Print Thread
Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26
Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: Horn Dog] #32275 03/28/07 12:48 PM
K
kevral Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
K
The Northmen were prolific explorers and traders,too. They traveled into Russia and even the Black Sea areas.

And even served as the personal bodyguard of the East Roman Emperor in Constantinople, as the Varangian Guard.

Last edited by kevral; 03/28/07 12:48 PM.
Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: Gravelface] #32276 03/28/07 12:50 PM
K
kevral Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
K
Anyone have any good Norse or Rune Tattoos?

Best I've ever seen are from a small tattoo shop in Copenhagen, Denmark. When they bother to show up for a tattoo convention, I figure they get as much attention alone as all the other tattoo artists put together.

Check out their work at http://www.tattoo.dk/

Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: DMelone] #32277 03/28/07 12:53 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I think we are discovering that many of the ancients were much more advanced than we had been led to believe. Look at the recent series on Chinese technology that has been on the History Channel. I look for truth and beauty wherever I can find it. I am gaining a respect for the ancient wisdom and technology in all cultures that I did not have in my youth.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: Horn Dog] #32278 03/28/07 12:59 PM
Unsub Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
There is a site in newfoundland where they found a Viking era community and the government has done a good job with it even going so far as to as making a replica of the longhouse they have found. Bernard Cornwell does an amazing historical novel about the Viking/Saxon conflict in britian called The Last Kingdom. He also wrote the Sharpe novels about the life of a brit soldier in the Napoleonic era.
The christians who destroyed the norse faith did everything they could to either
obliterate or co-opt all the traditions. Ironicly some important info about our culture that would have been lost can be extrapolated from those early christians.
Check out the Stave churches for a look at what a late viking era pagan church would have looked like.

"if you want to be a hero you have to learn to drive stick"! Sara Conner
Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: Unsub] #32279 03/28/07 01:16 PM
K
kevral Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
K
Check out the Stave churches for a look at what a late viking era pagan church would have looked like.

That's speculation.

There are 2 theories on the origin of stave churches: either they are an interpretation of Byzantine basilica in wood, or they are derived from pre-christian "hov". This second theory was prevalent until 50 years ago but has since been rejected due to lack of supporting archaeological evidence.

Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: kevral] #32280 03/31/07 04:37 AM
coyotebc Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I am an agnostic, however I have studied religions my whole life. My oldest daughter is very interested in her viking heritage through her maternal grandfather.
The youngest seems more involved in the Celtic roots of my family.
If I believed it would probably be more along the lines of the nordic gods.

A krishna friend of mine always claims that I am a non-believing believer. One day we may find out if he is right.

What is interesting is how the different gods evolved over time.
Originally Loki was seen more as a trickster god, however as the Christian religion gained prevelence he was slowly turned into a more satanic figure.

Also look at how Baldur seems to evolve into a more "christ" like figure.

One of the forum names I use is Magniaesir, not technically correct however I do like the sound of it

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: The Norse Pagan thread. [Re: coyotebc] #32281 03/31/07 04:40 AM
coyotebc Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
On a different note my youngest brother had our clan moto tattoed in gaelic around his arm.
He lifts weights and it is done in red outlined in black and it looks very good.

When I asked him why he put it in gaelic when nobody could read it, replied "I know what it means"

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26