Print Thread
Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? #602211 11/15/11 11:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am currently using a Gardall Microwave Safe MS129-G-CK and it is a fortress and has great ratings, but I have run out of room inside it.

I would like to get one big enough to store a Remington 870 w/ extra barrel (need about 20 inches with barrel off), a Kel-tec RFB (need 26 inches), lots of ammo and a stash of loot.

I am not looking for a "gun safe" as they don't have near as good ratings as "actual" safes.

I prefer a UL listed safe, haven't seen a gun safe yet with this, and found a floor model Amsec safe at a local security store for a decent price, $400. It only has 20 inches on it's longest dimensions, but I can always break my weapons down to make them fit or store them diagonally.

Anybody have any experience with these safes or have any suggestions?

I want to stay under a grand.

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: ] #602212 11/16/11 12:12 AM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have some experience with safes. Most safes similar people buy look very secure but they are pretty easy to break into. But they are OK for fire protection.

Part of my old job was getting into safes in a field expedient manner. LOL, it was legal.

Amsec makes some pretty good safes that are fire and burglary rated. But the price is healthy. Amsec does make a UL burglary and fire rated safe. The HS series has TL-30 and TL-15 safes.

I have an older version of this Amsec gunsafe and its a nice setup. Very fireproof, A diffuclt one to break into and too heavy to move without lots of help and tools.

Bang for the buck I think the Sf5924 is a good safe. Amsec SF series Plus if you want it will fit into a large closet if space is an issue.
If you look around you can get a good deal on them.

I have also heard good things about patriot but I have never even laid eyes on one.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: MonkeyBomb] #602213 11/16/11 03:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone knew a little bit about it.

I looked at the Amsec line up and they do look good. there are a few other security stores in town I haven't looked at yet. I will keep an eye out for the Amsecs. The SF5924 is right at the top of my budget, so i may get one if I find it locally. Shipping fees on it would make it out of my price range. I might even get lucky and find a used one.

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: ] #602214 11/16/11 03:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any reason I shouldn't buy a used one in good condition?

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: ] #602215 11/16/11 03:51 AM
Nagol84 Offline
Mutt
Mutt
Used Safes-BE WEARY OF PREVIOUS OWNER

I currently have a champion w/ a S&G lock. It is decent size ranging from a 42.5 inch Hunting rifle to a pistol, along w/ about two thousand rounds and 20 "extra clips". It was in the Hundreds but not too bad.

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: Nagol84] #602216 11/16/11 04:00 AM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I wouldn't shy away from a used safe. You can always have it looked over by a competent locksmith and have the combo changed.

JYD #113

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: MonkeyBomb] #602217 11/16/11 04:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wouldn't shy away from a used safe. You can always have it looked over by a competent locksmith and have the combo changed.

That was my thoughts on the matter. The used one I looked at today looked great and the locksmith gave me a pretty believable spiel about how he inspects each used safe he sells. I have no reason not to trust him unless I think he is in some crime ring where he sells safes to suckers like me and then his boys come rob me. But, then I guess, he could be doing the same with the new ones. I am screwed in that case and will just bury my stuff in the backyard.

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: ] #602218 11/16/11 05:46 AM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I need to have a smith come out and service my safe. I have never had any maintenance done on it. Its past due.

JYD #113

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: MonkeyBomb] #602219 11/16/11 04:51 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don't like electronic safes because several people I know got locked out of theirs when the batteries died.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Outgrew my safe, any suggestions on a new one? [Re: gun dog] #602220 11/16/11 11:22 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The people in Katrinaville were taught a lesson on checking their gun safe batteries on a regular basis.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"