Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wind and Electricity [Re: Athos] #244257 09/17/08 02:09 AM
Kraz Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Good to hear no one is hurt Jim. Hopefully the power co. will get you back online shortly.

F5 like you mean it! JYD #15
Re: Wind and Electricity [Re: Jim] #244258 09/18/08 05:49 AM
I
Implume Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper
I
I considered using a Dogfather for chopping, but I also had an H.I. Chiruwa AK I'd bought used but never used. I was surprised by how well that khukri cut -- it was much better than any hatchet I've owned, I suppose because it had weigh to carry it through, with a thinner blade profile than a hatchet, but faster blade speed. I had to consider what would happen if the blade carried through (and adjust my body placement accordingly) because it went through some branches in a single swing.

The only bad part is that in addition to chopping larger branches, I cut a mulberry sapling near ground level and hit a buried rock. That hit folded over the tip -- I think I'm going to have to tap that back into shape with a hammer. I don't like to damage any of my knives, but least I didn't ding a DF on that rock. An SR-77/Res-C Khukri might sing to me after all.

Jim:

IIRC, H.I. Khukris are tempered for cutting at the center of percussion. The tips are left soft because they don’t expect anyone to chop with the tip. You should be able to straighten that tip out without snapping the metal.

Re: Wind and Electricity [Re: Implume] #244259 09/18/08 07:56 PM
Jim Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Whoo Hoo!!! I'm getting ready to leave work, so I called home and my answering machine picked up. That means I've got electricity. I can watch TV and get on the computer again -- no more sitting in the dark!!

JYD #60
Page 2 of 2 1 2