I feel like I've added to that. My apologies. I was just trying to say it's deeper than the post count, in my mind....it's a brotherhood. With that I will digress and get back on track.

I like most of the ideas posted thus far. It's good to see everyone coming up with unique ideas on how we can best participate in the future of the company.

Thanks again, Dan!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 02:11 AM

The funny thing is I don't even look at post counts. I know the user names of the fellow guys that make this place so great. Wish there was a way to measure that.
As ticked off as I was at watching the MOAD release be so brutally taken advantage of. It had to still make Dan some small profit or he wouldn't have done it. Test teams should be built with active guys with good reputations on the forums. Our mods know who these guys are and would be willing to help Dan if he asked I bet. Let's not over look the kindness Dan is showing us over some petty complaints.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 03:21 AM

i think we should base it on join date......no politics involved

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 03:22 AM

smile

teeheee

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 03:23 AM

max is wondering what the conbfusion is about

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 03:41 AM

PoliTICKLE FIIIIIIGHT! TICKLE, TICKLE, TICKLE!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by VANCE
max is wondering what the conbfusion is about

Just the fact that so many people name their Dog's "Max", surely solidifies my position as a JYD...if nothing else but by association.

Adam, stop kidding around man. This is serious!!! JYD's don't tickle. If you tickle too much, you'll go blind!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb
True Bill, but it also brings in a few folks that stick around and contribute to the group. The JYD's that stick around are growing and changing constantly.

Very true
Much of the fresh blood that comes along and stays are a result of such events
In fact it was the 300,000 post patch that really started me to participate in this forum

If Dan didn't do things like the 1311 release we could be in danger of this forum going stagnant

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:11 AM

Fellow Dogs, Dan had a great idea and asked for our input. Let's keep it on "high ground" and positive, the way that it SHOULD be. The Yard has always been special; we try to help our Brethren even regarding ganzas. It takes all kinds to make up the world, but we can still keep the Yard a great place. wink Long Live the Brotherhood!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:14 AM

Adam, stop kidding around man. This is serious!!! JYD's don't tickle. If you tickle too much, you'll go blind!

That explains a lot. I was just thinking I need to turn some lights on because I'm having trouble seeing.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:17 AM

eek Good grief!!! shocked

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:30 AM

Not in the least
I would be the last one to throw stones about someone not posting
I am the perfect example of "life happens"
There have been numerous months where I have posted less than 10 posts, sometimes this can go on for months
I apologize if I caused offense.

I was talking about people that clearly joined in order to get a reward that they could turn around and sell at a profit, and then we never see them again

So to my mind there are a couple of different things Dan can do

One class of things he can do is, marketing driven such as special colour combination knives or handle type
This could both increase traffic on this forum and drive up collectability of certain knives
This could increase sales

The second class of things could be not related to increase sales
Things like knife council, or pre-ordering privileges

Once again I am not the type of guy that Dan is going to get rich off of (no offense intended)as I have only purchased four knives, one sheath and a baseball hat since I have been here (this includes the mud mutt that my kids bought for me)

My original comment was simply aimed at what could be done for those members that add quality to this forum

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 04:44 AM

Fellow Dogs, Dan had a great idea and asked for our input. Let's keep it on "high ground" and positive, the way that it SHOULD be. The Yard has always been special; we try to help our Brethren even regarding ganzas. It takes all kinds to make up the world, but we can still keep the Yard a great place. wink Long Live the Brotherhood!

One of the great things about the yard is it's inclusiveness
You can have a million posts like Randy or a newbee with one post and everyone will show you respect

I was on a different forum that had a special sub-forum
The only way to read or post in that sub-forum was to reach a certain number of posts and then ask to join
It was a good idea that didn't work as eventually the "old guys" started to only post in the locked sub-forum and the open sub-forums suffered
I haven't posted there in years as it became sort of unfriendly to new people

I only bring this up as I like the idea of JYD perks, but I love the inclusiveness of this forum even more

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 08:20 AM

Well I just learned something new by watching the Outdoor channel.

It seems that ARMSCOR weapons are made in the Philippens! Didn't know that. Probably just goes to prove I don't mess with guns all that much any more.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 12:45 PM

Wow, this was not my intent from my earlier post. I apologize if I may have stirred the pot. I am quite sorry.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/06/14 12:51 PM

Joe, don't worry.....be happy! grin

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 02:29 AM

Wow, this was not my intent from my earlier post. I apologize if I may have stirred the pot. I am quite sorry.

No worries, you didn't start anything
We all just hang loose here

To quote Jerry
"LET'S DRINK"

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 04:23 AM

What are we talking about?

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 06:08 AM

Dan's suggestion! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 06:51 AM

After all this time I still find it amazing that the company owner will spend so much time interacting and LISTENING to his customer base.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 06:53 AM

Part of the joy of dealing with a small company and great owner! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 07:03 AM

That's a good point. I was in the mind set about rewarding those who have achieved JYD status.

Dan

I was thinking maybe JYDs would be allowed one "custom" from the yard per calender year. When I say "custom" I mean handle color and blade coating color and profile of past or existing models. NO satin DC Comp or bare metal finishes just to keep the spirit of the yard with Combat grade price point to performance. LE and SE will still be the hardest to get.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 07:04 AM

I'm sure Dan will develop something using our suggestions. wink
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 09:44 AM

OK, now casting my mind back the FDM (MOAD to some less cultured than I) was not limited to JYDs but to folks who were a member by a certain date. The only advantage to being a JYD was that Dan would add your JYD # for free. Now in most books that JYD # will LOWER the resale value of the knife. Lets not confuse the prospect of an offering to JYDs and the FDM that was to members. And yes there was a fair chunk of the FDM sales that went to new members, but they are still sales for Dan.

I take more value from good sound input being received and worked on than any amount of special offers/extra discounts etc. The best ideas I have heard from this are the Test Team/Council as this can be used to shape future offerings and maybe the idea of holding back JYD# LE/SR blades for a period to allow the appicable JYD to have first refusal if you will - with a time limit of say a couple of weeks from release (that helps to keep folks hanging around the forum here as well).

Maybe some small amout of non-standard colour offerings for JYDs ?? I dunno but maybe it is workable. Patches/coins/stickers are of little interest to me T-shirts I use the hell out of and in fact I spent today in one of the older Yard shirts).

I mostly want Dan to listen to us about design and to keep making great knives with the right price v performance ratio.
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/07/14 01:08 PM

There are some people on this forum that have an extensive knowledge/opinion of knives, steel, fit, durability, etc.

I'm not one of them, but I'm smart enough to listen to them and would be extremely interested in any of their opinions or test results of a new product.

One of my Christmas presents came directly from the folding knife thread.

I too am not a prolific poster, but I read the forums at least once per day. And I agree, being a member of the yard is more than be awarded a number. But if having that number is a real concern, offers that use the JYD number as a prerequisite could be a limited offer. One per JYD number on new pre-release offers for example.

Boss calling, back to work...

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 02:41 AM

Welp big dog...what's the verdict? I think we about petered out of idears.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 03:51 AM

I say it's sip and talk time again.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 06:13 AM

Andy and Mastiff, Y'all both have some really good ideas. And YES, it isn't about the status/number of posts but about the products we all care for and even more so the people. Being able to discuss and virtually anything with like minded individuals. I am a JYD, but most importantly I found the good folks here, on a forum that Dan has provided to showcase his wares and for our enjoyment as "Brothers of the Yard".

I display my JYD proudly, but my shirt says SYKCO first!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 07:27 AM

We are ALL Dogs, JYD or not! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 03:35 PM

Some of us are even Devil Dogs.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 06:00 PM

Amen Brother.............Semper Fi! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 06:11 PM

and some of us cleared the way for you, sissies won't even walk into a mine field jeez. lol

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 08:44 PM

And SOME of us were good enough and had enough sense to NOT walk into a mine field/booby trap area!!! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 08:56 PM

Now we are getting creative smile

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 09:04 PM

Ranting is not all bad... (only if it goes on and on)...sometimes ya just need to get it off your chest smile

Thanks for the input

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 09:08 PM

What about the amount one can drink LOL

Some Dogs can really put away the soda smile

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by avalenz

Dan

I was thinking maybe JYDs would be allowed one "custom" from the yard per calender year. When I say "custom" I mean handle color and blade coating color and profile of past or existing models. NO satin DC Comp or bare metal finishes just to keep the spirit of the yard with Combat grade price point to performance. LE and SE will still be the hardest to get.

Interesting idea

Thanks
Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 09:14 PM

Welp big dog...what's the verdict? I think we about petered out of idears.

Give me a little time to work out the details and stay posted

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 09:45 PM

We have had some small knives medium knives and large recently.
How about a fighting utility type blade for the JYDs? Something for the zombie apocalypse or Armageddon or whatever you have a BOB for.

A modified spear point type blade. Light enough for CQB but with the strength that makes yard knives so famous.

About a 5 to 6 inch long blade. 1 3/8-1 1/2 inches tall 3/16 inch thick

Full flat or saber grind.

And add either the full size handle or the regulator handle.

Then add color selection. Tan/black. Old yard logo. JYD on the blade behind the logo or on the opposite side. Number optional.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/08/14 10:17 PM

And SOME of us were good enough and had enough sense to NOT walk into a mine field/booby trap area!!! wink

Lol hey someone has to clear it.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 06:43 AM

Some of us are even Devil Dogs.

Oh NO, not again! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 07:52 AM

Lol never ends

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 08:22 AM

Semper Fi.................forever!!!! grin

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 06:51 PM

You know I have been on forums that they have a thanks button that could help with who gets on a test team if there is one. Just an idea, JYDs get the thanks button on there posts then the top 5 or 10 or whatever get on the test team first. Now this is just hypothetical because Dan would first have to start a test team. But a cool idea I think.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 07:07 PM

Strange I've never seen that and I'm not completely sure I understand. Is it just saying thanks for help with reviews questions and such?

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 08:24 PM

Not directly applicable...but in an effort to grow interaction and expand the JYD program...have you considered moving the forums over to BladeForums? Both of the other Kin are there...has it been useful or helpful for them in any way? Does it give them any additional exposure? Does it make life easier for the business at all? You have probably already considered this, but thought I would bring it up.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 08:37 PM

What about the amount one can drink LOL

Some Dogs can really put away the soda smile

Dan

Lord knows I love me some Wild Cherry Pepsi
Posted By: DogTired

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 09:00 PM

A council??? You need more than the Squirrel, advisor on the MOAD and the el muk?

How about special discounts smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 09:02 PM

Test team would be cool.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 09:04 PM

Maybe some way to utilize the experience or at least the boredom of the 10k posters?

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 09:06 PM

And keep the Yard here. BF has a different feel than th3 Swamp or the Yard. My 2 bits.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 09:59 PM

Yep if someone post something helpful or appreciated there fellow dogs can click the thanks button and it adds to a meter.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 10:22 PM

No not bladeforums. I come here for a reason!

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/09/14 10:42 PM

Mine was in response to your question GD I don't know why I didn't see the rest of the comments in between that and this.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 01:34 AM

Ok that's neat. We all help each other so much around here we would have so many likes or whatever lol
Posted By: J&G Designs

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 01:53 AM

If it wasn't for BF having a exchange where I can sell my sheaths, I would be here more often than BF. This is a much friendlier place to talk with liked minded friends.
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 02:43 AM

I am liking a TT council that is revolving to different members who can participate (I am in). Also good for a number on the blades for JYD if they would like them on the blade. I am in on a discount for JYD's who helped get the SY blades out there and known to more people.

What I am NOT for is moving to BF. If the Yard moved there I would not be seen more than likely as I don't feel like it is a comfortable place there for me. Just saying that the old SY board was my home, just as this is my homw when I get on a computer these days.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 02:56 AM

You guys are funny. Soooo protective laugh

I was more just curious if Busse and/or Swamp saw any impact to sales from having forums on BF.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 06:55 AM

There's no place like our Scrap Yard home! smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 07:00 AM

There's no place like our Scrap Yard home! smile

You just said it all smile

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/10/14 07:06 AM

Dan, bringing the family to Blade? confused

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/11/14 01:23 AM

Dan, bringing the family to Blade? confused

My son Mike for sure...maybe the girls. I'm not sure Mrs B can handle the trip...she is going to be 90 this June and is getting around a little slower but not by much. She still wants to know if her buddy Klink is active on the forum. I always tell her that you wouldn't know any other way smile Patti is a maybe at this point

Dan

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/11/14 02:08 AM

I don't think I would post or visit nearly as much if this site became part of Bladeforums
I think this site and group of members are special and I think we would lose this if we became part of BF

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/11/14 06:42 AM

Dan, please tell Mrs. B that I think of her often and hope that she's doing well. wink And the girls; the last time I saw Theresa she was 14 years old...good grief! I hope that they and Patti can make it; sure would be nice to see them again! smile

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/16/14 02:16 AM

+1^^^
I may make it to blade one day but, if I cant these ideas would be great alternatives for a JYD that can't make the trip

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/16/14 07:07 AM

You need to make it to Blade! wink
Posted By: Psyop

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/17/14 09:16 PM

Im down for whatever
Posted By: Hooplehead

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/18/14 06:06 AM

Some form of raffle for a complete set of the 11 series, including the 1311, would be cool.

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/18/14 02:48 PM

I wonder how long it would be before that showed up on eBay or the exchange?!!? smirk

Not everyone has the same ideas! wink

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/21/14 02:17 AM

...I think this site and group of members are special...

That's what my mom always told me anyway....and the driver of the short yellow school bus....

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/21/14 02:37 AM

The one that strapped you in your seat?

Re: HELP Junk Yard Program - 03/21/14 03:29 AM

Must have been a really small seat-belt in order to fit a squirrel! grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums