I love the outdoors, but I also love technology. When I go bicycling, hiking, camping or on deployment, I always bring my iPod, Steripen, digital camera, audio recorder, shotgun mic, LED flashlight, etc...

Running out of juice sucks and most trees or rocks don't have outlets. Here is my solution.

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]
You can barely see it in this picture, but the bottom left blue light on the battery charger shows that it is indeed charging the batteries in the shade an hour or so before sunset here.

Pictured: Powerfilm 10W foldable solar panel, it pumps out 12-15v at 10w. Duracell AA/AAA battery charger with USB hub for charging iPod or any thing else that charges via USB (i.e most new cells phones). Rode shotgun mic, runs on single AA (brilliant sounds for a great price). Lightstar 220 lumen LED light runs on 2XAA batteries. Roland R05 audio recorder (again brilliant sound with on board mics or attached to external mic). Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

Here is it folded with a Paratchutmandu for size reference.

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]

With the battery charger/solar panel combo, four AA will fully charge in less than 4 hours in winter sun in southern Germany - that is from personal testing. Get closer to the equator and in the summer, and I am sure it will be much less time.

I use Eneloop batteries instead of other rechargeables that have a higher energy density. They are rated at 2000mAh, while some others have 2500 mAh. Yes, your toy will run longer on the others, but they can only be charged a max of 500 times or less. The newest version of Eneloops claim 1500 recharges. They also claim the Eneloops will hold 75% of their charge after three years. I don't want to be left with worthless batteries while away from civilization.

I try to only use gadgets that run on AA batteries, so I only have to have one type and can cannibalize the batteries from say an audio recorder to use in my Steripen Classic.

My cell phone obviously doesn't run on AAs, but the car charger adapter connected to the cell and solar panel directly went from about 25% charge to full in about an 1.5 hour in full sun. Also, my iPod only charges from usb, but the Duracell battery charger takes care of that. The battery charger also taes 110-220v wall power. It will charge USB devices with the solar panel connected and no batteries in it, with charged AAs in it without the panel connected or for fastest times, with batteries in and panel attached. You can even get car lighter adapters that have USB hubs for charging with the panel.

A little longer in the tooth than I planned, but I figured this could be useful info for any techy-outdoorsmen like myself, or even you doomsday survivalist out there.