Scrap Yard Knife Company

Water filters/purification

Posted By: gun dog

Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 11:42 AM

So I’m going to be upgrading my water systems. I’ve got a Berkey for home use and an older Katadyn hiker for backpacking/BOB but it’s 10 years old at this point. So I ordered an MSR Trailshot to try for a get home filter and day hiking filter. Now I’m considering an MSR MiniWorks or a katadyn hiker pro as an upgrade. Also might try a sawyer mini as a cheap inline filter option.

What do you guys use?
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 11:49 AM

I have some Katadyn filters here, Gravidyns , Combis, and Pocket models. They are for emergency usage, as I don't hike much anymore. I bought them new over time as part of my preparations.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 12:21 PM

Smart man. I was talking about this with my mother in-law and she was kinda shocked she had never thought about the fact they might need clean water if country water service would be interrupted
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 01:48 PM

Sawyer mini. Not the best solution in the world, but works ok.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 03:22 PM

How cheap they are I want to pick one up to test

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 04:29 PM

I keep one in my wife's car; never had to use it yet. They seem to have received pretty good reviews.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/23/20 10:48 PM

I think I paid 19-24 bucks for mine.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/24/20 05:19 AM

^^^ Sounds about right. You can normally buy them at Walmart.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/24/20 01:59 PM

That's where I got mine. AND they come in 2 flavors. The squeeze one and the "Regular" one that can be used as a gravity feed if you want, so be careful about which one you get.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/24/20 08:16 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have both kinds. wink

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/24/20 08:53 PM

Yeah I had thought about that as well. Might look into the squeeze one when I get paid. grin

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/25/20 12:02 AM

That's why I have multiples of each filter, in case family or neighbors needed to filter water as well.
Posted By: RN

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/28/20 05:25 PM

My wife is teaching a public health class with an MD that does disaster work all over the globe- she is into those UV ones. I know zero about them myself...

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/28/20 09:47 PM

They are supposed to be top notch (as long as you buy from a reputable company with a good track record) Only problem is they require batteries, which require electricity to recharge. Yes I know you can us non rechargeable batteries, but that might get real expensive.

On the other hand I have seen some that has a handle you crank to supply the power for the bulb to do it's thing. Then again, for that to work, you need real clear water to start with.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/29/20 06:34 AM

So pre-filter the water and use the Steri-pen for UV treatment. I have the crank model myself, though I have never needed to use it ....yet.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/29/20 02:47 PM

That's what I thought as well Tom. Got a source for the crank model. My battery powered bit the big one.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/30/20 01:52 AM

I think I got mine off of eBay, but I believe Emergency Essentials also sells them.

Re: Water filters/purification - 03/30/20 04:12 AM

Thanks

Re: Water filters/purification - 05/19/20 06:56 PM

OK, Backpack type pump water filters. What Should I get? Remember, backpack equals light weight. ALL suggestions are good for research.

Re: Water filters/purification - 05/19/20 06:58 PM

I recommend a good QUALITY filter such as the Katadyn pocket or combi filter.

Re: Water filters/purification - 05/25/22 05:50 PM

Found this on YouTube. I always wondered about lifestraw.

https://youtu.be/l4ido-pGUfE

And Sawyer
https://youtu.be/bxFtOoFmLio

Re: Water filters/purification - 05/28/22 01:08 PM

Interesting reads.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Water filters/purification - 05/30/22 04:27 AM

I have had the original lifestraws for 5 or 6 years now.
I had them in my pack and gave 1 to my brother, nephew and daughters for their packs.
They worked well for me and I have no complaints
However about 4 years ago my marine buddy introduced me to the sawyer mini, I don't think that it filters any better than the lifestraws, but I do think it is a more convenient form factor

However neither model is good for use in below freezing weather so I have other methods available in the winter
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums