header

Page 346 of 346 < 1 2 ... 344 345 346
Topic Options
#1052054 - 11/28/17 06:27 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
Nice RN!

That's better than most of the groups with with anything I have have shot through my 527. If I recall right my rifle didn't care for the 124 Tulammo FMJ. It did pretty good with the 154 gr soft points. I zeroed with 123 gr Zombie Max ammo for hunting and the 154 gr shot just a hair left but dead on the next BDC mark. Those groups were about a usually floating under 2".

If they had made that rifle 5 years ago they would've really put a dent in the CZ 527 rifles popularity.
JYD #82 yup...

#1052061 - 11/29/17 03:14 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Rich,
I agree with you. Ruger rifles have "average" triggers, and gritty actions. The actions do seem to smooth out, but they're never going to feel like a finely burnished 1960's FN made Mauser. My Scout has about 250 rounds through it, and probably 500 manual bolt manipulations. The "feel" improved, but still isn't great.

The price point of the American justifies the rough action ... especially in light of those groups.

I had wondered why so many people were scrambling to buy these rifles. Ruger was never known for accuracy, but they've slayed that reputation with this model.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052062 - 11/29/17 03:18 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

We're definitely living in a time when 1 MOA rifles are no longer special. An average AR can print 1 MOA with its favorite load.

I can remember when 1 MOA was the "pinnacle" to which we aspired with expensive modifications. Now it is common place on production guns. I think ammunition has improved as well.

99.9999% of the time I still shoot budget ammo. Even in light of this fact, I'm often impressed by my guns.

Germaine to this conversation ... the rifle I've been most disappointed in is my used Ruger GSR. I only tested one ammo type, and perhaps it didn't like it. Regardless, I was expecting better than 2 to 2.5 MOA. (Granted the peep sights are coarse, and I was shooting 32 year old surplus ammo from a wobbly rest).

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052063 - 11/29/17 03:23 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I ran ten mags (80rds) through my new Colt XSE Government Model at lunch.

No malfunctions.

It took a couple of mags to adjust to the heavy trigger. I've been spoiled by the crisp "4 pound glass rod" in my Les Baer. However, by the third magazine I was keeping all of my rounds inside a 2" black dot target at about 10 yards (standing / unsupported).

I used:

Federal 230gr FMJ American Eagle
S&B 230gr FMJ
Winchester 230gr FMJ "White Box"
Blaser 230gr FMJ Brass

The Federal was most accurate.

The S&B is very hot ammo. I've always liked S&B because they don't download their ammo.

Page 346 of 346 < 1 2 ... 344 345 346