Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569460 06/19/11 06:39 AM
Steeley Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice FAK Randy. I am going to check those bags out now.

Bussekin, the trinity of toughness. JYD #130
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Steeley] #569461 06/19/11 06:47 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Steeley, you CAN put a 1 liter bottle in the side pockets, but I did not feel as if they were secure enough. The taller and thinner bottle I have allows the "Pocket" to be almost completely zipped up and is a lot more secure. Right now I have a web belt with 2 one quart canteens on it and OR I could use my 2 quart canteen if needed. I will probably wind up pairing the 2 quart with Patty's BOB and using the web belt setup for myself. Once I figure out which knife I plan on carrying on it I will need to get a sheath built to accommodate the width of the belt.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569462 06/19/11 06:49 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Ok and make sure what ever bottle you get is Stainless Steel!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569463 06/21/11 10:08 PM
ToboTech Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I THOUGHT I had posted this somewhere but Can't find it! Oh well here it is again. Let me know what you think as far as if I have made any major oversights?

MY MURSE KIT (511 Push Pack)

SAK tinkerer
Ontario Rat Model 1 (original) folder
Whistle
Small signal mirror
Smith’s diamond rod sharpener
ITI 3 power level plus strobe led light (aa)
Small Silva folding compass
Ball cap bill led flashlight
Swamp Warden velcroed to outside of the bag
4 Chemlight light sticks (2x30 min and 2x12 hour
4x 6 inch Fat wood sticks
PJ cotton balls x12 in 2 35mm film canisters
Fire starter kit (altoids box with tinder)
Leatherman tool
8X20 Simmons monocular
25oz. Water bottle
2 10 inch Velcro straps
Pair leather gloves
Disinfectant wipes (12)
Alcohol pads(12)
Equate triple Antibiotic ointment(1 tube)
Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aleve
Numerous assorted Band-Aids
4 4x4 gauze pads
25 2 in Roll of medical tape
Roll of gauze
2 inch gauze pads
Mercuroclear antiseptic/anesthetic
Quik Clot sponge
tourniquet
Moleskin
2 pair rubber gloves
1 small (2in) scissors
Imodium tablets
Benadryl capsules
Small razor knife

That’s pretty much it. Have I made any major omissions?
I'm no expert, but I would add:
hankercheif tied to bag (multi-use, helps with water filter)
water purification tabs
unlubricated condoms (small, can hold food or water).
something to eat (3 weeks no food = a tough first few days, followed by dizziness and weakness (well, that's how my fasts go)
paracord
some duct tape wrapped around a Fisher Space Pen
I'm guessing your AO is somewhat warm, as I don't see any shelter/emergency blankets- maybe no room in the bag?

Last edited by ToboTech; 06/21/11 10:09 PM.

JYD 132
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: ToboTech] #569464 06/22/11 10:07 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
TT, this is just Primarily a FAK. I do have some other items there as well as shown above. My main BOB, along with the one I am putting together for Patty will contain more items, including some food (I plan on putting some granola bar type items in the above listed kit though). Oh and I do have a bandana in there.

I overestimated the size. It will still fit THREE soda cans laying flat, not side by side.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 06/22/11 10:09 AM.
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569465 06/22/11 04:45 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog

Skunk Hunter.I am new to the forum but I have lots of experience with building out bags.have you consider putting a .22 pistol or revolver and some ammo in that lite pack. Sounds like the space you have is perfect for a couple 100 round bricks

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: gun dog] #569466 06/23/11 11:13 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Gun dog, thanks for the input! Only 22 handgun I have is a browning buckmark, won't fit in there. I am working on trying to swap it for something smaller (a Ruger of some kind perhaps). But I will probably have the 22 in the actual BOB or on a belt. This bag is predominately a FAK with some extras thrown in cause there was room.

As far as kit, I still have 2 1 liter water bottles with ss cups they nest in in my BOB and a SS mess kit but the pot is only about a half liter. I've also got a 2 qt canteen and 2 1 quart. I have a smaller backpack for Patty that I need to start working on as well. Got a few more things to throw in them then start the brain storming (also known as picking Architect's brains!).

Oh and It doesn't matter if you are new to the forum or one of the original founders. Make yourself at home and share what you know as you soak up new information.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569467 06/24/11 04:45 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Skunk Hunter. Some small .22 guns I have seen have been made by Walther. Some one I know uses a small .22mag revolver for ccw. its a bad ccw round but is a sweet little gun! It even has a small trijicon tritium sights for night shooting. The little revolver is only about 5inchs long and you con swap out the cylinders pretty fast.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: ToboTech] #569468 06/24/11 05:41 PM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog

I'm no expert, but I would add:
hankercheif tied to bag (multi-use, helps with water filter)
water purification tabs
unlubricated condoms (small, can hold food or water).
something to eat (3 weeks no food = a tough first few days, followed by dizziness and weakness (well, that's how my fasts go)
paracord
some duct tape wrapped around a Fisher Space Pen
I'm guessing your AO is somewhat warm, as I don't see any shelter/emergency blankets- maybe no room in the bag?
Just some food for thought
A shemag may work better than a handkerchief for some people as it is generally larger in size
A sock or cheap mesh bag to give support to a condom full of water
paracord can be replaced with 8mm or 9mm static cord
grease pen and/or pencil may replace the pen
space blankets work ok as does a large orange garbage bag
in your FAK you may want oral glucose gel (diabetics) and aspirin (heart attack)
mole skin for the feet and can be used to quite down metal parts banging (commonly used on arrow rests)

Last edited by coyotebc; 06/24/11 05:47 PM.

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569469 06/24/11 05:43 PM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have thought about trying to find some of the individual "MRE type) one serving instant coffee packs to throw in there. I want to keep this kit rather small (as keeping it all in my 511 Push Pack) but there is my 3 day assault TT pack and a smaller yardsale bag I have for Patty. Matter of fact, I need to get to work stocking that one up with some stuff as well.
cosco may have the coffee packs

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Endeavour Morse] #569470 06/24/11 06:26 PM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog

The Belt Order

The Belt Order is designed as a "mini-survival kit". This is to be on you at ALL TIMES! You can leave your ruck in camp while you forage / set up traps / fish or hunt / use the bathroom / scout / etc as long as you do not take off the belt order! The contents of a survival belt order usually include:

1. USGI or Improved Civilian Equivalent Pistol Belt - this is NOT used to hold up your trousers. This is to be worn OVER your trouser belt.

Now that we've addressed those issues, lets move on to the BOB itself....

3b) PETROL COTTON!

4a) MATCHES!

2) 550 CORD!
I prefer to attach a set of suspenders to my web belt to keep the weight on my shoulders. I know others that find the suspenders uncomfortable with other gear.

Another option for the vaseline cotton balls, is to get larger slurpee type straws. You can stuff the cotton into the straws and fold over the ends (you can later cut the straws to get the desired amount of cotton ball out). You can also dip cotton balls into paraffin wax, leaving one end free of wax or coated in Vaseline. If you practice you will get the amount of wax right to increase the burn time.
You can also take cotton string, dip it into paraffin wax and cut into lengths such as what will fit into a 35mm film case. I usually double up the string until it is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick before dipping in wax. Theses light easily with a lighter or put one end into a cotton ball.

Caution with match containers, plastic ones have been known to build up a static charge and light the matches inside. I do not know anyone that this has happened to, but I have been told f this risk

8mm or 9mm static cord may be a better option for some people than paracord

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: coyotebc] #569471 06/26/11 07:01 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Just some food for thought
A shemag may work better than a handkerchief for some people as it is generally larger in size
A sock or cheap mesh bag to give support to a condom full of water
paracord can be replaced with 8mm or 9mm static cord
grease pen and/or pencil may replace the pen
space blankets work ok as does a large orange garbage bag
in your FAK you may want oral glucose gel (diabetics) and aspirin (heart attack)
mole skin for the feet and can be used to quite down metal parts banging (commonly used on arrow rests)

I would like a shemagh but just haven't found one with a design I want yet. I like the Skull and crossbones but haven't found them for sale anywhere yet.

The sock and or bag would be a necessity for that type of emergency water bag.
Yeah I plan on getting some of those glucose type horse pills you can get at walmart, about the size of a quarter and comes in different flavors. I have them in the Jeep and the Truck. I had just not thought about getting them for my BOB lite. Good Idea, thanks as I and Patty both are diabetics.

Oh and I have a set of military suspenders for my web belt setup. right now that is all in the regular BOB.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25