Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DMDC sharpening update #217306 03/26/08 04:10 PM
jackell Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My DMDC didn't come as sharp as I was expecting for a Scrap Yard Knife. From the other post I've been reading a lot of you experienced the same. Keep in mind I am not very good at sharpening knives. On my lunch break I took a 4" thirty cent ceremic rod using the method described by Jerry Busse on his website (see below)and with a few passes brought the edge up to what I usually get from the factory. The edge justs needs some minor finish work.

Jerry Busse quote:
Sharpening
I personally fall into the category of "hand sharpening challenged". I've heard tales of those who can sharpen ball peen hammers to a razor's edge on an Arkansas stone in less than 5 seconds flat. My experiences have always been to the contrary. The spine of the knife is usually sharper than the edge when I'm finished applying my magic stone sharpening technique. Simply stropping away from the edge (the way a barber strops a straight edged razor) on a ceramic stick is basically all that is required to resharpen. Since you're not chipping steel off the edge there is no need to grind any steel away.

If you don't sharpen your axe from time to time, you will soon be chopping with a hammer. JYD #81
Re: DMDC sharpening update [Re: jackell] #217307 03/26/08 05:11 PM
C
ColdOne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
C
Glad to hear you were able to bring it up to spec jackell!

JYD#10
Blade '08 - I challenge coined Dan Busse and WON!
Blade '10 - The score is now 2-0!