header

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#363699 - 08/22/09 09:42 PM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: RN]
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Georgia
The Waki is much heavier, so compared to the Northwind, it is slower in the hand. A lot of it has to do with technique, though. The long handle on the Waki allows for different grips. Gripped up near the front, the heavy handle acts as a counterweight, allowing for fast snap cuts and such. It also can be used to increase reach in a thrust or slash. I admit, I am not an expert with swords and I am still learning how to handle the Waki. I'm sure that someone more proficient with such weapons could do better than I can. The Northwind is much like a machete, and I am very familiar with using those.

#363700 - 08/22/09 10:09 PM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: Horn Dog]
reconseed Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Khost, Afghanistan
Id take the Waki over the Northwind. SR101 is a great steel and ive always wanted one of these.
JYD #59 1LT Clark Tucker OD, Platoon LDR US Army

#363701 - 08/22/09 10:12 PM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: reconseed]
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Quote:

Id take the Waki over the Northwind. SR101 is a great steel and ive always wanted one of these.

So would I in hand-to-hand combat against zombies or whatever. I can throw it like a spear, or use both hands for more power in a zombie decapitation slash.

Edited by Horn Dog (08/22/09 10:14 PM)

#363702 - 08/22/09 11:40 PM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: Horn Dog]
tedwca Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Northern California
LOL, the Northwind is one of the few blades I have that scare me. One moment of inattention can be really bad with it. At least the Waki and AK have finger guards, but there is something so sexy about the curves of the Northwind. It is something you have to see in person as it does not come across in photos very well.

#363703 - 08/23/09 01:05 AM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: tedwca]
KnifeGuy Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Spring, TX
Quote:

LOL, the Northwind is one of the few blades I have that scare me. One moment of inattention can be really bad with it. At least the Waki and AK have finger guards, ...

+1 - Somehow my Northwind makes me a lot more nervous than my Waki, larger 21" Criswell than similar sized machetes. I don't really have many sword like objects.
But, I think my Cheness Katana still takes the cake for me. So much wicked blade - even with a tsuba (guard).

Quote:

... but there is something so sexy about the curves of the Northwind. It is something you have to see in person as it does not come across in photos very well.

+1
JYD #39 I prefer "SATIN" blades!!!

#363704 - 08/23/09 01:19 AM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: KnifeGuy]
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I did a bit more slashing and chopping than what I showed in the pics. The "feel" of the Barkie was just awesome. I could take out a bunch of thick stalks of palmettos in one impressive slash. It just worked better for me in machete mode. I think the Waki is both a thrusting and slashing weapon, where the Barkie is a slasher and hacker. Both swords are very impressive to use but completely different in feel. I like them both. But just wait a few more months and see what the Killa Zilla can do with my thinned edge. It's just plain scary.

#363705 - 08/23/09 01:23 AM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: KnifeGuy]
coyotebc Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: British Columbia
I would take either in a second
The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102

#363706 - 08/23/09 10:14 AM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: coyotebc]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
Quote:

I would take either in a second

+1!
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#363707 - 08/23/09 11:00 AM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: RN]
Gambit Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Texas
Nice pics HD, thanks for the review. Good stuff!!!
JYD #73 Chance favors the prepared mind.

#363708 - 08/23/09 07:19 PM Re: Chop-Off: Waki vs Northwind [Re: Horn Dog]
Steel Fan Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Quote:

I did a bit more slashing and chopping than what I showed in the pics. The "feel" of the Barkie was just awesome. I could take out a bunch of thick stalks of palmettos in one impressive slash. It just worked better for me in machete mode. I think the Waki is both a thrusting and slashing weapon, where the Barkie is a slasher and hacker. Both swords are very impressive to use but completely different in feel. I like them both. But just wait a few more months and see what the Killa Zilla can do with my thinned edge. It's just plain scary.

Nice chop off Vic...

Reprofiled my Zilla today...tomorrow should be fun
JYD #75

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >