Scrap Yard Knife Company

Next OUtdoor Product

Posted By: Johnny Mack

Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:32 PM

What is the next outdoor product you plan to purchase?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:33 PM

My first is going to be a Frost River Isle Royale.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:35 PM

Then probably a Steve Liley tomahawk.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:36 PM

And a hammock and tarp.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:37 PM

This goes on but those are on my short list.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:42 PM

Thinking of getting a new rifle
Don't need one so I don't know
Posted By: t1m0

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 09:59 PM

Going to get a new backpack.
Posted By: Feldgrun

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/21/13 10:04 PM

I'd like to get a new SY knife...if only the Order Page was available. wink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/22/13 03:00 AM

There's always a gun or knife on my list. I need to stock up on ammo for the guns i have. I'm waiting to see what Dan comes out with, but i need some camping equipment first.
Posted By: gun dog

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 06/26/13 11:57 AM

Shotgun, rifle,ammo, load bearing gear, new pack, truck this is turning into a wish list.
Posted By: lazi

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/03/13 08:56 PM

not necessarily an outdoors product but it would primarily be used for the results of some of my outdoors activities. i'm going to pick up a vacuum sealer as soon as they get the one I'm looking for back in stock. apparently the food saver 2200 series gets some good reviews so i'm going with that one. the ziploc bags havent been holding up like i want and i don't want to waste any more food so it's time to upgrade. i also figure a vacuum sealer would come in handy when i start putting together more comprehensive survival and outdoors type packs.

Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/04/13 06:19 AM

Since getting a Maxped water bottle carrier (THANK YOU DT!) Patty and I have been using our SS water bottle a lot as we cruise around Mingo and go to the Lazy L safari Park. BUT at only one liter we find ourselves running short, or out of water a couple times.

Last week I ordered a Kleen Kanteen 40 ounce wide mouth SS water bottle. I LIKE IT! It still fits in the GSI 18oz SS cup and still fits inside the Maxped 10X4 water bottle carrier. SO Dogs, If you are looking for a new SS bottle, check it out. I've been using one of their 18oz bottles for about 3-4 years now with no complaints.
Posted By: greaser

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/05/13 05:15 PM

We got the food saver 3250 at kohls for under a hundred dollars with the attachment kit I would look there Lazi as they have some Kick butt deals sometimes. We love ours and it works great.

I have heard nothing but good about their stainless gear Skunk.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 01:23 PM

Just found this product from Blade tech. It might just be what I (and maybe you) are looking for.

The Roto lok.
http://shop.blade-tech.com/attachments-c-81_124.html?page=3

Just scroll down the page a bit.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 02:44 PM

now that's a nice set up but MAN 40 dollars just for it.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 02:48 PM

Yeah but the 40 bucks gets you the rotator AND tek lok.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 07:54 PM

True but now you are at 200 dollars for some of the nicer holsters or sheaths.
Posted By: monsterdog

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Last week I ordered a Kleen Kanteen 40 ounce wide mouth SS water bottle. I LIKE IT! It still fits in the GSI 18oz SS cup and still fits inside the Maxped 10X4 water bottle carrier. SO Dogs, If you are looking for a new SS bottle, check it out. I've been using one of their 18oz bottles for about 3-4 years now with no complaints.

Their insulated canteens are pretty good too smile

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 10:10 PM

Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm thinking about a Brazilian Tarp Hat

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/15/13 10:15 PM

After my forhead peeling like an onion for the past 3 days I think I am going to be looking for a summer weight boonie hat.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/16/13 08:58 PM

Good choice.
Posted By: sf45acp

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/17/13 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Mack
What is the next outdoor product you plan to purchase?

Your a very bad influence, I was pondering the idea of getting a Duluth Pack from Duluth and here you come along with another pack company from Duluth. What am I to do?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/17/13 08:34 PM

I know! Frost River's packs are waxed
AND I don't think Duluths are. FR is cheaper and they are ex Duluth employs.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/18/13 12:50 AM

I know! Frost River's packs are waxed
AND I don't think Duluths are. FR is cheaper and they are ex Duluth employs.

Duluth charges extra for the wax. I have the Pathfinder and really like it, paid an extra $50.00 plus bones for it. Looks like all FR packs come with the wax.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/18/13 02:19 AM

I am going to have to pay them a visit next time I am up there.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 07/25/13 09:55 PM

I did pull the trigger on a Brazilian Tarp hat. Looks like a good bush hat.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 08/02/13 08:30 AM

Not the NEXT outdoor product, but something I have had for several years (Copyrght 1986) a book by Don Paul Titled "Everybody's Knife Bible". I bought mine in '89 or '90.

It's got some good tips and mods to your knife that will give you the time, height of objects and possibly even (My memory isn't positive), distance to objects.

AND it also has some survival tips. Mine is the 2nd edition. I don't think that everything in the book applies but if you can get it cheap enough it isn't a bad investment.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 08/02/13 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 08/02/13 09:54 PM

I've seen a couple of post with the 40 ounce Klean Kanteen and the Maxped 10x4 bottle holder. If you used the 12x5 bottle holder would there be enough room for some food?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 08/13/13 12:09 AM

Everyone here should have one of these, well ALMOST everyone. grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgf_qywuGE

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 08/13/13 12:10 AM

Sorry DT, I just had to do it. wink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 12:27 AM

Should my next be a light for the new shotty, a mag extension or something else?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 12:28 AM

The more I "Play" with the new shotgun the more impressed I am with it.

It's GOT to be a Benelli clone of some kind.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 12:29 AM

Or maybe Beretta. I mean it uses benelli magazine extenders and Benelli/Beretta mobile choke tubes.....
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 01:17 AM

So what kind is it? Pics?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 01:40 AM

I've put up a couple pics. It's a Weatherby PA-459 TR 20ga with the skull pattern camo.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 01:44 AM

Here ya go Hobbes

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 01:45 AM

This is what I said about my initial impression.

OK, FINALLY got my shotgun today, Weatherby PA-459 TR 20Gauge! Yes, I went against most folks recommendation to get the 12. I have hunted (Mostly) for the last 45 years with a 16 and a 20. I don't waterfowl hunt so have never needed a 12. The role this Shotty is gonna play will be limited to 15-20 yards using #3 Winchester Super X buckshot and beyond that slugs. I also plan on getting a box of Rio Royal #1 Buckshot to try out. I might also add that anything beyond this range is prime territory for my AR15 or .308.

Anyway, here we go. I got the Reaper pattern (hey I may be 59 but It still appealed to me) camo and here is what I have seen going over it from the extended choke to the recoil pad.

The extended screw in choke is from all I have read a Beretta Mobil choke. It sort of makes the muzzle look like the business end of an AR15. The choke and barrel are "Sort of Parkarized", a dull black finish as is the receiver.

The Barrel nut is equipped with a rotating swivel mount and is kept secure (well sort of) by a detent that should keep it from unscrewing.

I'll add more to this after the shoot. The Deputies are qualifying tomorrow and I was invited down with my new toy for them to see/try out. I hope to put at least 50 rounds through it tomorrow, mainly birdshot and at least 5 rounds of #3 buck and a couple slugs.

Moving on back the forestock sets on double slide bars and the bolt is inletted into them, not just "Hooked on" like my old Remington model 31. The forestock also has a Picatinny rail built in on the bottom of the front section for about 3-4 inches. The Forestock is not one flat surface but has sort of grooves from the front to about half way back where it gets larger and has molded in vertical grooves. It has a nice secure feel to it. Oh one thing I forgot, the magazine tube end cap is held in by double detents that slide into grooves to hold it in place. There's not any "Dimples or folded over end" to hold it in place like folks have been saying is on the SA-459. SO that means an extended magazine should screw right on (using one for the Benelli nova or super nova in 20 gauge).

The rest of course is just like the SA-459 as far as the safety, bolt release etc including the swivel mount in the buttstock.

I hope this helps anyone that is looking for a light fast shouldering 20 gauge shotgun for home defense that can, just by changing the choke also be used for hunting.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 01:47 AM

And then later I said this.

OK, The shoot is over, it's almost 0200 the next day, I'm at work and it's still hot!

The shoot went well. She went BANG every time I pulled the trigger.

Recoil wasn't anything like I though it would be in a 6 pound shotgun, no not even a 20 gauge one. It has a nice recoil pad.

The shucking handle worked flawlessly, nary a bobble Still just a little "Slow" but it's new. A couple more boxes and it should start smoothing out.

Started out with #8 and #9 birdshot (hey I had some 40 year old ammo to get rid of, One box of slugs had a price tag of $2.99 for Winchester Super X Slugs)!

At 15 yards the full width of the B-27 target (full man sized silhouette) was covered with birdshot of course, AND #3 buckshot. But strangely (or maybe not) there was a hole with the buckshot right in the middle of the X ring about 5 or 6 inches long and maybe 4 wide where there wasn't any pellets. Gonna have to check this out again later, maybe even try a modified choke tube in it.

With slugs at 25 yards (longest range I could get) it held three Winchester Super X 7/8oz slugs in a pattern that would be covered by the bottom of a soda can. I figure that ain't bad offhand with those sights (ghost ring rear hi-vis fiber optic front).

All in all I am quite satisfied with my new toy. Later on when it's not quite so hot I'm gonna take the wife out and let her shoot it and see what she thinks. If it keeps doing as well or better than today, I may try for the SA P-459TR.
Posted By: DogTired

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 02:54 PM

Next product: either an LBT Enhanced 3 Day pack, an Olight for my 25-06 to reach out 600 yards into the night, or whatever Dan happens to be offering next if it ain't too pricey and is something I "need" to fill a gap.
Posted By: DogTired

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 02:56 PM

"Squirrel Cooker" Randy? Really? I thought we were friends cry

wink grin

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/02/13 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
"Squirrel Cooker" Randy? Really? I thought we were friends cry

wink grin

Don't worry Josh, it would ONLY be a wall hanger. grin

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/04/13 02:10 PM

This might make someone's list.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/2...09-04&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/04/13 06:24 PM

Why does money have to stand in the way of me and cool gear?

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/04/13 06:29 PM

Why did I have to read this, I now have another need. Thanks for sharing Skunk smile

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 09/05/13 06:10 AM

Hey, I'm here for ya SF! wink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/31/13 12:28 PM

Is this
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...r&prodname=Sport%20Utility%20Blanket

Better than this.
http://www.sheepleg.com/Grabber_SPA...all-weather-blanket.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/31/13 12:37 PM

And this could be VERY handy. Just incase you don't know how to tie one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkN3K5G8eE
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/31/13 05:43 PM

Skunk the Adventure medical one is smaller and the other is warmer. I keep the 2 person AM one in my pack. It has come in handy several times.

The grabber one would be nice in a vehicle kit or a camper etc.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 10:13 AM

Thanks MB. That is what I was wanting to know. Yeah Winter kit in the truck along with wool socks, wool sock hat and gloves etc, etc.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 10:59 AM

Just ordered two of these. One reviewer said that if he wasn't setting on the ground he would have been OK in 4 degree temperature.

I got the Grabber Hooded all weather blanket in red.

http://www.grabberworld.com/products/grabber-outdoors/hooded-all-weather-blanket.html

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 11:25 AM

One place says they are 5x7ft. Another 5x6 and still another 6x6. Even if they are the shorter 5x6 with the hood I figure they should be fine for us as I got them to use as improvised ponchos and use if stranded inside a vehicle. PLUS I also already have two of the cheapie emergency mylar blankets that could also be used with these.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 11:37 AM

OH, and I keep a 7x9ft tarp in the truck all the time.
Posted By: Claudiasboris

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 08:50 PM

They look like a great idea, so long as the price is good. Much more useful than the simple sheets.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/01/13 11:12 PM

my wife likes to make polare fleed blankets. I have her make me a couple of blankets that are longer and double think and a thicker polar fleece. Thye are great for keeping in the truck.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/02/13 05:14 AM

Patty has made 3 or 4 of those. BUT Space under the seat of the truck is not that large so I want to keep things so I can keep it under the back seat. Ours is a quad cab so no storage behind the seats.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/02/13 05:42 AM

I have a quad cab. I stuff it under the seat. It covers everthing in the cubbys under the rear seat. Like a tarp. With that and a Similar blanket its a winner for shelter.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 11/02/13 05:48 AM

I've already got some stuff under there and space is at a premium. I AM thinking about moving a couple things around and that would give me more space. I've been thinking about throwing a wool blanket (or 2) in there as well.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 12/11/13 01:16 AM

I'm ordered a Life Straw water purifier for my bob. Anxious to try it out.
Posted By: adnj

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 12/15/13 01:58 PM

I have bunch of water bottles, Nalgenes and Thermos bottles that are sitting on the shelf. A fully loaded SS bottle fell out when I was taking my pack out of the car and got a good ding n the bottom (it was brand sapnking new). wink A contractor working on my house used a Nalgene that I had with me and I never got it back from him. I started carrying 32 oz bottles throw away bottles that were the containers for "Real Lemon" juice. I fill them, freeze them and take them with me; never really caring what happens to them.

I still use the better bottles for hot stuff or things like cereal.

Since getting a Maxped water bottle carrier (THANK YOU DT!) Patty and I have been using our SS water bottle a lot as we cruise around Mingo and go to the Lazy L safari Park. BUT at only one liter we find ourselves running short, or out of water a couple times.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 02/26/14 12:19 AM

I recently got a 40 ounce Klean Kanteen and a Maxpedition water bottle holder 12x5. Great package. The bottle has a wide mouth and is very solid. The Maxpedtion bottle holder has an outside zip up pocket with numerous attachments for molle straps and additional pouches as well as numerous places for velcro patches.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 02/27/14 06:53 PM

This is what I said about my initial impression.

OK, FINALLY got my shotgun today, Weatherby PA-459 TR 20Gauge! Yes, I went against most folks recommendation to get the 12. I have hunted (Mostly) for the last 45 years with a 16 and a 20. I don't waterfowl hunt so have never needed a 12. The role this Shotty is gonna play will be limited to 15-20 yards using #3 Winchester Super X buckshot and beyond that slugs. I also plan on getting a box of Rio Royal #1 Buckshot to try out. I might also add that anything beyond this range is prime territory for my AR15 or .308.

Anyway, here we go. I got the Reaper pattern (hey I may be 59 but It still appealed to me) camo and here is what I have seen going over it from the extended choke to the recoil pad.

The extended screw in choke is from all I have read a Beretta Mobil choke. It sort of makes the muzzle look like the business end of an AR15. The choke and barrel are "Sort of Parkarized", a dull black finish as is the receiver.

The Barrel nut is equipped with a rotating swivel mount and is kept secure (well sort of) by a detent that should keep it from unscrewing.

I'll add more to this after the shoot. The Deputies are qualifying tomorrow and I was invited down with my new toy for them to see/try out. I hope to put at least 50 rounds through it tomorrow, mainly birdshot and at least 5 rounds of #3 buck and a couple slugs.

Moving on back the forestock sets on double slide bars and the bolt is inletted into them, not just "Hooked on" like my old Remington model 31. The forestock also has a Picatinny rail built in on the bottom of the front section for about 3-4 inches. The Forestock is not one flat surface but has sort of grooves from the front to about half way back where it gets larger and has molded in vertical grooves. It has a nice secure feel to it. Oh one thing I forgot, the magazine tube end cap is held in by double detents that slide into grooves to hold it in place. There's not any "Dimples or folded over end" to hold it in place like folks have been saying is on the SA-459. SO that means an extended magazine should screw right on (using one for the Benelli nova or super nova in 20 gauge).

The rest of course is just like the SA-459 as far as the safety, bolt release etc including the swivel mount in the buttstock.

I hope this helps anyone that is looking for a light fast shouldering 20 gauge shotgun for home defense that can, just by changing the choke also be used for hunting.

** I found this on the Weatherby Site today 02/27/14 and thought I would add it to the original post.

*PA-459 and SA-459 are not compatible with the Multi-Choke System. They require a Beretta Mobile style choke.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/19/14 04:10 AM

Time for a new lawn mower. wink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/19/14 04:11 AM

Johnny Mack, have I seen some flashlight reviews that you have written?
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:12 PM

Spare drive belts for my tiller.

Not sexy, but critical.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:14 PM

Depends on how you wear them, Arch.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:20 PM

I wear them OUT.

frown

Out on the town

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:23 PM

Usually with a scarf

to protect my neck from the sun.

My dual direction tiller burnt through a drive belt in one season. This is a top-of-the-line Husqvarna that we paid too much for. After wasting lots of time trying to find EP-1 grease for the drive case (dealer recommended fix...???) and using the tiller with the guard off the drive area I figured out the spindle's set screw had backed out and was letting the pulley slip up and down the shaft. This stretched the belt.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:32 PM

Yeesh!

Well I guess its good that you're only having to replace the belt. Sounds like something else could've easily gotten damaged.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:35 PM

Well, the entire exhaust manifold failed within 45 minutes of starting it. We've been running it with the exhaust totally bypassing the muffler system because the trip to the retailer is about 1.5 hours each way and we'd have to borrow a truck to move it there.

After the planting season it'll go in for warranty work.

So far I'm pretty disappointed in it.

Here's the beast...

http://www.tillersdirect.com/Husqva...-12&gclid=CJPXxtmrvb4CFRQmMgodh3gAAg

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:37 PM

The local price was $700 plus tax. That's top end money for a "hobby" tiller (ie NON-PTO driven).

It does a decent job busting sod, but the durability has us worried.

I will say, it only takes one pull to start it which is nice.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 03:38 PM

The exhaust manifold literally broke right off due to the "vibration" caused by busting sod. Its broken off clean at the engine.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 04:00 PM

I was going to suggest PTO until I saw the price you paid for the one you have. Yikes! That's the reason I shop for that stuff at pawn shops.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 04:04 PM

Would it be worth buying an old small farm tractor for all your farming needs? We had one when I was growing up and we found a way to use it for almost everything. It made life a lot easier.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 04:37 PM

If you have the room needing a tractor, you will probably find that the smaller ones are darn near as expensive as the bigger ones, at least around here. My old Sears riding mower takes care of my 7 acres, and my new tiller ...$408.00, takes care of sod-busting. wink

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/21/14 04:45 PM

I was suggesting a small one because they're easier to trailer.

Our small one was an old Ford 3400 Loader and we had several attachments for it. Disks, ripper, brush hog, and hay rake got the most use. That tractor made short work of everything.

Our big ones were International Harvesters.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/24/14 05:44 AM

I wanted to buy 2 of the canteen/cup/stove setups (surplus or new)
Nowhere local carries them, so gotta try Amazon and the auction site
Who would have thought

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 05/24/14 06:19 AM

I recently got a 40 ounce Klean Kanteen and a Maxpedition water bottle holder 12x5. Great package. The bottle has a wide mouth and is very solid. The Maxpedtion bottle holder has an outside zip up pocket with numerous attachments for molle straps and additional pouches as well as numerous places for velcro patches.

I have the wide mouth Klean Kanteen wide mouth 40oz and love it. I also have a glacier SS cup that I put on top of the bottle and it all fits in a Maxped 12x4 carrier. The 40oz WILL nest in the Glacier cup.

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/13/14 02:28 AM

I won't be making one of these, but it's sill neat. The Steel Wheel Stove.

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/13/14 03:45 AM

Very good idea
Posted By: gun dog

Re: Next OUtdoor Product - 10/13/14 08:11 PM

Cool!
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums