Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034812 11/13/15 02:42 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
GD, I had a GSR and was very disappointed in it. As a non-shotgun person...ditching an extra 870 (everyone should have at least ONE shotgun) wouldn't hurt either.

A military grade semi-auto 308 would increase your versatility while a piston AR wouldn't. I wholeheartedly prefer piston guns, but a 556 piston doesn't increase mission capability over a DI 556. A quality piston will run: longer; cleaner; and cooler, but its still a 556.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034813 11/13/15 02:46 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
For most users there is nothing wrong a top quality DI AR (BCM, Colt Defense, etc). There is a steep premium associated with an equal or superior quality piston AR. There is a very steep premium for gilded edge technology (read: FN Scar).

I'm blessed and fortunate enough to have acquired a few pinnacle level rifles (FN Scar-16, FN Scar-17, LWRC M6 Individual Carbine - Enhanced, etc) however, I would not feel poorly armed if all I had was a single BCM or Colt DI AR and a Glock 9mm.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034814 11/13/15 02:48 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
The cost on the Colt 6920 M4 is historically low, and defeats any argument for "hobby grade guns". Colt M4s can be had in the low $800 range.

Currently, there isn't an excuse NOT to buy a good AR.

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034820 11/13/15 03:35 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Unless you can't ... wink

Interesting story, I have a work colleague that I live very much I have given her each season of The Walking Dead to watch, the one theme from our discussions is how differently we view the world. I see much of the bad that is played out in that series among the survivors (the walkers are just bit players) as being quite indicative of human nature, how some people will just go entirely feral and prey on those around them, how some will be nothing more than prey and some will walk the line much like the central characters in that show do. How the "good" people will have to do (with our eyes here in reality) appear to be bad things to survive. My friend is a realist but does not understand why "they can't all get along and work together.

If the rules went out the window here it is a sad indictment that those who are most prone to doing great bad will be the better armed, they all ready are.

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034824 11/13/15 07:13 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
^^^ hah! They are illegal in CT now too...I would live to have an AK...illegal too!

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034827 11/13/15 11:27 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
There are places you all can move to where some of your God given rights are still somewhat intact.

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034828 11/14/15 12:33 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Amen^^^

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034829 11/14/15 01:45 AM
AZMTHotDog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Fun and thought provoking...

Rifle: Vepr in 5.45 x39mm, way more effective penetration than 5.56 NATO yet similar ammo weight with reliable combat proven mags up to 45 rds. TA-50 3x green ACOG on a RS Regulate 302/AKOG side mount which allows cowitness of irons with normal cheek weld yet very comfortable lower cheek/upper chin weld for the glass. And FYI to avoid being fleeced by dishonest marketing ploys: the Vepr's were not banned like Saiga's were, so they are still easy to obtain as the highest quality and most accurate AK made yet they don't look like an ak if you leave them in factory walnut dress with a 5 or 10 rd mag. They are marketed as hunting rifles, but run like battle rifles. wink

Pistol: Since for this exercise class 3 is not an option and for now the ignorant members of our society somehow think a man's right to protect his hearing via sound suppression somehow is a taxable privilege while requiring mufflers or restricting exhaust brake noise in many jurisdictions, I will forego the suppressed FNP45 with RMR for the very hot loaded Coonan .357. If I can't make it quiet, I will go for the loudest blazing flashbang I can get while maintaining very low recoil and excellent accuracy. Make them feel the shock and awe crap long enough for me to get to safer places since I clearly am somewhere I have no business being having to rely on my pistol in the first place. Simple night sights are more than sufficient. wink 200 grain 357's at over 1500 fps can be used for hunting bigger game, yet very low powered 38's can give you quiet single shot pops without ejecting cases for the times that might be handy.

Pack gun: Use that weight for Ammo/mags for the other two... after all, if you are wearing a pack and need more than two boomsticks per man you better get a bigger army fast Rambo. shocked smile

JYD 193, inducted AZMTHotDog aka AZTimT
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034904 11/15/15 02:11 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'm with with MB on the Glock 22 and quality AR15 except the AR would be the pack gun. I'd want mostly pistol/sbr length uppers in pretty much any caliber that would fit on the one lower. That's from .22lr to 6.8 or whatever folks use to reach out with an AR15. I'd treat it like a take down rifle and use each upper for specfic tasks. Would think I could keep .223 and a .22 conversion in a pack and keep the rest of the uppers stashed away for when needed. If I was to "bug out" it would just be with the .223 upper and hopefully at least a .22lr conversion kit.

As for the Glock I'd want every conversion option that would fit on the 22 frame including .22lr. I've just seen way more Glocks than any other handgun so if I only had one my chances for finding compatible parts would be higher than my with M&P. I prefer the M&P and I'm actually considering getting a used .357 Sig so I run it with .357 Sig, .40, and 9mm barrel.

As for a long gun I'm going to say a 14" Remington 870 12 gauge with a set of caliber adapters. Again I own and prefer a different make/model but I've seen a few more 870 shotguns and clones than Mossbergs. I would want the 870 if there was no chance of ever seeing any new parts ever again. I'm picking a shotgun more for the idea if surviving as an opportunist than for fighting. I think with a decent selection of adapters and a variety of shells all stuck in a bandolier I could just rack in whatever is needed. Anything from .22lr to heavy slugs or buckshot... I also like that you can top off the tube and mix and match ammo. If I knew what the day called for then I'd break out the AR and use that. If I have to expend a lot of ammo then hopefully the Glock will do. But if the world is crazy then I'd want to be able to adapt to whatever comes my way as fast as I can.

If it was only from why I own now... M&P 9, 10/22, and I have no idea what I would use for a pack gun. Nothing I own other than a S2K fits in a pack. Hopefully I will have the upper for my AR lower in the next month or so I'd probably go with that. But this thread has me seriously considering purchasing a 10/22 take down of some flavor.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034913 11/15/15 07:16 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
[Linked Image from i180.photobucket.com]
My 9mm carbine.
My intermediate caliber battle rifle. (5.56) mid length piston driven.
My home/base defense shotgun. (12 gauge)
And my personal defence pistol. (45acp)

Last edited by greaser; 11/15/15 07:17 PM.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034914 11/15/15 07:19 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Hunting/long range options.
308 bolt and 17wsm bolt

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Apocalsypse Guns .... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034915 11/15/15 07:30 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Nice toys Grease!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10