Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Multi-tool for your PSK #125825 07/24/07 01:32 PM
Wiggitty Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I'm putting together a small PSK that will fit in a medium gp pouch from spec ops. Does anyone have a multi-tool in the PSK? If so which one? I recently picked up a wave and love it, but it is a bit heavy. And would have to pick up a new one if my current one goes in the PSK.

on a side note I saw this yesterday. might find it's way into my kit:
[Linked Image from countycomm.com]

Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Government Agency. JYD.45
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Wiggitty] #125826 07/24/07 02:09 PM
slipfirep40 Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
I have a leatherman micra in my kit.

Please come join us on the KNIFE TESTS forum!
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: slipfirep40] #125827 07/24/07 02:23 PM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I just ALWAYS have the Leatherman Supertool on my belt and a Micra on my keys, so none in my kit. The Gerber 400 multi-plier is nice, and they are under $40 at my local wally-world. It is a little smaller than the 600's but still has pliers, knife blade, scissors, and several screw drivers heads. Another option is the SAKs with a folding pliers,(the handy-man is the only one that comes to mind imeaditly)but NOT in the traditional Leatherman setup, unless that is what you want.

JYD #25 Clinging to my Guns, Religion, and Scrapyards.
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Wiggitty] #125828 07/24/07 06:33 PM
J
jd01 Offline
Mutt
Mutt
J
It depends what you want from the tool I carried a Gerber Shortcut at work and found it met most of my requirements and could be carried on a keychain .For a more comprehensive list you may want to check out http://multitool.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: jd01] #125829 07/24/07 07:18 PM
Unsub Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Check out the new Byrd spydertool. It has a full size locking Byrd/Spyderco knife and a crescent wrench.

"if you want to be a hero you have to learn to drive stick"! Sara Conner
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Wiggitty] #125830 07/24/07 07:45 PM
T
terry13111 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
T
I'm putting together a small PSK that will fit in a medium gp pouch from spec ops. Does anyone have a multi-tool in the PSK? If so which one? I recently picked up a wave and love it, but it is a bit heavy. And would have to pick up a new one if my current one goes in the PSK.

Where did you find that? Looks like a good candidate for a PSK item.

Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: terry13111] #125831 07/24/07 08:23 PM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog

County Comm a whole store of cool toys I just got a couple things there my self.

http://www.countycomm.com/straightrazor.htm

Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: james_bond] #125832 07/24/07 09:43 PM
T
terry13111 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
T

County Comm a whole store of cool toys I just got a couple things there my self.

http://www.countycomm.com/straightrazor.htm [/quote]

Thanks!

Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Wiggitty] #125833 07/25/07 01:15 AM
Andy Wayne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don’t have a multitool in my PSK because I always carry one on my belt. It used to be a Leatherman PST II, but now I carry a Leatherman Ti Charge.

Eh, personally I wouldn’t pack that. It’s too big. A better option are some scalpel blades. I buy ‘em from a guy at the gunshow for $.50 each. They are very thin, and sealed and sterile so they can do double duty for medical use as well. You would get a lot more “edge for the space”. You can also get them with various blade shapes to accomplish different tasks. I think you can get ‘em on eBay. On a related note, eBay is a great source for medical supplies for your first aid kits. If you’d like to see my PSK to see the scalpel blades I’m talking about, see here: My PSK (Lots of pics) (the scalpel is above the foil wrapped bar of soap in the medical kit)

A somewhat similar item that I found a while back is a folding hacksaw. I got it at Walmart for a couple bucks. It has two blades, one for wood and one for metal. The blades could also be used to strike your flint rod with. A hacksaw might not be as helpful in the woods, but it might be useful in a city BOB.

Folding Hacksaw with Rat Shaker for scale
[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]

JYD #4
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Andy Wayne] #125834 07/25/07 11:16 AM
Wiggitty Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
The blades could also be used to strike your flint rod with.

speaking of using a hacksaw blade for your flint... does a hacksaw blade work that much better than the striker that comes with it?

Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Government Agency. JYD.45
Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: Wiggitty] #125835 07/25/07 04:17 PM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The blades could also be used to strike your flint rod with.

speaking of using a hacksaw blade for your flint... does a hacksaw blade work that much better than the striker that comes with it?

I have tied both and they both work well, the hacksaw blade leaves bigger scars on the rod, but it has other uses. the striker works very well (it was made for that sole reason) but the hacksaw blade's multifunction-ness makes it better for your PSK when space and weight are critical

Re: Multi-tool for your PSK [Re: james_bond] #125836 07/25/07 10:27 PM
Andy Wayne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
If you use something aggressive like the teeth on a hacksaw blade, or the striker that comes with it, it works well and makes large hot sparks, but it really tears up your rod. So, if I use a hacksaw blade, I use the back edge, not the teeth side.

JYD #4
Page 1 of 2 1 2