Scrap Yard Knife Company

SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps?

Posted By: sumoj275

SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/07/14 03:51 AM

Wondering if any of you guys have a SBR AR or AR pistol, and if you do what kind of brake or comp do you run? I may be trading into a pistol. Like what I am seeing with the Noveske KX3 and Hera Linear Comp but don't know if there is something out there that is better or cheaper?
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/07/14 04:51 AM

I have a standard brake on mine. I hear the Noveske Pigs are nice. They throw the noise forward. Make no mistake an 8 inch barrel in 223 is loud.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/07/14 05:22 AM

Thank you, I am reading that they are a bit loud LOL.
Posted By: monsterdog

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/07/14 08:23 PM

If I ever build one, I would run a Noveske because of the noise issue (and because cans are not legal without a lot of hoops.)

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/08/14 03:24 AM

I was referred to look at a couple other KX3 style brakes, they are aluminum but at 35.00 instead of the 130.00 tag. I may give one of those a try since the price is right, and I don't see needing steel when I wont be shooting FA.
Posted By: greaser

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/08/14 06:45 AM

Make sure you put antiseze on the threads.
Galvanic corrosion
It doesnt always happen but better safe than sorry.

Posted By: Ishikawa

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/09/14 04:58 AM

If you're going to go so far as to SBR, you might as well get another stamp and shut down the flame / noise.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/10/14 05:40 AM

It is a pistol. I won't do stamp, but if I did a can would be in order too. In OK you can't hunt with a can, so it would only be a fun toy thing.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/12/14 02:37 PM

I think you're fighting an uphill battle where the logic of the system degrades over time. That is, unless it's just for fun / nostalgia.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/24/14 01:26 AM

Well I went with a KAK flash can slim version as it is a 1 pc unit. Figured I will give it a shot, and seeing how it was only 35 bucks(a lot right now for me), if I don't like it or the pistol I won't have wasted too much money. Bad thing is that IF I end up liking this short buster, I could see a SBR in the future with a SOPMOD stock and a Mod 0 configuration.

As to suppressors, do they quiet the 10.5"bel down enough to not wear hearing protection? What suppressors are good for the money?

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 02/25/14 02:33 AM

Not certain about 10.5....but 11.5, yes. I'm sure that based on the decibels, it's "technically" not safe. However, having shot all my life....suppressed SBR is just a wet dream. I don't worry about it when hunting at all. When at the range, have to wear protection because of everyone else anyhow.

If $$ is an issue...take a look at the BCM B5 stock. SOPMOD design...lighter weight, much cheaper. I love mine, I use it more than my SOPMOD because of the weight and design improvements. Good deal for the $$.

I can't really say much about performance / $$ when it comes to suppressors. Normally, you get what you pay for. I use Ops Incs on my AR's...heavy, but indestructable, great POI repeat, and solid price / performance ratio. They're also well proven in the field. I think Surefire is top of the game now...they are a bit lighter weight, but their prices are up there...again, you pay for tech. AAC, Surefire, Ops Inc, SilencerCo, etc...all get you where you want to be.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/09/14 07:12 PM

Any updades here, Jeff?
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/09/14 07:29 PM

I had a, gasp, Olympic Arms AR pistol once. It had the standard A2 flash suppressor on it. I don't remember much about it. This was around 15 years ago.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/09/14 07:29 PM

Don't see Jeff around here much.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/09/14 09:29 PM

I just finished building one with an 8" barrel and a KAK flash can in .300 AAC Blackout. After I go to the range later in the week, I will post my opinion of it.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/09/14 09:30 PM

Ray, I'm very interested in your report. I was just thinking this morning how I would like a .300 BLK pistol.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/10/14 03:48 AM

Well, it sure does look cool. I guess I'll find out how well it performs and how practical it is. I do know that I can't find an IWB holster for it. grin

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/23/14 08:01 AM

Hello,
On the wife's AR pistol in 5.56 I put a KAK flash can on it since it is a 7.5" brl. The can works well at directing blast down range and away from the shooter.

On my 11.5" brl I have the A2, it works and I don't see a need to replace it at the moment.

Ray, look forward to your thoughts.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/23/14 02:05 PM

Still too much to do around the house. I have not been able to find time to go to the range. Hopefully, I will be able to go later in the week.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/23/14 09:32 PM

Been looking at these lately : http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/12/13/ferfrans-cqb-modular-muzzle-brake-system/
Posted By: greaser

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/24/14 12:39 AM

seems like an interesting concept and I would guess really appreciated at the range. lol

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 06/24/14 02:57 AM

The Ferfans get real good press. If I do another pistol upper I might do one. Thing is I do all my shooting outdoors. I didn't find the concussion (behind) the 7.5" all that bad.
Posted By: 44Fred

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/20/14 02:57 PM

Yes a 300BLK pistol around 9-10" is on my short list. I want to buy a complete upper and finish my 80% lower.
The 300 was designed for a shorter barrel and hits with more authority than the 5.56.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/21/14 11:56 AM

If ya get one you need one of these.

http://www.sigsauer.com/StoreProductList/sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-137.aspx

I think the video explains it too.
Posted By: gun dog

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/21/14 03:27 PM

I think the noveski pig would be Perfect for a SBR/pistol upper

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/21/14 03:43 PM

So do I, but why not get a KAK Industries Flash Can? Basically the same thing, but made of aluminum, way lighter, and way cheaper. IMHO the pig is only an improvement if you're going full auto, and I don't plan to.

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/24/14 12:10 AM

Same concept as the ferfrans (and other expensive solutions, like the upcoming gemtech), but at a much lower price:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-a-2-piece-muzzle-brake-cucussion-sound-redirector/

Re: SBR AR/Pistol AR MB/Comps? - 07/24/14 12:17 AM

You could also go in the completely opposite direction, with this (you might get thrown out of your local range):

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/26/strike-industries-cookie-cutter-comp/

laugh laugh laugh
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums