went for a little hike today.i was gonna do some bush 'wackin to a little hidden pond i found on a satellite map and scout it for deer sign but it was just way too thick and it was getting dark.there is no doubt in my mind i would've gotten lost for hours had i attempted it.

it got dark quick which isnt a problem as i usually end up out there in the dark.when i hit the trail it was overcast but nice.

right before dark i decided to get off the trail,start a fire and cook the stake i brought.i'm not kidding,the second i took my pack off it started raining hard and for the record i think GORE-TEX is crap.i have a USGI GORE-TEX coat and the rain soaked right through it.

i got a fire started all the same and cooked and ate my stake in the pouring rain.the forest was thick and blocked a decent amount of the rain.i wasnt soaked but i was definitely wet.

here's my pack.kifaru x-ray with some MOLLE pouches,leatherman and a GB 20" hatchet attached to it.i love this pack.

[Linked Image from i234.photobucket.com]

here's the blades i brought.i always bring a few to test them against each other.the only way to really get a feel for a blade is in real time and i bring a few at a time to speed up the process and test them side by side.

left to right:
YK,HRLM,BREEDEN PSKK 2,ZT 3O1 & BATTLERAT on top

the BREEDEN is 3/32in thick,O1 tool steel,8in over all,4in blade w/ orange G10 & white liners.great bushcraft knife and i learned first hand that
BRYON BREEDENS customer service is just as good as anyones.i had a small problem with the first one he sent me.i contacted him,sent it back,he made and sent me a new one but he also sent me the old one too.i really get 2 blades for the price of one.no questions asked & no BS.he even paid for the shipping for me to return it.KILLER CUSTOMER SERVICE.

this pic sucks but its where i was,just off the trail in the middle of the forest.it wasnt even that dark when i took the pic

here's my little cooking fire that i got going from scratch in the pouring rain.no primitive fire making skills tonight in the rain.just a good 'ole fashioned BIC.

and here's my little grill called the GRILLI-PUT that i cooked my stake on.its self containing and packs up inside its self for storage.

i hiked all the way out in the dark and it poured the entire time.its about as rural as it can get in NY out here.there are way more dirt roads than paved roads out here.

the stake was great.medium well.

Northern-1...aka Bad2TheBone...aka NorthernMarsh 1st member of Scrapyard hatchet/hawk club