Scrap Yard Knife Company

Favorite fire starters.

Posted By: gun dog

Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 03:19 AM

So I’m looking to get 4-6 new ferro rod style fire starters for BOB and get home as well as General hiking and bush craft needs. I’m aware that some are much better than others. What’s your favorites?
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:19 AM

Mike, check with DT. He made me I think 4 and I really like them. Don't know if he is still doing this or not, but if he is and you get some you won't be disappointed. Other than That I like Firesteel.com

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:20 AM

Oh and IF they got them, get the half inch ones at least. More money but really worth it. At least get NOTHING less than 3/8 inch.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:32 AM

OK, check out this "List"

https://www.skilledsurvival.com/ferro-rod/

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:42 AM

Oh and make your own PCB (Petroleum Cotton Balls) tenders just take some cotton balls and squeeze some Petroleum jelly in them (But don't use to much or it will hinder them catching on fire). Seal them up in a water/air tight container and ya got the ability to start fires in any weather.

Me, I can't start a fire for anything, but give me a Ferro rod and some good tinder (If I don't have any PCBs) and I am good to go.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 10:35 AM

A magnesium bar/firestarter would be my first choice. You can make just sparks, or shave some of the magnesium into a little pile (quarter sized) amd strike a spark. The magnesium burns at 5400 degrees, so even slightly damp material will catch on fire. wink

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 12:43 PM

I had my wife pick up the stuff to do this yesterday morning while she was at the store. Gotta decide between 5-6 or 8in rods

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:44 PM

PERSONALLY I wouldn't go more than 6 inch rods. Just easier to handle in that length. And Tom has a point. Get some magnesium rods as well and get a GOOD Hardened steel striker. I like the firesteel Super scraper and the Palm scraper looks like it might be something nice.

DT made me some Ferro rods with deer antler tips for handles and they are really nice. He also included small aluminum water tight containers for the PCB containers. Works really well and you don't have to worry about them breaking open on you.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:51 PM

I’ve used the magnesium as a kid and it BURNS but it burns so fast at time I hard a hard time getting the tinder bundles to lite. At the cost per inch the 8in makes sense than I can cut them down and make handles. I ended up going with Uberleben after seeing reviews. I’m also trying their tender wicks and some tender products from procamptek to see how they compare to ones I make at home.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 04:58 PM

Sounds like you got a plan. I had DT make me one that used a 38spl or 357mag case for a handle. I have it along with the striker, mag rod and some PJCB tinder in a little nylon knife pouch so I can always have it in my Man Bag. smile

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 05:10 PM

Ah I’ve got some 357 brass sitting around!!!

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/22/20 06:57 PM

Just jam some epoxy into the case, insert the rod and BAM, You've got a good slim handle. DT is amazing (sometimes, but don't tell him I said so. It will go to his little rodent brain). wink

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 03/23/20 12:22 PM

Lol we do like our super squirrel
Posted By: Twoody88

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/08/20 03:25 PM

Its not the size of the rod Skunk its how you use it ! Practice makes perfect and familiarity with your choice of brand is key in my opinion

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/08/20 03:42 PM

I have had many many a fire attempted with a match to no avail. But I have always got one started with my fire kit (ferro rod and PJCB). Guess I just prepare better that way.
Posted By: Twoody88

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/09/20 03:44 PM

Sorry skunk i didnt mean to come off as saying YOU need practice if that how it sounded. I just meant regardless of what people are choosing whatever it may be size material mfg...etc know its limits and be one with the source LOL .. I agree mathches arnt even good for lighting a smoke !

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/09/20 08:23 PM

Twoody, no offense taken, and we all do need practice. It is one of those things that you have to keep after or it goes the way of the Dodo bird.
Posted By: rth548

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/10/20 01:48 AM

I always carried a ferro rod and a canister of PJCB in my hiking pack, just in case.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/11/20 04:48 PM

Has anybody used an antifa member? I ‘ve heard they are fantastic firestarters.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/11/20 05:03 PM

Haha. Funny one Ray. And according to the news I’d say you are correct. George has trained them well, unfortunately. I wonder if Nomex will be the new denim.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/12/20 04:22 AM

I have a set of Nomex underwear.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/12/20 04:23 AM

I have a set of Nomex underwear.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/12/20 04:23 AM

Well, two sets apparently.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/12/20 05:29 AM

A set for everyday and a set for Sunday go-to-meeting days. smile

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 12/12/20 04:26 PM

Don’t forget to keep them treated.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 02/05/22 04:03 AM

Found an interesting starter. Site is called prepared 4x. Got a Ferro rod glued on top of a hollow aluminum “tube” that has 3 ft of infused hemp rope. Kind of a novel concept that might actually be nice.

https://prepared4x.com/products/survival-torch

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 02/05/22 02:37 PM

Looks good. I see that you can buy the rope separately. But you hillbillies probably already have a lot of hemp around already.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 02/05/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
Looks good. I see that you can buy the rope separately. But you hillbillies probably already have a lot of hemp around already.

It’s low quality though, and i’ve heard it can give you a headache.

Now when I was stationed in Omaha ( home of the Strategic Air Command dont’cha know) we were told at the i briefing that it grew wild all over the place but to NOT use it that it was against the law.

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 02/05/22 11:52 PM

Aim HIGH ! The official Air Force chant. smile smile smile

Re: Favorite fire starters. - 02/06/22 01:22 AM

Haha, NOW you know the rest of the story! grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums