Scrap Yard Knife Company

Custom glock ideas and future build thread.

Posted By: greaser

Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 02:41 PM

Ok I was tired of derailing Architect's thread so I figured I would start my own. I would like to see all ideas and parts my fellow dogs have for a custom/modified glock.

Here is a custom frame from a well know manufacturer that intrigues me.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=80127
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 02:45 PM

Do drop-in replacement part upgrades qualify for discussion? That's all I've done at this point.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 02:57 PM

Yes I would like to gather as much info as possible. If I am joining the dark side I want as much info as I can get.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 03:02 PM

I usually shoot them stock (add night sights if not already equipped).

However, I think I'll be picking up a 6" barrel for the G20 as well as replacing the recoil assembly with a SS rod and Wolff extra strength spring.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by greaser
Yes I would like to gather as much info as possible. If I am joining the dark side I want as much info as I can get.

The Force is strong in this one...welcome.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 03:04 PM

I saw your interest in the other thread. There are people who will complete a frame reduction and stipple it. I can't think of anyone specifically but have seen plenty of pictures.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 03:07 PM

Have you handled a Gen4? They come with (5) backstraps. One even has a beaver tail.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 03:08 PM

(This doesn't fix the "blocky" feel).

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 04:48 PM

For my Gen3 21 I have replaced the polymer guide rod with a tungsten one with factory weight spring. I am too chickenshit to venture away from factory weight springs. I have also replaced the trigger connector with one from Lone Wolf (I think) in order to get a better feeling trigger, though I have considered replacing that one with one from Ghost. All these parts are inexpensive.

I am considering having the grip reduced and stippled like Gary mentioned. My only concern is compromising the durability of the frame.

Gary, have you heard of any frame related failures due to grip reduction?

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 04:49 PM

Oh, and I need to get some night sights.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 05:54 PM

Adam,
I haven't heard of any, and doubt it would be an issue as long as the reduction stays well below the "flex line". Personally I don't know where this occurs.

I'm not brave enough to have a reduction. The Gen4's smallest strap will have to work for me.

The extra weight spring is to keep the barrel from unlocking prematurely with full house (180gr at 1300fps) 10mm ammo. Premature unlocking causes wild velocity spreads.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 05:56 PM

I will probably add a 3# trigger to the 10mm, but I leave my 9mm stock (17, 19 and 26).

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 06:21 PM

From what I was seeing you could buy that new frame for what some were charging to rework the stock frame. Plus then you have the stock one for any warranty work should you ever need it.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 07:26 PM

I like the option of keeping the factory frame original.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 07:37 PM

You could always sell it to recoup some of the cost as well.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 07:51 PM

They don't make it for 10 mm/.45. I looked at it a while back. Other than that they look nice.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:06 PM

Yeah but I can deal with 9mm, its cheaper anyways.

I am thinking an ea witness for a 10mm.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:11 PM

If I was a 9 mm shooter I would've been all over one of those Lone Wolf frames a long time ago.
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:19 PM

My personal and work full sized Glocks are set almost the same, Glock factory (not sure who makes them for Glock) front tritium sight, rear is standard but steel. Under pressure I am really only worried about that front dot !! I have been back and forward with the extended slide release, none of my training sees me use it for a load/reload so I gravitate to the original as supplied part. My personal 17 has a 3.5lb connector the 22 has the NY1 arrangement. I have been looking into tungsten guide rods but have not ventured there as yet.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:28 PM

Andy reminded me that I did add an extended slide release. It isn't very pronounced so it doesn't get in the way or catch on anything.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:32 PM

I don't use slide releases. All of my training is to yank the slide.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:35 PM

I don't use it either. I just put it there as another option.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 08:40 PM

Same here mate, overhand if I am shooting strong (right)hand, slingshot if shooting weak.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:00 PM

My duty pistol is a ruger p94 dao and I hate it with all my being. Terrible trigger in all ways 3 times heavier than anything else and a rattle trap construction.
[Linked Image from picturearchive.gunauction.com]

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:01 PM

I would take a stock gen 1 glock over it and that is definitely not a compliment. Lol

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:14 PM

I'm glad you started this thread, greaser. Now I'm itching to finish my upgrades.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:17 PM

Maybe I'll get a Gen3 frame and send it off to have it modded. There is a well known guy in the Houston area that does the mods. I would love to just go drop it off but last I checked he was so backed up he closed his waiting list.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie
Same here mate, overhand if I am shooting strong (right)hand, slingshot if shooting weak.

Ditto

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
I'm glad you started this thread, greaser. Now I'm itching to finish my upgrades.

No problem, I hope it helps a lot of fellow dogs.
Posted By: luck

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/02/16 11:00 PM

Nothing special, but Apex Trigger/bar/plunger, TD Vickers slide stop/mag release, Warren Tac rear plain/front trit, surefire xc1.

Before:
[Linked Image from i1273.photobucket.com]

After:
[Linked Image from i1273.photobucket.com]
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:17 AM

I tend to leave my Glocks pretty much stock. Night sights and some Talon grips on a 27 and a 43.

Other than that nothing. I am tempted to put a beaver tail on a G-22.

And I am going to get a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm from one of my G-22's. Already have the mags.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 02:01 AM

Looks good Luck.

MB I wouldn't mind leaving the internals stock to begin with but the ergos must be fixed.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 06:45 AM

OK Guys, here goes.

I have a Glock 17 I bought off the widow of a fellow Police Office when he died of a Brain aneurysm Way back in probably 1998. It was his duty weapon for many years so I am guessing it is a Gen 1. Tell me what is wrong with this gun. I have only shot it one time (3 mags worth).

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 07:14 AM

if its gen 1 it will have no finger groves or light rail Skunk. There is nothing wrong with it just not my favorite ergonomics but that goes for all gens.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 07:20 AM

Must be a gen I then, doesn't have either one. And yeah, it doesn't feel real good in my hand.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by greaser
My duty pistol is a ruger p94 dao and I hate it with all my being. Terrible trigger in all ways 3 times heavier than anything else and a rattle trap construction.
[Linked Image from picturearchive.gunauction.com]

Grease, I thought you walked the Blocks. I guess you are on outside patrol?

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 10:40 AM

I do both Skunk but I prefer outside patrol.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 11:00 AM

Ok, thought you wouldn't be packin inside. To many might think it's prudy and try and get their hands on it. wink

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 11:25 AM

Now I remember you talking about rotating inside/outside. Even though the Glock doesn't feel good to me, it is (in my opinion) better than the Ruger. I simply HATE the feel of the full size (at least the older) rugers. Now my LC-9 feels good.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 12:50 PM

Yep nothing but keys and a radio inside. Yeah at least the glock doesn't feel like a Chinese toy.
Posted By: RN

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:21 PM

Wow, leave it to DOC to buy Rugers like that.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:23 PM

You know the drill LT. or at least will, Lowest bidder!

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:33 PM

Yep, who cares if it is effective as long as it is cheap.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:38 PM

Ain't that the truth, look who's in the WH! wink

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 01:39 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist. smile

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/03/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
OK Guys, here goes.

I have a Glock 17 I bought off the widow of a fellow Police Office when he died of a Brain aneurysm Way back in probably 1998. It was his duty weapon for many years so I am guessing it is a Gen 1. Tell me what is wrong with this gun. I have only shot it one time (3 mags worth).
.... more than likely a Gen 2. Is the grip smooth ? Or is there "checkering" on the front and back straps ?

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/04/16 12:37 AM

He said he had it for several years.

Front and back strap are "Checkered". Side "Panels" are stippled. It has a plastic adjustable rear sight.

Re: Custom glock ideas and future build thread. - 01/04/16 12:59 AM

That is a Gen2 mate and one of my favourites. Gen1 had that fine stippling all the way around (I got my first Glock, a Gen1 in 87 or so before that serial numbered the frame for the US market). I have NO idea how many 10s of thousands of round went through it with bugger all cleaning !!!! When Glocks were adopted here in the mid 90s one of our recently trained armourers wanted to see my old one and offered to give it a once over, he was a bit astonished about the crud living inside it wink But it was still working just fine.
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums