Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 235 of 383 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 382 383
Re: HEST IS JUNK! [Re: skorpyd] #210792 02/23/11 03:14 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Hey RN, when you have carried the Rake for a bit let us know what you think about it? Also has anyone actually USED a Manix 2 and what is your impression?

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: Jroden5446] #210793 02/23/11 04:20 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I am glad I got out of my HEST LE after it went back to Italy for fixing, and passed on my HEST preorder. Just got a bad feeling.

Well my folder quest continues.

I did the same, I sold my LE and cancelled my production pre order

I remember when you posted your photo- ya seemed a bit underwhelmed by it. Didn't know if it was b/c you had just gotten the ZT/Hinderer which looks like grail folder...for about $25 more than the HEST-F...

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: RN] #210794 02/23/11 04:41 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Gianni responded to my review in BF. He says it is designed to take a lot of effort initially to keep it from opening in the pocket, and that I do not know the proper way to open a framelock. In other words, "Operator Error". I have no problem opening the big Benchmade Skirmish one-handed. My right thumb is sore from repeatedly trying to open this HEST. Tried it again today. It's easier just to use both hands. No way could I grab this knife in a stressful situation and deploy the blade one-handed. No matter how cool it looks, or how many trick features it has, it must function well for me to carry it. I am so disappointed in the knife. I had hoped to make it my EDC. The HEST can now join my other expensive collectibles in the drawer. It seems to me that speed and ease of deployment would be high priorities in designing a knife for a "Hostile Environment". Looks like the ZT0350 was the better choice by far.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: Horn Dog] #210795 02/23/11 05:11 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'll bet you have a big group of better folders!

That thread took a rather ugly turn! yuck!

I can't help but think if esee was involved, the knife and whole outcome would have turned out a whole lot different....

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Hostile To User Tool (HTUT) [Re: Horn Dog] #210796 02/23/11 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even after loosening the pivot adjustment and working it with Break-free, the HEST folder is a two-hand opener.

Wow. I usually agree with your opinions, but I got to disagree this time. I find the build/finish of the HEST/F on par with my ZT 0300ST. I agree it was a little difficult adjusting to the opening of it, but it didn't take long to learn the technique. It obviously isn't as fast as an assisted opener with one hand, however, it is faster than my switch blade Benchmade when considering the time it takes from reaching to my pocket to being open and locked in my hand ready to cut. (See video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29w5dRtFGG0

Excuse the quality, I shot this with my issued cell phone under poor lighting.

You can see when I am closing it the blade holds its place, so it isn't crazy lose or anything. I haven't adjusted the pivot one bit. Taking it out of the pocket and then opening it is as fast as my ZT. Drawing it out of the pocket and making it catch the bottle opener on the lip of my pants is as fast as anything I have seen.

Last edited by JarheadJournalist; 02/23/11 06:00 PM.
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: RN] #210797 02/23/11 06:01 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well RYP offered a refund but suggested that I "work it in" for a week or so. Apparently, some of these are really stiff when new. My Rat Trap liner lock was that way, but it wasn't anywhere near this hard to open. It did improve with use. We will see what happens.

Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: RN] #210798 02/23/11 06:01 PM
Jroden5446 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I prefer the zt/ hinderer over it. Dunno, for some reason I wasn't crazy about the hest blade shape or the graphics on the blade, although I love my fixed hest, don't understand it myself

JYD#107/JorDog. BAD WOLF
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: Jroden5446] #210799 02/23/11 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine was hard to open at first because I was pushing straight up like I do with other knives with thumb studs. Other knives have the thumb stud far enough out for that to work. Once I started pushing away from the handle at a 45 degree angle, it flew open. Maybe you are having the same issue, or maybe yours is just different from mine.

Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: ] #210800 02/23/11 06:40 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Mine was hard to open at first because I was pushing straight up like I do with other knives with thumb studs. Other knives have the thumb stud far enough out for that to work. Once I started pushing away from the handle at a 45 degree angle, it flew open. Maybe you are having the same issue, or maybe yours is just different from mine.

I am pushing out not forward, JJ. The Ontario RAT folder was the same way, but it was much easier than this one. Like all mechanical things in this world, I'm sure the ease of opening varies some. You know when you wait for a special knife for months and when you get it you can't even open it, it really ticks you off. But I am working on my technique and wearing it in. I really want this to be my new EDC because of the design features and toughness of the knife.

Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: ] #210801 02/23/11 06:44 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
That wasn't a bad video JJ. Man that thing DOES open fast. I was wondering if the opener would work like the wave feature on the Emersons.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: SkunkHunter] #210802 02/23/11 06:46 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm sorry that YOURS apparently slipped through the crack as far as QC is concerned. Hopefully though it will get better and become the folder you want it to be. As you said, time will tell and hopefully it WILL become your new edc.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: HEST IS COMING! [Re: Horn Dog] #210803 02/23/11 06:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel you, HornDog. I was a more than irked when I saw the blade tip protruding from the scales. If I had planned to keep it as a collector I would have sent it back for adjusting or a new pin or whatever they planned to do. Since I like the feel and build quality I fixed it myself so I could use it immediately. There is no excuse for me having to fix it though.

I carry it every day while on base and then switch back to my Skeletool when out in German territory. Both have a bottle opening feature. Very important to me. Other Leathermans have bottle openers, but you have to open them.

The bad taste of the initial tip issue and politics/manners with the HEST/F has left my mouth and I am happy with my pocket knife.

Last edited by JarheadJournalist; 02/23/11 06:52 PM.
Page 235 of 383 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 382 383