The 1911 is my personal favorite as well. As with any tool, you probably need more than one type to accomplish more than one task.

My first handgun was a 1911 and my last will be a 1911. However, I do see the design's limitations as viewed through the lens of the modern era plastic framed options.

I've personally experienced A LOT of problems with Glocks, but feel once worked out the guns are like AK47s. That is to say, the reliability is over hyped (in part because the design was developed with conscript level individuals in mind). What do I mean by conscript level individuals? When comparing the engineering of a Glock or AK to the engineering of a Sig Sauer or AR there is very little comparison.

There is a place for quality plastic guns (which to me includes Glock and HK with HK being FAR SUPERIOR to Glock). I will also give a nod to S&W M&P Shields as being an affordable while reliable very compact carry gun.

There is a place for quality all steel and precisely machined firearms (which to me includes 1911s, Browning High Powers and Sig P210s). I will also give a nod to the CZ75.

There is a place for quality aluminum framed / steel slide firearms (which to me includes Beretta 92 series and Sig P220/225/226/228/229).

In my experience if you chose:

1911: Les Baer, Wilson Combat (and likely Nighthawk, Guncrafter, Alchemy)
HK: USP, P30, P2000, HK45, HK45C
Glock: 17, 19
Beretta: 92FS, 92 Compact, M9, M9A1, M9A1 Compact, M9A3, 92 LTT, 92X, 92X Compact
Sig Sauer: P220, P225, P226, P228, P229

...you'll be well armed.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.