Scrap Yard Knife Company

Ratweiler is back at the swamp

Posted By: feederle

Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/20/15 04:04 PM

For years now there has been a huge demand for the return of the legendary Ratweiler. That call has now been answered!

This Wednesday (10-21-15) The Swamp Rat RATWEILER CG returns!!!

It should hit the Swamp Rat website sometime AFTER 5:00 PM Eastern and will ONLY be available online at www.swampratknifeworks.com

There are no phone orders on Swamp Rat.

A limited number of each thickness has been run and we expect these to sell out fairly quickly.

The RATWEILER CG is being offered in two thicknesses of approx. 3/16" and 1/4".

There are multiple blade finishes and handles available.

Best of luck to those who hope to score!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/20/15 04:04 PM

Is it that good?
Posted By: gun dog

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/20/15 10:46 PM

I'm to broke and I don't think I need this one.
Posted By: Evil Spock

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 12:24 AM

Since when does Jerry speak for/represent the Swamp???
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Evil Spock
Since when does Jerry speak for/represent the Swamp???
.... on and off, always. The Swamp was Jennifer Busse's baby but Jerry always had an input, then The Bully managed it out of house for a bit and now it is back In House, so I am not surprised to see Jerry making their announcements.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 03:42 AM

Jerry is the "B" in Bussekin knives. wink

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 05:30 AM

Is there any knife the Ratweiler compares to? I thought about Buying a Rodent 6 but after watching a review I know think itīs quite useless...
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 06:10 AM

JUST A GUESS on my part, but from what I have heard it favorably compares to the Busse B8, the Yard 911 as far as capabilities are concerned. Yes it's only 7.5 inches but it's supposed to cut/chop WAY beyond what it's size would indicate.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 06:11 AM

JUST A GUESS on my part, but from what I have heard it favorably compares to the Busse B8, the Yard 911 as far as capabilities are concerned. Yes it's only 7.5 inches but it's supposed to cut/chop WAY beyond what it's size would indicate.

I would REALLY like to have one, but with Dan saying his new release is due out pretty quickly I am gonna wait this time to see what he actually brings before I order.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 06:34 AM

Good idea...for you! grin

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 07:16 AM

tnx for the advice! I do have a B8...which sits with a friend in the US and someday I will have it shipped to me... smirk
IF I should go for one - I guess the 3/16? right?
That crazy imperial scale system :P
Posted By: yesh

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by feederle
Is it that good?

IMO, no. If it's popular, it's wrong….. at least most stuff is for me anyways it seems. The mass distribution is pretty poor IMO, comparably speaking. Which will cause it to handle less than optimally and also shock the hand more in chopping or hard impacts along with developing less potential rotational velocity (chopping, snap cuts, etc.)

Compare the 711 to the Ratweiler CG original, which has roughly an identical blade… yet weighs almost half pound more. All that weight is in the tang, the worst place you could add weight to a knife IMO.

Now, the 3/16" version might have slightly better distribution if it has a lower saber grind…. though I'll still pass on both personally. I much prefer the 711 or TGLB if I had to choose something this size.

I pretty much universally avoid full tang knives from Busse/kin if they do not have lightening holes or machining under the handles and are above roughly 5". It makes less noticeable difference in smaller knives than that but the effects are still there and perceivable, just not enough for me to get upset over if I like the other aspects of the knife.
Posted By: Nighthawk

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by feederle
Is there any knife the Ratweiler compares to? I thought about Buying a Rodent 6 but after watching a review I know think itīs quite useless...

Wow, harsh. I love my Rodent 6. Great feel and balance. Stupidly sharp. I've ordered another from the Swamp Custom Shop.

[Linked Image from tasm.net]

I'm passing on the Ratweiler as I already have a 711 and TGLB so I'm comfortably covered.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 04:21 PM

I think I'm gonna pass. I have my Taz Rat and I prefer Res-C above all AND I have some TRASH1 on order sooooooooooo I'm good

I'll wait and see what Dan has next or what Jerry's next Battle Grade is....

MM
cool
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 09:00 PM

I have a 3/16th 'Weiler (TM version) and will happily be ordering the 1/4 this time around.. wink
Posted By: luck

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 09:57 PM

They are up!

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 10:19 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really good price....

MM
cool
Posted By: ScrapPhreak

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 10:30 PM

Was REALLY hoping for the Jungle Green to make an appearance here... frown frown frown
Posted By: RN

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 10:42 PM

Smoking prices!
Posted By: Sethrotull

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 11:00 PM

I'm gonna have to get in.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/21/15 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Smoking prices!

Rn are you in for the 3/16?

I was out but now I may be in...

MM
cool
Posted By: Grog

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 05:36 AM

I opted for a 1/4" orange and black G10 with tanker grey blade. Pretty good price, all things considered.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 06:41 AM

@nighthawk

I watched a review by gideonstactical on youtube.
There the handle was really the bad spot. Choke hold dosenīt work well and the upper guard always bites into yout hand doing so. Also the middle of the handle is supposed to create a hot spot in your hand...did you ever experience any of those problems?
It is said that it might make a good fighting knife but for outdoor/survival itīs far from good...
Posted By: Nighthawk

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 01:16 PM

@feederle

I watched the same review, noted he stated that everything was in his opinion, went and played with my R6 some more and disagreed with him, then ordered a second one from the Custom Shop. smile

Now I have to decide whether I want a Ratweiler as well. At that price it's pretty darned hard to say no.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 03:49 PM

haha ok...so I guess if I get into ordering the Ratweiler...I might as well get a Rodent 6...I like the look but I will just use it for outdoor tasks...no fighting in sight...
have you used it outdoors?
Posted By: Dom

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 05:14 PM

Made the mistake of trading my Ratweiler off a few years ago, now finally I'm able to replace her.
Got my order in for a shiny new 1/4" muddy blade with tan grips. Can't wait to have it in hand.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 08:17 PM

Guys, this is a chance to score a great knife if you don't already have one, and at a GREAT price! wink
Posted By: RN

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Massive Metal
Originally Posted by RN
Smoking prices!

MM
cool

I'm tempted but going to pass. I have a Survive 7/7 on order...and if I didn't have my Battle Rat, I would be all over one of these.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/22/15 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Originally Posted by Massive Metal
Originally Posted by RN
Smoking prices!

MM
cool

I'm tempted but going to pass. I have a Survive 7/7 on order...and if I didn't have my Battle Rat, I would be all over one of these.

Cool! I hope to see a 7/7 review over at BF...I have some Battle Grades on order and some TRASH1 so I am kinda of tapped out...and to be honest I am focusing more on EDC-able blades right now so if Dan wants to release the Mud Puppy I would by a few

MM
cool

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 06:26 AM

The Muppy is GREAT!

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 06:27 AM

MANY years ago someone (I have NEVER found out who) bought one with my JYD number on it and had the owner send it to me. The generosity of the Dogs here NEVER cease to amaze me. GREAT bunch of folks!

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 06:57 AM

If I can just understand why people are opting for the 3/16" I will order one also. It just doesn't seem like a subtle blade.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 07:12 AM

Way back in the dark ages of the Busse Combat Trilogy the Ratweiler came out. YEARS later the Chopweiler came to be. About the only difference (That I can remember) is the handle shape.

OK, the original (I THINK) was 3/16 inch thick, and with the Pixy Dust infused Heat Treat was an unparalleled blade for it's time (both actually). I do not remember of ever hearing of a failure, and believe my they WERE abused! Many folks (Me included) prefer a lighter blade for belt carry. The 3/16 inch width provides some weight saving over the thicker 1/4 inch version, AND being lighter does allow for some "Speed" in the cut, many saying the speed overcomes the weight difference.

True or not, the lighter version WILL be easier to carry over the long haul. If you are not worried about the weight then the 1/4 inch version will just give you that extra bit of confidence in being an almost indestructible blade. AND with the "Kin" warranty, ANY warrantied Busse Kin blade is a no brainer.

For what its worth, I would get the 3/16 inch version and would never look back.

Hope this helps you out Dog.

Randy

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 07:20 AM

Anything you have to offer is usually pretty helpful Mr. Skunk, thank you.

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 07:52 AM

Haha Thank you Sir. Since I am in the "Groove" here is another tidbit gleaned from my VAST years of knowing stuff. smile

Listening to Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon while TRYING to QC warrants is NOT a good idea. I think I flashed back to my Senior HS and 2 years of "Higher" wink learning, and forgot several times what I was doing. Haha, Just saying. wink

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 08:10 AM

Bottom line, IF you have the funds and don't get one, you may find yourself later on cruising the exchange for one.
Posted By: evltcat

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 03:21 PM

The original Ratweilers were .25". The LE Anniversary is .165" (I have one), and a LOT of the diehard RAT's did NOT like it.

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

If you want to get close to the original Ratweiler go for the .25".

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 04:42 PM

I have to agree with Randy, and would go for the 3/16" version. I have an old original .25 and an LE version, and I prefer the lighter weight model. wink
Posted By: yesh

Re: Ratweiler is back at the swamp - 10/23/15 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by evltcat
The original Ratweilers were .25". The LE Anniversary is .165" (I have one), and a LOT of the diehard RAT's did NOT like it.

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

If you want to get close to the original Ratweiler go for the .25".

More is better dontcha know?
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums