Scrap Yard Knife Company

Want to Play a Game?

Posted By: SkunkHunter

Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 09:18 AM

NO, we are not talking Global Thermonuclear War. (Do you know what movie that's from?)

1. OK, You are planning on a two or three day hike (Camping) trip. You will be using a small wood burning back packing stove and you are of course over preparing because as you know Feces Occurs!
2. You Can Carry two blades and you are limited to blades 4 inches or shorter.
3. Fixed blades are Verboten, so you You are limited to FOLDERS ONLY!
4. The weather forecast calls for a possibility of rain and it MIGHT drop down into the 40's.

WHAT TWO (if you do carry 2) knives will you take. Oh and YES you will have a sharpener (Who doesn't carry at least one)

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 09:36 AM

I feel as if I have 4 possible candidates.
1. CRK Umnumzaan
2. CRK Small Sebenza Classic 2000
3. GTI Large Folder
4. GTI Small Folder

Surprisingly all 4 blades feature either S30V or S35VN steel, so in reality there shouldn't be any advantage steel wise, for one knife over the other.

OK knife 1 and 2. What more do you need to say, they are Chris Reeve knives we're talking about here.

The GTI Folders. Still a relative unknown set of knives in the mainstream knife buyers market, but using one of the tried and proved knife steels.
These knives carry moderately deep hollow ground blades. These knives have very broad (for their length) blades, but even the large one still lends itself well for any kind of delicate work that may be required, but having BOTH sizes allows using the large one for heavy duty work and the small one for more delicate tasks.

OK, MY pick... The GTI folders. To ME more comfortable handles and blades that I feel lend themselves more toward what is considered the Bushcrafter/Survival use of knives.

Right or wrong, there you have my choices. What Say You Dawgs?

Posted By: rcb2000

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 02:18 PM

Very interesting...

Does a leatherman count? If so,

1. Leatherman Wave: saw, knife, serrated, pliers as a pot holder,, the best.
2. Benchmade Rift; it's what I own, I'd like to think it could get me through those nights.

Posted By: GeneralDelivery

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 05:22 PM

Victorinox Swiss tool

GEC Sodbuster
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 08:20 PM

Buck110FG and a Leatherman.

I have owned the Buck for 25yrs and the reality is that there is little it cannot do. I know it well, it is sharp, stays sharp but is also easy enough to touch up.

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 08:26 PM

rcb2000, the Leatherman has a blade, so it's a knife. smile

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 08:27 PM

I never even considered a multi tool. Probably because I have never really carried one that much, but I can see it coming in REAL handy!
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 09:47 PM

I would bulk up on one of them:
Extrema Ratio Rao

And then for the lighter tasks:
Buck 112

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/21/16 10:09 PM

To be honest,, I'd be ok with a leatherman only on most days.
I highly recommend the wave, some like the supertool for a little larger multi.

It's saved my butt many times. The pliers alone are a Godsend
Posted By: greaser

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/22/16 06:51 AM

1. Hinderer XM 3.5
2. I also chose the leatherman wave.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/23/16 03:59 PM

War Games

Victorinox One-Handed Trekker
ZT 0301

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/23/16 04:00 PM

The Trekker is a non-serrated version. Rare, but obtainable.
Posted By: VANCE

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/24/16 02:52 AM

any SAK w/ a saw

rat trap
Posted By: Grog

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/24/16 03:04 AM

Victorinox Huntsman - maybe a SwissTool, I've never tried the saw out on it.

Spyderco Stretch

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/24/16 06:38 AM

Arch mentioned an SAK. Several years ago the retired teacher that lives next to us took a vacation to Europe. She visited Switzerland and bought me a Tinkerer. Wouldn't trad that for anything. She even had my name engraved on it.

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/24/16 10:39 PM

Don't I get a cookie for knowing your quote was from War Games?

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/24/16 10:40 PM

I'm a fan of Victorinox and Wenger SAKs. I prefer the simple uncluttered models preferrably with a saw of some sort. The teeth are very aggressive, but bite deep.

Honestly, if I didn't view knives as last ditch defensive tools (and therefore carry pocket clipped knives daily) I'd only carry a Vic Hiker.
Posted By: adnj

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/25/16 12:09 AM

I've gone camping/hiking with a ZT0200 and it did just about everything that I could ask. It field sharpens very easily with Croc sticks.

I would carry a second 0200 or maybe a LM Wave just to have a backup blade.
Posted By: Mumbojumboo

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/25/16 04:20 AM

I've owned way more folders...striders, sebenzas, and hinderers than Busses knives. but I have to be honest. It doesn't get much better than a Pacific Salt or an Endura.

[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]DSCF053this one by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/25/16 07:23 AM

Now THOSE are some nice lookin knives!

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/25/16 03:04 PM

Whoa, were did you get those scales??

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/25/16 03:30 PM

Probably the store! Yeah I know, Patty tells me I am one all the time. smile
Posted By: Mumbojumboo

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/26/16 04:26 AM

Hot glue gun and RIT dye. It's really easy.

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]mumbo endura v salt 2 by
mumbojumboo
, on Flickr

[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]mumbo beach 2_21_16 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Hinderer...... Love 'em but kinda chunky. when I have a folder... I want them slicy

[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]mumbo show off by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

GEC Spicy...SLICEY.

[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]mumbo 71_72_15 compare by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Posted By: elof_alv

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/26/16 11:16 AM

If I'd be going camping then I'd have my pack, which means that Chopweiler and Swamp Warden with scales, ESEE Candiru and Leatherman Wave are already in on the trip (Muk LE, GSO 3.5 or 4.1, 411, R4, Vex, SS5, RMD or Fiddleback Bushfinger or Monarch rotatate through main compartment too). I mean, only a silly person would go camping without at least the pack...
If no pack was involved then Rat Shaker in right cargo pocket, SAK Alox Farmer in left pocket, Leatherman Wave/Charge on the belt and ZT560/ CRK Umnumzn/ Steel Will Gekko/ Three Sisters Forge Beast/ Kershaw Blur in S60V/Blade-Tech/Benchmade (/...) in the right pocket.. And that'd be only if I don't put a fixie on the belt...
Sometimes I'll take another folder or two to try carving with...

What? Don't tell me that you don't overpack!

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 02/26/16 11:30 AM

Uh you should be able to carve up about anything on the continent with that selection Cesar.
Posted By: AZMTHotDog

Re: Want to Play a Game? - 03/01/16 12:45 AM

Well, I'd probably roll with what I have everyday. SOG Powerpliers, Meaner HACK & Rat Warden. smile
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums