Painting your rifle is very easy...

STEP ONE - Determine what you want to accomplish

After you commit to painting your rifle, you'll need to decide what type of result you're seeking. Personally, I wanted a camo finish that would be easy to apply and remove.

[Linked Image from i67.tinypic.com]
[Linked Image from i65.tinypic.com]

STEP TWO - Select your paint type and colors

After you select your "pattern", you'll need to acquire the necessary paints. Personally, I wanted something that would be functional in a four season woodland environment. To accomplish this I chose four paints:

Krylon Fusion Camo - OD Ultra Flat
Krylon Fusion Camo - Tan Ultra Flat
Rustoleum - Nutmeg Satin
Rustoleum Camo - Earth Brown

STEP THREE - Prep your rifle

A) Strip all lubricants from the exterior. I used mineral spirits for this.
B) Strip all mineral spirits from the rifle. I used Acetone for this.
C) Plug the bore with a foam earplug.
D) Use painters tape to "tape off" anything you don't want painted.

I only taped off my LaRue MBT trigger. I didn't care if the rest of the rifle had paint / overspray on it. When painting optics I take greater care to protect certain parts of the optic.

[Linked Image from i64.tinypic.com]
[Linked Image from i63.tinypic.com]

STEP FOUR - Prep your paint booth

I created a "paint booth" in my garage out of a cardboard boxes. I recommend you wear a N95 mask while painting.

Try to paint while the temperature is between 60-80F and the humidity is relatively low.

Shake each paint can vigorously for 2 minutes. Shake throughout process.

[Linked Image from i63.tinypic.com]

STEP FIVE - Base coat

Select the color you want to be your "base coat" and cover the entire rifle and accessories with this color being careful to not overapply the paint.

Hold the can 10-12" away and "spritz" the paint. Don't over paint.

Wait until the paint is dry enough to paint each side.

Repeat the process until the rifle is fully painted.

[Linked Image from i68.tinypic.com]

STEP SIX - Add camouflage

After the base coat is applied, start adding your camouflage. This will include other paint colors, but could also include: stencils, mesh, vegetation, etc.

I always like to "blur edge" my colors by lighting striping each color, and then hitting the stripe again with a heavier/closer burst of paint. This creates a nice effect.

All painting must be completed within a 24 hour period.

[Linked Image from i67.tinypic.com]

STEP SEVEN - Dust the rifle

After your camo is complete lightly dust the rifle with TWO of your favorite colors.

This is accomplished by spraying each at the same time. I typically hold the paint 16-18" away in a "V" shape (one can in each hand shoulder width apart spraying toward the same spot on the rifle). This creates a "camo mist" that will soften your pattern.

EXPERIMENT before you try this on your gun.

STEP EIGHT - Let it cure

I recommend seven days for a good cure. You might want to use a heat gun or hair dryer as well. I don't typically use heat, and have good results. Be sure to wait at least 24 hours before you reinstall accessories.

Last edited by Architect; 04/21/16 10:14 AM. Reason: Too many pictures.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.