header

Page 344 of 344 < 1 2 ... 342 343 344
Topic Options
#1051820 - 11/08/17 08:27 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: RN]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Originally Posted By: RN
Oddly enough, the SCAR is more visually appealing to me. Although your FAL in the tan furniture looks more appealing than most I've seen I've seen Gary.

I feared mentioning what I did...figured with Andy it would be as close to insulting someone's child!

For my tastes, I think the M14 wins the looks award for military rifle.

The M14 is very high on my aesthetically pleasing list. It ranks very high indeed. I have a soft spot for the M14. My father went through USMC basic with one, but was issued an M16 when he arrived in Vietnam. Fast forward 25 years ... on a rare occasion when I had a chance to see my father I showed him my gun collection. He skipped right past all of the HKs, AR15s, AK, etc ... picked up the single M1A. He had a look of pleasure on his face while he examined it. Never even picked up the other rifles.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051821 - 11/08/17 08:30 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie

The ABC Pattern FH is MUCH less prone to a banana peel issue than the long Browning version, that goes to the way the front of the slots are cut. It was certainly something that could happen with a hard run rifle (had one doing it while I was operating it but it also had over 30K rounds fired). The later 3 slot and opened Canadian FHs were even less prone and the pick of the lot IMHO wink the F1 FH, it was unheard of. Most of the ABC improvements were in manufacture process, adverse condition (sand cut carrier and corresponding receiver cuts) and being able to effect major repairs at a lower level. The British plastics are FAR more hardy than any other variety (in my world you take an all wood rifle to the range and one with Brit or Brit/Kiwi plastics into the field). New rifle to new rifle I firmly believe that your average ABC rifle (particularly the Aussies) will be more accurate, that is generally a factor of barrel production (Aussie in particular, more so if a BCF barrel was in the mix).

That said, I am really splitting hairs between all flavours of the rifle. The StG58 is probably my least favourite. Of the metric rifles, the 50:00 is truly hard to go past but I do find the Dutch versions most appealing, that's before I even venture to the Paras !!

Its great to hear from someone with "real" FAL experience. Most Americans have very little "real world" experience, but act like they're experts. I fit the latter category.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051822 - 11/08/17 08:33 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter

I think I'm gonna throw up. smile wink

It is Lord Mortedecai's weight loss program. Eat all you want, and then think about Lord Mortdecai nekkid ... except with his ascot and mu'stache.

You are welcome.

#1051837 - 11/08/17 03:23 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: SkunkHunter]
Andy the Aussie Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
[quote=Lord Mortdecai][quote=SkunkHunter] Yeah I did like it, except for that dang carry handle.
....it was common to remove the CH, you could snip it off with bolt cutters in about 2 seconds or spend and entire minute and remove it and replace it was a rubber or fibre washer.... wink

#1051861 - 11/10/17 09:44 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
Anybody have opinions on Glock Gen 2? I have a .40, a .45ACP and a 10 mm. The .45 has been fired a lot since I used it in competitions and didn't have any problems but the .40 less so and the ten hardly at all.
JYD #182

#1051881 - 11/11/17 05:43 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: USSA
Don't forget about the wood furnitured G3s they are sexy!!!
JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery

#1051884 - 11/11/17 08:53 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Ray Settanta]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Ray Settanta
Anybody have opinions on Glock Gen 2? I have a .40, a .45ACP and a 10 mm. The .45 has been fired a lot since I used it in competitions and didn't have any problems but the .40 less so and the ten hardly at all.

I like the Gen 2 guns. I never had any problems with them.

My general concern with polymer framed firearms is the effect of age on the plastic. All plastic continues to off-gas, and can become brittle over time. I've held broken examples of early HK polymer guns. The HK4 buffer was particularly susceptible.

#1051898 - 11/12/17 10:39 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
I also had some questions about the longevity of polymer guns, but I haven't had any problems yet after about 20 years or so. And all my eggs aren't in the same basket either. grin
JYD #182

#1051918 - 11/13/17 08:19 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Same here. That’s the reason I’ll never part with my Les Baer or FAL.

Page 344 of 344 < 1 2 ... 342 343 344