First, let's check out the new Chris Reeve Project II clone, the Schrade SCHF2. At $40 to $60, depending on who sells it, this is a bargain based on the cost of cheap communist Chinese labor. But in this new and improved era of change, it seems appropriate somehow. This knife balances at the blade handle junction with the tool kit removed. It seems to take and hold an edge reasonably well. The knurled steel handle is an intergral part of the blade, all just one chunk of 1070 steel with some kind of gray coating on it. I touched up the edge, and it slices pretty well.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
It can do curls and shavings on wood for fire starting.
After beating on a 1" soft pine sapling for about 20 strokes, it finally cut through. Not a great chopper, but it will chop. Chopping with the Schrade is an excercise in pain and patience, that only a masochistic kung foo artist could appreciate.
It does a lot better with the baton for splitting wood. You can beat the heck out of this handle, and it won't damage it.
The main strength of this knife is it is near unbreakable. And you could store matches in the handle. It does throw well for me, so it can be a weapon.
It might be a good knife to keep in the jeep or truck for emergencies. Trust me, you don't want to use this knife for very long unless you have to.

Last edited by Horn Dog; 02/20/09 06:47 PM.