Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038346 02/27/16 02:35 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
In all (disgusting and distasteful...you'll get the pun shortly) seriousness:

I've read several survival novels wherein people are referred to as "long pork".

YUP I have heard that numerous times as well.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038356 02/27/16 07:02 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Originally Posted by Architect
Randy,
Gross.

I was talking about 'gator and 'croc.

wink laugh

OH, My bad. frown

I was teasing. My original comment was about people.

This thread has taken a turn for the decidedly disgusting. While I can speak extemporaneously regarding cannibalism in dire situations (Stalingrad anyone?) I found it to be a forbidden topic on most survival forums for obvious reasons. This, a family oriented forum, might also be inappropriate.

Anyone want to talk about knives?

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038359 02/27/16 07:07 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
NOTE: I neither condone or encourage the consumption of humans. My knowledge is related to deep research into human behavior while subjected to extreme survival circumstances. I conducted corresponding research into contemporary views regarding depravitity to gauge the likelihood of savage behavior in modern times. The topic generally enraged uninformed individuals who espoused a utopian vision of the end times wherein all people would join hands and sing kumbaya. This is in obvious contradiction to all historic evidence regarding human behavior in critical circumstances. The level of self delusion I encountered, ironically, reinforced my concerns about a canabalistic apocalyptic scenario as many in the now defunct "prepper movement" where woefully under prepared for the realities of a world without the rule of law. Therein these individuals would have participated (willingly or unwillingly) in the creation of the very environment they denied had existed.

We must all remember that our "first world" view of food has changed. Most individuals do not grasp the fragility of our food supply and distribution systems. Thus, they anticipate the never ending availability of Twinkies at Wal-Mart. Their cupboards are as bare as their knowledge of food production, food acquisition and preservation.

The "first world" has never been more susceptible to a food crisis than now.

I cannot buy a bell pepper made in the United States locally. GMO is also invading every corner of US agriculture. If you're uniformed about the potentially castrophic effect of GMO food ask a biologist what they think about people releasing invasive species into nature. They'll likely tell you about the havoc created by the apple snail and others. Short story: they destroy the indigenous species. Now, what happens when an organization creates "patented food" that cross breds with indigenous species? Monsanto sues the farmer for patent infringement. They have not been defeated in court. This is a serious issue on two fronts: heirloom seeds are disappearing (the only type of seed capable of producing the same plant from harvasted seeds) and one mega corporation is exerting increasing control over our food supply: they will literally sue you if their product falls out of a grain truck and sprouts on your property.

Last edited by Architect; 02/27/16 07:28 AM.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038360 02/27/16 07:13 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thankfully it is largely a non issue for most folks.

YUP, Knives are a good subject. I think My GTI Folder (large) will be a good one for the PSP (personal survival Pouch) we've been talking about. BUT it would make for a good excuse to buy a new folder though. smile

Oh an almost any of the ZT folders would work because of their Bomb Proof Build.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 07:14 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038361 02/27/16 07:43 AM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
If there was ever a thread that got off topic...this is it! Lol

eek wink
grin

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038366 02/27/16 08:26 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
GREAT minds often wander Rich, that's how we've come up with all the good stuff we have. ONE thought leads to another. smile

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 08:27 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038371 02/27/16 09:04 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Rich is infinitely more qualified to speak of people's mental abilities, issues, etc than I would ever hope to be. My research was specific to one issue. I hope I didn't step on your clinical toes!

Back to ZT...

I sent my 301 and 561 back to ZT for a sharpening. I bought both "NIB" from individuals. The 301 seller claimed light use and it's edge reflected this. The 561 seller outright lied. The 561 was FAR from NIB with considerable edge issues.

After testing the 301 and finding it satisfactory I decided I wanted to test it and the 561 with a factory edge. $13 worth of shipping plus $7 KAI handling fees will yield factory edged ZTs.

I'll post a follow up with turn around time, edge quality and of course ... Testing!

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038374 02/27/16 09:14 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Bummer you had to send them back Gary. MOST of my knives when I sharpen them I use a shallower angle than factory. Don't really know how this has came to be but I guess that over the last 50+ years of sharpening (or trying to) knives it is just what I automatically default to. MOST OF THE TIME it works for me, so why try to change it now.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038385 02/27/16 03:59 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
It's just a minor annoyance. I'd like to test them with a factory edge or I'd sharpen both at home. I'm new to the blade material so I'd like to proceed with factory edges.

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038386 02/27/16 05:09 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I suspect my gallows humour was lost in translation ergo the fava beans and wine (Dr Lecter to Agent Starling in Silence of the Lambs wink ).

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038392 02/28/16 12:29 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Andy,
I could smell what you were cooking all the way over here!

Re: ZT - Folders for Freaks or Serious Work? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038401 02/28/16 02:34 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Don't particularly like brains. Had Hog brains From time to time growing up, mainly with scrambled eggs. Now IF I put enough ketchup on it I could handle it OK, but it just wasn't my "Cup of Tea". Oh and it wasn't lost Andy, I just had to break for lunch. wink

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/28/16 08:03 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10