Scrap Yard Knife Company

I lost my best friend!

Posted By: DogTired

I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 01:56 PM

Went out hunting this AM and I LOST MY WAR DOG!!!! That was my favorite hunting blade ever! I'm so bummed!!! And the day before my birthday too! (sob sob)
Posted By: Feldgrun

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 02:01 PM

So sorry to hear that. Let me know where approximately it was so I can...uh, help you find it.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 02:29 PM

Crap, I read the thread title and thought you were gonna say something like your dog had passed.

Sorry you lost your knife.
Posted By: GeneralDelivery

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 02:34 PM

That's a real bummer D/T. Sorry to hear that.
Posted By: gun dog

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 03:27 PM

Gosh that sucks!!! Get a metal detector and for for a hike!!! Was it in a sheath or come out of one?
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 03:47 PM

Squirrels shouldn't be so careless! smirk It IS a major bummer though; sorry to hear it. frown
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 06:04 PM

Sorry to hear this. I hope you can find it.
Posted By: adnj

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 06:56 PM

No way! Sorry to hear that. I still feel badly after losing a $15 AAA flashlight earlier this year. I can't imagine how badly you must feel. frown

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
Crap, I read the thread title and thought you were gonna say something like your dog had passed.

Well, I did lose my favorite dog grin

Weeds are waist high. I searched for over an hour to no avail. I don't mind breaking gear as much as losing it. Popped out of its sheath...
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
Originally Posted by Spider-Pig

Well, I did lose my favorite dog grin

Weeds are waist high. I searched for over an hour to no avail. I don't mind breaking gear as much as losing it. Popped out of its sheath...

Sorry for your loss DT! Smoke sent...

I've loss a few cheapo knives nothing cool like the War Dog, but its the reason my knives are all in cordura with the strap to secure it. The others were just straight kydex/plastic
Posted By: ColdOne

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/16/14 10:57 PM

Real sorry to hear it!

I ended up getting a bunch of lanyards from Swamp Rat years ago that I put on all my bush knives while I'm out playing.

If you want, drop me a pm with your mailing address and I'll see if I can't find a few lanyards to send your way to help prevent this happening again!
Posted By: gun dog

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 12:07 AM

^^^ smart and generous man here!!! I lost my first Leatherman wave when I was 13 had it two years and it was my first knife buy and to a kid a lot of money. Sheath must have come off my belt. Never found it. While not a Busse blade I remember the pain.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Massive Metal

Sorry for your loss DT! Smoke sent...

Hahahahaha!!!!

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 02:32 AM

Thanks ColdOne.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Feldgrun
So sorry to hear that. Let me know where approximately it was so I can...uh, help you find it.

Aaaaaaall heart wink

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 02:37 AM

Only hope is if the farmer ever cuts that field and none of the other doofuses hunting there or the farm hands don't find it first. Even then, chances are pretty slim....

Thanks for the well wishes.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 02:56 AM

Still whining and mourning. It was my only shiny Bussekin AND my only piece of INFI...maybe my oldest will let me borrow the GW VANCE gifted him grin Sad day when I have to go begging my 14 year old to use HIS knives grin

Too bad Dan's warranty doesn't cover stupidity.

We need a War Dog with an orange handle! A Safety Dog to go with the Safety Mutt grin

Hm...I take it back. I have one other shiny Bussekin--Scrap Max. I keep forgetting about it since it's in the kitchen. Best kitchen knife EVER!
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 05:23 AM

SO SORRY To hear about this Josh.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 05:32 AM

Thanks Randy. At least it gives me an excuse to take the 411 out now grin

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 11:35 AM

Don't forget to tie a cord through the lanyard hole and to your belt! whistle.................................... grin
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 03:53 PM

What kind of pants was the War Dog wearing?
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/17/14 07:26 PM

I would retrace your steps before the grass pops back up and look for a shine. If you have a GPS track it. If you don't find it go back in the fall and retrace your steps via GPS and look for a shine. Infi might still be pretty shiny after a couple months in the field.
Posted By: greaser

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/18/14 12:40 AM

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh NNNNNNNNNoooooooooo I am sorry for your loss fellow dog. I hope you can track him down.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/18/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mastiff
What kind of pants was the War Dog wearing?

+1

What sort of sheath failed its retention duty?

Sorry for your loss, but if you have a Survey company nearby you can ask to rent or borrow their magnetometer..it'll locate the knife if you get close enough.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/19/14 01:38 AM

Thanks. MB, it's not grass, it's waist-to-chest high weeds and brush. Lots of poison ivy. SF45ACP has volunteered to use his metal detector to help look. I need to sharpen up the 24" machete. .

As for the sheath, PM me if interested. Would rather not publicly shame an otherwise respected kydex bender.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/19/14 10:18 AM

I'm not interested in the who, I'm more interested in the why. Did the Kydex loosen up over time? Was the retention screw too loose? Did the...operator...not seat the knife firmly? Did heat play a role?

I'm kinda surprised it was Kydex to tell the truth. I suspected it was an old leather sheath that loosened up over time.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/20/14 05:43 AM

No retention screw to speak of. No heat to speak of--it was only about 70 or so. No operator error. Sheath as tight as it ever was. Just didn't have as good of retention as others I've got. Ones that come up over the handle like the Mashed Cat design seem a bit more retentive.
Posted By: GeneralDelivery

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 01:37 AM

Any luck finding it?

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 03:45 AM

Well, I sharpened the machete, but haven't had a chance to drive out to look. Maybe some time this week with any luck. Supposed to be storming all week. That should be awesome for the blade...

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 06:33 AM

Super-squirrels aren't afraid of the rain! smirk Use your super vision to find that knife!!! grin
Posted By: Renee

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 12:53 PM

That really stinks!
Posted By: Rainwalker

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 07:29 PM

Sorry for the loss. I hope it turns back up eventually.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 07:44 PM

Fingers crossed for you finding it

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/21/14 07:48 PM

Tell the kids that a reward is posted for finding it! grin

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/22/14 02:36 AM

HA! My oldest already said "So if I find it, will you give me a hundred bucks? $75? $50! That's my final offer!" And THAT after I found his hunting knife for him after he lost it a couple years back! The little rat! Where does he get that from? Oh wait, I guess I'm a rat with a bushy tail.... grin

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/22/14 12:55 PM

Tell your son I'll give him $75 to find it, and of course I'll pay for the shipping.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/22/14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
HA! My oldest already said "So if I find it, will you give me a hundred bucks? $75? $50! That's my final offer!" And THAT after I found his hunting knife for him after he lost it a couple years back! The little rat! Where does he get that from? Oh wait, I guess I'm a rat with a bushy tail.... grin

Little tree rats don't fall far from the tree! laugh laugh laugh

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/23/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mastiff
Tell your son I'll give him $75 to find it, and of course I'll pay for the shipping.

That's real genero...hey, WAIT a minute!

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/23/14 02:14 AM

Heading out tomorrow or Thursday with any luck. SF let me borrow his metal detector. Picked it up tonight.
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/23/14 08:04 AM

Good luck. I can't stand losing quality gear.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/23/14 03:35 PM

Best of luck D/T! wink

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/24/14 01:43 AM

Well, the three oldest followed me out armed with SF's metal detector, two machetes, the MOAD, and my XdM 45 (there's a bear marking territory in the area). We got caught in a sudden downpour that drenched us to the bone. The weeds were thick and we never found it. We did discover, though, that the 7 year old girl has more sense than the rest of us--she was the only one with the sense to want to get out of the rain. Also learned that the boys LOVE slashing vegetation with machetes. Couldn't get them to stop. Too bad half the weeds out there are poison ivy. Hopefully, no one will start itching tonight...
Posted By: rth548

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/24/14 06:01 AM

Uh oh! I hates poison ivy!

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/24/14 08:01 PM

Hear's a Idea:

Wate untill the son is right hi in the ski and use Google Erth!

Bettcha u kood zoom write in on it frum won of them there sat-a-lights!
Posted By: ColdOne

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/24/14 09:27 PM

Too bad the search didn't work.

Don't give up though, these blades are surprisingly resilient for a non stainless steel.

I've been extremely bad with both my original Dog Father and a Swamp Rat crash axe. Think both put away dripping wet with only a few very small rust like marks on the edge. smile

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/25/14 03:58 AM

Yeah....that War Dog once sat for months covered in deer blood after I forgot to wash it at the end of the season. Two LIGHT surface rust spots that came right off with a couple passes on the strop.
Posted By: greaser

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/25/14 10:22 PM

Bummer I hope it shows up DT.

Re: I lost my best friend! - 07/28/14 05:41 AM

not holding my breath at this point frown
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums