Scrap Yard Knife Company

Chophouse Love Thread

Posted By: SkunkHunter

Chophouse Love Thread - 02/09/16 08:15 PM

OK Dawgs, got my Leaner today and YUP, it's NICE!

Before I actually got it I was having second thoughts wondering if I should have gotten the thick. Well after getting the Leaner in hand and just flicking it up and down with my wrist I am glad I didn't.

It balances nicely in the hand, but when you get that blade moving that thicker part being quite far forward will really make it slam into what ever you are gonna cut. It will Hit a LOT harder than you would think. This, I think, will overcome anything it may give up by being lighter. And by being lighter, it will carry easier.

These knives, the thick and lean will probably go down as another GREAT Chopping classic, in the category of the DF and Ratweiler/Chopweiler, and actually being better choppers than either one of the Weilers.

Now mind you, this is all just speculation as it's to cold and I am to old to get out in it right now. So actual field testing (for me anyway) is just gonna have to wait. But I've got a couple downed widowmakers that need cut up and burned and the Leaner will be just the thing to do the deed, and as Paul Harvey used to say "Stand by for more". smile
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/09/16 10:49 PM

Show off...

Go ahead...rub it in...
Posted By: RN

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 12:04 AM

Chop off!

Chop off!

Chop off!
Posted By: rcb2000

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 12:23 AM

Would love to hear how it does against similar sized choppers...
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 12:43 AM

Mine is at my local PO awaiting my arrival smile

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 01:18 AM

Nice!! Let us know what you think Andy
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 03:10 AM

Won't have mine until Wednesday. Give us a weight of these new choppers please.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 04:13 AM

I passed on the Chop House for some stupid reason. Guess I'll have to scratch that itch with my WTF BG in a couple months.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Architect
Show off...

Go ahead...rub it in...

Gimmie a break, I'm trying. Oh, did I say the Desert Sage and Tan Chophouse Leaner is NICE? smile

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 07:10 AM

OH one thing I did notice that I THINK is different is that the logo "SYKCO" is also powder coated, NOT added after coating.

And I also really like the way that Dan designed the "Choil" on these knives. Look at the pics and you will see it comes straight off the handle and then curves down to meet the edge. I think that this will allow for a VERY comfortable choke up on the blade.

Now I am NOT saying that I had any influence on the shape of this blade, but it IS SORT OF like my Negrito bolo
[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

And I for one am VERY happy Dan designed up this shape blade. Yes it's tip heavy but not overly so. In MY Highly uneducated opinion, the forward bias doesn't really come into play that much until you are swinging it for a chop. Again, just my opinion.

And Again, THANKS DAN. smile
Posted By: Grog

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 07:32 AM

I totally planned on selling either the Lean or Thick Cut depending on which I liked best to help pay off the rest of my Busse and kin tab but now.. I dunno. The Regulator and some others might have to go instead. According to my kitchen scale (nothing precise) the Lean is coming in at 14 oz and the Thick is only 3 oz more.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 07:35 AM

Correction, 15 and 18 oz. respectively.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 07:58 AM

They're going downhill?! CHTC with 911, TRASH-1, and Safety Mutt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ASH-2 with both CH's.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 08:07 AM

There ya go Grog. I guess with your photo hosting site you have to delete everything after the .jpg for the pics to work.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 11:45 AM

It was strange, when I posted those two the first one embedded, the second had the other stuff added in. At least I know what to look for when it happens now, thanks much!

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 01:07 PM

No problem, we do what we can. BTW, you should find the green "Mossy: blade will slide along with a reduced drag on the material you are cutting.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 01:15 PM

Thanks Grog!
That Chophouse is a beast!!
It's good to see it next to the 911 and ASH 2

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 01:30 PM

Another thing I just now noticed. If you will look at Grog's pic above of the ASH2 and his Chophouses blades you'll see that the bottom blade (both actually, but to me the bottom one shows it clearer) handle drops down at the rear. I never noticed this before, but I believe I remember somewhere it being said that this lends to a better chopping experience for some reason or other.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Another thing I just now noticed. If you will look at Grog's pic above of the ASH2 and his Chophouses blades you'll see that the bottom blade (both actually, but to me the bottom one shows it clearer) handle drops down at the rear. I never noticed this before, but I believe I remember somewhere it being said that this lends to a better chopping experience for some reason or other.

My experience on handle angle: the "straighter" (in line with the blade spine) the worse it performs. A handle that angles "downward" seems to increase performance.

Completely unscientific, but my findings nonetheless.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 04:22 PM

Clarification: the "straight handles" seem to CHOP less efficiently than downward angled handles.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter

Didn't notice that,,, I think you're right!
Really excited to hear user reports

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 06:00 PM

Well I haven't actually used it yet, just an observation.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 08:20 PM

Had a couple minutes to beat on a frozen 2x4. Nothing serious but it breezed through all of this. Gypsy approved.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 08:39 PM

Well if Gypsy gave it the OK, then you KNOW it will be a good one!

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 09:26 PM

^That's the truth. I'm really happy with how nimble the Lean works on the smaller stuff.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 11:06 PM

Nice, thanks for the pics!
I love Dachshunds.. great dogs with a lotta heart.
We used to have the long haired euro variety for flushing rabbits,, they would go into any den with no fear..
Posted By: Sethrotull

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/10/16 11:16 PM

Got my CH lean and skinner! The lean is going to be a chopping beast. Can't imagine the thick cut. My 1311 might ( I said might) be up on the block. Skinner is nice but will be going to a friend's kid.
Posted By: scrappy

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/11/16 04:46 AM

I got the thick cut and Need to use it too, by feel, it seems to swing as hard as some of my larger blades. I will find out this weekend. I like the choir on this more than the usual choils
Posted By: Mumbojumboo

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 02:11 AM

I actually said, "WTF.". My second thought was...if the creature from the Black Lagoon needed Knife.... here they are.

[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]mumbo chophouse skinner by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

I think the skinner might be a sleeper. I always liked a curvy blade. While not the best for many situations..... it speaks to my inner pirate. I should have bought 10 of each.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 03:27 AM

So I finally got to pick up my Lean Chop House today, muddy finish. Was thinking this would be the new pack knife while in the boonies. So did some weight comparisons to see how it compared to some others in the rotation.
Basic 8 L.E. 12.5 oz.
Basic 10 L.E. no choil 14.3 oz.
Chop House Lean Cut 15.2 oz.
911 16.7 oz.
These are the 8" to 10.25" lightweight choppers I've tried in the pack for just in case opportunities. I was hoping the Lean Chop House would unseat the B8 as my favorite, but that will be a tall order with it's extra weight. Will have to see if it's extra 1.25" of blade is worth the extra weight. Going camping at the lake tomorrow, so will have to try it out on a little wood processing.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mumbojumboo
[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]

Looks like Dan cut the skinner out of the top of the Chop House

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 05:01 AM

It's been ages since I used photo bucket. Let's see if this worked. I took the chophouse out for some fun with some of my go to Blades and some others. It's not a chop off, because it's not a fair comparison. Lengths, weights etc. but the chophouse did better than everything to the left of it. It weighs 18 ounces. The pestilence chopper weighs 16 ounces, the RD 9 and parang are 20 and 22 ounces, and the machete weighed more but I forget. Any how, the chop house is the shortest of all of them and the second lightest but it out chopped all of them. The blades to the right and longer machete all did well also, but that chop house feels so comfortable. Absolutely awesome. I cut one plank on a pallet per blade, nothing serious but enough to know it chops out of its size.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/terry6540/image_zpshgkhuh9r.jpeg
[Linked Image from i246.photobucket.com]

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sethrotull
Originally Posted by Mumbojumboo
[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]

Looks like Dan cut the skinner out of the top of the Chop House

I hadn't noticed that. I think he did... you know how those scrappers won't waste any steel. Frugal they are.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 05:46 AM

I bet we could jigsaw puzzle a bunch back together.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 06:31 AM

WT M'er F'er FF....my next tattoo. hahahha
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/12/16 05:04 PM

Nice work and pics Scrappy! smile

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 06:54 AM

Thanks Tom. With so many knives there is not a go to knife, but that rd9 has been well used. The chop house is going to replace it for an extended period of time. It will get a lot more use.

Have you been making sheaths for your recent busse kin blades? Was this one a challenge?

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 08:01 AM

sheath for the ChopHouse is not that difficult; you just have to remember to make the sheath wide enough for the widest part of the blade. I'm working on a sheath for the Skinner as well, and just finished a sheath for a traded-for knife. Been a little busy! smile

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 08:08 AM

I thought you passed on the skinner.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 01:32 PM

If you don't mind,mplease share a picture of your recent work. I think it's an impressive skill and always enjoy see what you've done.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 05:05 PM

I will try again later to post a pic, but I have been having trouble getting Photobucket to cooperate with this new computer. blush
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 08:40 PM

My favorite sheath design is the one Elof did for Andy' DSF. Simple and clean, I'm gonna try and make a similar one when I get my BG Boss Jack

I'll post pics...if its any good...

MM
cool

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/13/16 10:42 PM

Thanks Tom, if it's not easy, don't worry about it.
I finished up the pallet today. Chopped through 16 planks, some planks were chopped up twice. So, probably just over 20 planks were chopped through with the chop house and the machetes I posted yesterday.
[Linked Image from i246.photobucket.com]

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/14/16 06:54 AM

Nice pile of destruction ya got there scrappy.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/15/16 03:32 AM

Thanks skunk.
We all know how sr101 holds up but just a reminder. Some of the wood was knotty and two of the other brands blades (3/16 and 1/4 thick) chipped. I can't blame them with the knots but the chop house had no problem with it.

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/15/16 05:42 AM

OK scrappy, here's hoping!

[Linked Image from i184.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i184.photobucket.com]

These are a few sheaths I threw together.
Posted By: AZMTHotDog

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/15/16 08:50 AM

Looking good on the sheaths there Tom, especially that bottom one! wink

I like the lean cut a lot and the skinner is nice too. Loving the Moss green, my first tast of it. smile
[Linked Image from i65.tinypic.com]
[Linked Image from i65.tinypic.com]
Posted By: Rob Stanley

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/15/16 01:23 PM

[Linked Image from 41.media.tumblr.com]

[Linked Image from 36.media.tumblr.com]

[Linked Image from 36.media.tumblr.com]

[Linked Image from 41.media.tumblr.com]

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/15/16 08:38 PM

Thanks Tim; I felt like a great knife deserves a great sheath! grin

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/16/16 06:04 PM

Nice pics Rob. They could have been used to market the blade. Looks great.

Nice wok Tom. They both look good. I am partial to the skinner sheath. I like that color of brown. Is that a horse head on some of the other sheaths? Is that you logo?

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/16/16 07:16 PM

Scrappy, that's a Hog's head stamped into the sheath; I actually did not stamp hard enough as they are a little difficult to see. blush

Re: Chophouse Love Thread - 02/16/16 07:18 PM

I should also add that I have stamps for a pitbull, bulldog, horse, bear, Scottish Rampant Lions, and a couple of roses to go along with hearts. grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums