Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: coyotebc] #561704 11/13/10 06:32 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Yote, From a 20 year Vet, I thank you for you partiotism. VETERANS of ALL nations should be remembered as WILLING to give up everything wheather they served in and or during wartime or not to preserve the rights and freedoms that they and those before fought and unfortunately many times died for. Freedom is indeed, NOT free. But paid for with the Blood, Sweat and Lives of those who believe that tyranny and opperssion should be fought by EVERYONE! I for one, salute YOU for your patriotism and thoughtfulness.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: Spider-Pig] #561705 11/13/10 06:34 PM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I've always thought of Veterans' Day as a celebratory day. Everyone that I know that has served gets a thank you from me. I also make phone calls to all of my friends and family that have served to express my grattitude. I think our somber day is Memorial Day.
Exactly Adam.

SYKCO JYD#112
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: coyotebc] #561706 11/14/10 12:11 AM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
November 11th is Remembrance day here in Canada and many Canadians are outraged at Eddie Bauer for holding a Remembrance day sale.
I understand this is common in the US for Veterans day.

In Canada most of us see Remembrance day as a very solemn day and phrases such as have a happy Remembrance day are just not done. And we would never "celebrate" Remembrance day.

So my question is how do Americans view Veterans day.
Is it the same in the US or is this an example of one of our cultural differences.

Are you kidding? Most Americans don't even know what day of the week it is. We already have Memorial Day to commemorate the fallen in battle. WWI vets wanted "Armistice Day" changed to Veterans Day to honor the WWII veterans.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: Horn Dog] #561707 11/14/10 06:11 AM
Hooker Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
For me and my circle of friends it is a day to say thankyou to Veterans and appreciate the sacrifices they have made for our freedoms we enjoy every day.

JYD 139
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty",Thomas Jefferson
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: Horn Dog] #561708 11/14/10 07:17 AM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
November 11th is Remembrance day here in Canada and many Canadians are outraged at Eddie Bauer for holding a Remembrance day sale.

In Canada most of us see Remembrance day as a very solemn day and phrases such as have a happy Remembrance day are just not done. And we would never "celebrate" Remembrance day.

Is it the same in the US or is this an example of one of our cultural differences.

Are you kidding? Most Americans don't even know what day of the week it is. We already have Memorial Day to commemorate the fallen in battle. WWI vets wanted "Armistice Day" changed to Veterans Day to honor the WWII veterans.

Sorry Vic what do you mean am I kidding?

Also in Canada we do not have Memorial Day

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: coyotebc] #561709 11/14/10 05:04 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog

Sorry Vic what do you mean am I kidding?

Also in Canada we do not have Memorial Day

Many Americans do observe Veterans Day and honor those who have served. Many more don't even know what it is. For them, it is just a day that the banks are closed and the mail doesn't run. Not too long ago, our local school system did not observe it at all. I am afraid that our educational system here just doesn't teach respect for those who have served. It means a lot to me, though. It is true that we also have a Memorial Day to honor those who gave their lives in battle. But I don't think Veterans Day here carries the same solemn observance that Remembrance Day does in Canada. People do say, "Happy Veterans Day". Applebees had free meals for veterans on Nov 11. Since the name change, I don't think Veterans Day carries the same respect it did as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: Horn Dog] #561710 11/14/10 05:18 PM
MrOverkill Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don't think that the current educational system/average upbringing teaches respect for anyone or anything, but that's an argument for another time and place

It is always permissible to kill a fly with a sledgehammer 1000K OR BUST! LONG LIVE THE YARD!
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: MrOverkill] #561711 11/14/10 05:39 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
^^^ WHAT HE SAID!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: SkunkHunter] #561712 11/14/10 05:41 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Now, don't get me wrong. I know that SOME places do. Like our school system here. I guess you could say that our school system here is sorta "Old School". Don't sass the teachers or you are outta class for that day at least. And I know a lot of the kids still carry pocket knives to school just like I did starting in the 3rd grade and as long as they don't "play" with them its cool.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: SkunkHunter] #561713 11/14/10 06:07 PM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks again
One last question here in Canada we wear poppies on Remembrance day as a symbol of our veterans that lost their lives.
We have been doing it since 1922
Do you do something similar on either Memorial day or Veterans day

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: SkunkHunter] #561714 11/14/10 06:08 PM
MrOverkill Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
well, yeah, some places do well in that way, however, as a whole the general upbringing of youth these days is shot to hell

It is always permissible to kill a fly with a sledgehammer 1000K OR BUST! LONG LIVE THE YARD!
Re: A question for my American brothers [Re: MrOverkill] #561715 11/14/10 06:41 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Bill, not that I know of or can remember. Hopefully someone like Vic or maybe Klink will be better able to answer your question.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3