Scrap Yard Knife Company

SYKCO KUKRI?

Posted By: gun dog

SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/06/21 07:16 PM

So I’ve never owned a Kukri and I find myself curious about them. Seems like there are some options for every budget with other companies but with Busse it seems the KZ and KZII but I do wonder how a SYKCO Kukri would look... or even a Swamprat model!
Who has used Kukris and how do y’all like them?
What’s your ideal specs?
Posted By: Twoody88

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/06/21 07:26 PM

When you have one in hand it just wants to chop . Like instinct or a magnetic attraction etc..

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/06/21 09:05 PM

Right know I’m eyeing the Busse, cold steel (A2), condor (1075).
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/06/21 09:47 PM

Mike, I had a CS KUK Machete (I think it was) WORST handle I’ve ever had my hands around. very hard and would positively destroy your hands unless you had on leather gloves. BUT their “top line” was supposed to be pretty good. Make sure you check out the handle hardness before you buy.

Gonna send you a pm.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/06/21 11:08 PM

Yeah good point Randy! I’m not looking at their machete but their Gurkha Kukri with the Kray-Ex handle.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/07/21 04:15 PM

I have a few, mostly from Himalayan Imports. Best I have seen. They have a forum on blade forums where Auntie sells some blades and also a website. For chopping I have an Ang Khola in 20” 3 pound version and a couple more a bit shorter and lighter. For fighting, I have all three lengths of the Kumar Kobra.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/07/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by gun dog
Yeah good point Randy! I’m not looking at their machete but their Gurkha Kukri with the Kray-Ex handle.

Think of that design, but in sr101 and a DeRegulator handle!
I would buy three...or nine...

I have to wrap the kraton handle, a Res-c handle would be perfect

MM

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/07/21 05:48 PM

Right absolutely! And if you lay em out on the laser/water jet there won’t be much waste.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/07/21 07:55 PM

The FFG is also pretty sick

MM

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 12/08/21 12:46 AM

Yeah I like the sound of that.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/02/22 03:30 AM

So according to what I can find Cold Steel never ended up producing an A-2 Kukri. Saw several threads in BF all saying they never got the steel to match the standards they require. They have teased a 3V version as of 2021 but non have reached retailers. Only 2 online retailers claim to have the old ones in O-1 tool steel.
I have only found the condor version for sale one place online. No Busse versions can be found in my price range. Seems to be a large market demand and nothing really available at the scrapyard or swamp rat price level.

Clearly We need a SYKCO Crusher Kukri with a 12in blade and a regulator handle!!!

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/02/22 03:44 AM

Oh also the ones that were supposed to be A2 ended up being 4034 stainless. So the current option is O-1 vs 4034 stainless
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/02/22 05:08 PM

The Ka-Bar Becker/Reinhardt BK21 in 1095 steel has a good reputation. I have one and it is quite a bit lighter than my khukris from Nepal.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/02/22 08:31 PM

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Beckers.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/03/22 12:52 AM

I’m going to have to check out the reviews.
Posted By: FAL'er

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/03/22 01:34 AM

The becker one is discontinued and getting harder and harder to find.
I've got a factory 2nd bk21 that I've hardly used. So I can't speak to how good it is or isn't.
I remember reading over on the Becker subforum, they aren't great without some work to the grind

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/03/22 03:08 AM

Seems most are having to drop another $50 on scales to make them serviceable.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/03/22 03:35 PM

Mike I have a knife with the same handles and They are slick. Just wrap then with tennis racket or hockey tape and you’re good to go and that will work in any slick handle.

Re: SYKCO KUKRI? - 01/04/22 04:03 AM

Yeah that’s a cheap way to do it for sure
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums