Scrap Yard Knife Company

Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf

Posted By: feederle

Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 08/29/13 10:57 AM

Hi everyone,
having bought quite some survival guides (and there are extremely bad ones out there!!!), I was wondering what other outdoor enthusiasts rate high.
The best comprehensive book I read until now is the SAS Survival guide in it´s newest edition.

But I´m also interested what you think about those books covering home gardening after apocalypse a.s.o.

Looking forward to your replies!
Posted By: FatDog

Re: Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 08/31/13 05:49 PM

A good resource is a subscription to Mother Earth News, they cover many gardening topics.

Also books :
Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness

Country Wisdom & Know-How

Garden Wisdom and Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Plant, Grow, and Harvest

All three on amazon for under $45
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 09/01/13 03:40 PM

Survival is a pretty broad topic and people tend to think of different things when "survival" is mentioned.

What are you looking for SHTF, bushcraft, apocalypse scenario?
Posted By: gun dog

Re: Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 09/01/13 04:33 PM

^^^ MB is right. What type of info are you looking for?
Posted By: Mugsy6

Re: Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 09/02/13 04:20 PM

Backwoods Home magazine is a great all-around read, from home gardening, to canning, to diy projects, guns, etc.
Posted By: Claudiasboris

Re: Best survival guide out there? Survival book shelf - 09/05/13 12:38 PM

It sounds like you've got a few survival manuals and any more would probably be repetition. For the gardening style stuff it may be worth looking at self-sufficiency books, they tend to cover a range of topics from gardening and animal husbandry to alternative energy production. They're only basic guides though and you'll probably end up getting dedicated books for whatever subject you're mostly into.

Have you tried bushcraft books? They're similar to survival but with more emphasis on skills. Ray Meares is popular over here in the UK with good reason. Mors Kochanski's Northern Bushcraft is a fantastic book.

Hope that helps!
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums