Scrap Yard Knife Company

Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB?

Posted By: Flux

Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 11:57 AM

Hi y'all,

I am always looking into ways to improve my BOB (which doubles as my overnight camp bag.) I put together the contents of my bag over the last couple of years, buying this and that here, working off a checklist that I compiled a while back. Even after doing this for a while now, I am still not totally satisfied with my BOB.

I've been thinking about revamping the way I organize it so that I can fit more in it. I found Gearpods and thought that the idea of a modular system seemed like a good idea.

It also got me thinking about whether the cost for the fully stocked system they offer is worth it. I never kept track of how much money I've put into stocking the bag and I kind of wish that I had.

What do you all think about using the Gearpods as an organizational system and do you think that the fully stocked pods are worth the cost? If there are other organizational systems out there that you use and like, I'd love to hear about them.

Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 12:00 PM

Hey Ryan, why don't you put up a link, saying something along the lines of "for your information on gearpods". I've never heard of them myself.

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 12:01 PM

Never mind, I found it I THINK.

http://www.gearpods.com/

If this isn't it let me know and I'll change it.

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Never mind, I found it I THINK.

http://www.gearpods.com/

If this isn't it let me know and I'll change it.

That's it. They offer the empty pods with the connectors to build your own kit and also have preassembled kits. I was looking into their "Frontier" kit for my lady, possibly. It's a cool concept, but I'm not sure the preassembled kits are worth the money.

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 12:24 PM

Ryan, it would take some time and effort, but you could see what is in each "Kit" and then search for those items (Be sure and watch the quantities) cost elsewhere for each item in the kit. Then you could make a determination on how expensive (or not) each kit actually is for what it contains.

Pay attention to how many, or how big certain items in the kit are versus buying the item/items separately.

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/08/13 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Ryan, it would take some time and effort, but you could see what is in each "Kit" and then search for those items (Be sure and watch the quantities) cost elsewhere for each item in the kit. Then you could make a determination on how expensive (or not) each kit actually is for what it contains.

Pay attention to how many, or how big certain items in the kit are versus buying the item/items separately.

Yeah, I had thought about doing that. Maybe some day when I get some free time. It'd be nice if it came with extras of the non-reusable items.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Thoughts on Gearpods for BOB? - 05/12/13 10:06 PM

I just looked at a couple of their basic kits and thought they were a little on the expensive side.
I've seen similar containers like that before in the dollar store, for nails, screws ect.
I wonder how those containers would compare to habitrail tubes (pet cages by hagen I think) they have similar connectors and caps iirc

© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums