Scrap Yard Knife Company

Blade Show

Posted By: Ishikawa

Blade Show - 01/14/16 06:35 PM

Landed an opportunity to run a program in Atlanta...just so happens to coincide with Blade Show laugh Granted, I will be busy till about 5 or 6pm on Friday, but I finally get to be there!! Looking for some insight from those that have participated in the past.

What events are a must (days / times)?

Best places to stay? Preference for Sheraton or Embassy? What's closest to the action?

Besides mentally preparing for the trough stomp...what else should I consider as a show newb?

Thanks!

Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Blade Show - 01/14/16 07:21 PM

Ishi, the show runs from Friday through Sunday afternoon. The first hour on Friday usually offers a 10% discount for the first hour only, then regular show prices. Saturday is a great day to be at the trough for the "feeding frenzies", usually every two hours. Later on after the show closes for the day, Busse rents out the Jocks & Jills restaurant for a nice buffet style meal, then the fun begins! Inductions, and you never know what else Jerry might come up with. Then in the patio area are games/contests for shop credit prizes and socializing with fellow Dogs, Rats, and Hogs. You DON'T want to miss it...LOTS of fun!

There's a LOT of hotels/motels near the Cobb Galleria to choose from. I usually go cheap and stay at the Extended Stay Homestead motel, about 1 mile or so from the Cobb
Galleria. I would rather spend my money on knives than a motel room I won't see much of! wink It's also about 1/3 the cost of the Rennaisance Waverly next to the Galleria. Just Google Smyrna Georgia hotels and motels or Atlanta hotels/motels for location, cost, etc.

It really is a great experience that every knife afficianado should attend at least once in their life!

I should add that the Cobb Galleria is way in the northwest corner of the Atlanta area, practically in Marietta. Nicest place to be for Atlanta! smile
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: Blade Show - 01/14/16 08:53 PM

Remember decent footwear!

Last year, I had on some crappy, but cool shoes, which killed my feet.

And have a good time!
Look out for this Tom Kanik caracter, though!
Posted By: RN

Re: Blade Show - 01/14/16 09:24 PM

Lucky Dog!

Not that I've gone, but I say have fun touring all the other knife makers as well...

Check out Winkler Knives hawks please...I need info!! wink smile

Re: Blade Show - 01/15/16 02:03 AM

Thanks guys! So, other than the 10% discount, looks like I will be ok. Looking forward to the opportunity.
Posted By: scrappy

Re: Blade Show - 01/15/16 02:09 AM

Have fun

Re: Blade Show - 01/15/16 08:04 PM

I think that ANYBODY who attends the Blade show has fun! smile

Re: Blade Show - 01/16/16 03:45 AM

I am surprised Blade West didn't pick up enough momentum to stick around. As you mention blade sounds like a blast. We need more blade shows.

Re: Blade Show - 01/18/16 06:47 AM

I hope that we can keep the Blade show in Atlanta in light of all the doom and gloom the economic experts are predicting! smile It always draws a HUGE crowd!

Re: Blade Show - 01/19/16 04:40 AM

True, I have read some doom and gloom articles but there is always room for the right knife smile
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Blade Show - 01/19/16 06:38 PM

I always carry some sort of small backpack or manpurse to a show like Blade (haven't been to blade, but use to frequent the huge 1500+ table gun shows) so I can keep my hands free while still acquiring some goods.

Re: Blade Show - 01/19/16 07:33 PM

That is an excellent suggestion; a lot of folks have packs or bags to hold their goodies. wink
Posted By: AZMTHotDog

Re: Blade Show - 01/20/16 04:59 PM

At Blade it's fun wearing a chopper all day. wink

Re: Blade Show - 01/20/16 09:00 PM

Great ideas...thank you. It just so happens my addiction to knives is about as prevalent as my addiction to rucks...so, I'm set there.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Blade Show - 01/20/16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ishikawa
Great ideas...thank you. It just so happens my addiction to knives is about as prevalent as my addiction to rucks...so, I'm set there.

SWEET! A fellow pack addict!!!!
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Blade Show - 01/21/16 07:32 AM

Actually I am a pack addict as well, but most of mine come from flea markets. I only have four what I would call Good Quality packs.

1. Maxped Fat Boy
2. 511 Push pack
3. Maxped Condor II
4. Grey Ghost 3 day assault pack.

The first two of course aren't really Packs, but they work for hauling around limited items with the 511 being about half again as large as the Fat Boy.

Re: Blade Show - 01/21/16 07:15 PM

You need to test them out at Blade Randy! grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums