I'm not an expert and in my hiking ,fishing trips didn't require this but noone mentioned a gas mask . If is going to be a natural disaster ,volcano eruptions ,fires ,explosions or even military strikes a gas mask could be the diference between life and death . I noticed that everyone is ignoring the gas mask including me and all the others when I was in the mandatory army service .
I allso think is good to have food and water for a few days but is better to have the meens to get them for a longer time ,much longer then 72 hours . You saw what happent with Katrina ,and don't forget that it happent in the most developed country ,wit enormous resorces of all kind . Here I would expect any help from government if somthing big comes up .
I have gas masks available at home, but in the bags, I make sure to pack 3M's 8577 P95 particulate masks. They can add greatly to your comfort in extreme dusty enviroments.

JYD 139
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty",Thomas Jefferson