Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: gun dog] #611563 02/08/12 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EDIT TO SET THE SCENE:

To the north of our position, Harriers were doing mock bombing runs and STOFLs (short take offs and landings), to the south, a few artillery gun line were pounding the ground and throughout our AO we ran into a few patrols of actual Iraqi Security Force members being trained by the infantry unit stationed here.

Today we had a final patrol practical application drill on one of the ranges. The Entire class had to secure a COP (Command Outpost) named Geronimo. Then the four platoons (which are actually more like squads when you take into acount size) took turns performing security foot patrols in the area.

Needless to say, each patrol ran into trouble.

3rd Squad, mine, received updated intel. via the radio from our COC (Combat Operation Center) that there was an HVI (High Value Individual) in a town along our patrol. The town, Sar Chesma, is a small community with about 30 buildings, farm areas and many vehicles. It has three roads and many foot paths leading out into the desert and is populated by about 40 locals (role players dressed in Middle Eastern garb, mostly actual Iraqis, Afghanis and Pakistanis we hired to work here at the training center).

The intel. we got said there was an HVI, a small cell of 6-8 Taliban insurgents, weapons cache and an IED lab making HME (Homemade Explosives). We took the initiative as we expected they wanted us to do and requested, via radio, to assault the position.

Once approved, we used our map to adjust our pre-designated mortar targets onto the places we thought would be the most likely ones for any encounters.

We began clearing the buildings one by one. Once we neared the town's center, two large explosions went off killing two Marines (not really, they just got covered in baby powder and had ringing ears) and wounding three. One had to be evacuated with the KIAs and the other two were able to press on with minor injuries.

As the three Marines were evacuated via helicopter (yes an actual helicopter took them away) we got a call from the bird about an enemy sighting 500 meters to the south of the town, the opposite we approached from. Then, myself and another Marine moved to the roof of the highest building (four stories) and spotted the mortar team in the desert field. We used a Leica Viper laser range finder connected to a GPS to get their grid coordinates and call in mortar fire. We called "fire for effect" on the first request and apparently we got it right. I assume they blew themselves up with baby powder to let us know we had, since they disappeared in a cloud of white powder about 20 seconds after the request.

An imaginary bird confirmed three dead two minutes later.

The Marines below immediately came under fire from three buildings. They cleared the closest building killing two more insurgents.

We were using SESAM rounds in our M16A4s and M4s to do the killing. Think ballistic paint pellets. Here's an example.
[Linked Image from simunition.com]

The lower Marines occupied the cleared building and returned fire to the two buildings across the street as four of them cover the rear of their position.

The fire from the enemies started to dwindle.

At this point, the other Marine on the roof with me noticed movement behind the enemies last seen location in the allies. They were trying to flank the lower Marines and were oblivious us to our elevated position. We radio the squad and told them the direction of the enemies.

They immediately rushed the two buildings and killed the two enemies that stayed behind to maintain our attention. We suffered another casualty when the lead Marine in the stack to enter one of the buildings took a round the the shoulder. he chicken winged his rifle and pushed on. Fighting wounded is much easier when the rounds just sting and bruise a little.

There were now three insurgents in the alley directly below my position and the rest of the squad was approaching them from two directions. When the three forces met, rounds filled the air below, but not for long.

Me and my partner were trying to contact the squad on the radio, but no one replied to our calls. We wanted to let them know one of the insurgents resembled the description of the HVI we were after.

Since the fight already started, we decided to shoot all three in the top of the head. We killed the HVI.

We then systematically cleared the rest of the town finding no one else but civilians, an IED lab and weapons cache. We called them in to the COC and was told to return to Geronimo.

On the way out of town we successfully avoided three IED placements. The last one was a good time. The point man was tired of altering routes in the labyrinth of buildings and shot the IED with a round. The instructor called on the radio yelling that we shouldn't shoot his equipment. We laughed, but didn't key the radio up for that.

Back at Geronimo, we got accolades for a partially successful mission,( we did kill the man we wanted to interrogate) and reprimanded for shooting the IED. They'll get over it, or they won't.

Last edited by JarheadJournalist; 02/08/12 03:31 AM.
Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: ] #611564 02/08/12 01:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, I got carried away with a long post.

Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: ] #611565 02/08/12 06:13 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
It might have been long JJ, but it was GOOD!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: SkunkHunter] #611566 02/08/12 09:14 AM
Sar5 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great post jj, thanks

Tue May 03 2011 0457 am Posts 493153 & 493154 Doc and I became.... JYD Brothers of the Clock!
Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: Sar5] #611567 02/10/12 09:53 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Awesome thanks for the update JJ. Sounds pretty cool

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: gun dog] #611568 02/19/12 09:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everything is done here in the desert except for the ceremonial stuff.

I graduated as a distinguished graduate and earned my green Marine Corps Martial Arts Program belt.

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]

We had our mess night and things got fun. It is a great tradition, but I have to remain tight lipped about what actually goes on during one except for the formalities. The other Jarheads here know what I am talking about. Here is a little read about our mess nights if you are interested. http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marinemess.htm

Here is a pic of my platoon, The Durty Thurd (3rd Platoon), as you can see we are down a few from the original 20.

That pic was taken on the general's lawn before the Mess Night began. Here is one from the cocktail hour with yours truly after many drinks getting familiar with a fellow Marine's leg.

This one is the beginning of the night, but the rest of the photos I took have to remain among the Marines as they are not fit for public consumption.

Random pic from my bike ride this morning.

While here I have continued my work as a stringer for a few publications. One job was about the latest video game handheld, PS Vita. I wrote a review about it and many of its games. I was asked to take a picture of the machine in the environment I think service members will be using it. This is a little off topic, but I figured I'd show you how I supplement my income.

That's all for now. I will write a wrap up post when I get home. Ahhh, it feels so nice to say "home."

Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: ] #611569 02/19/12 09:47 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great pics JJ- congrats!

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: RN] #611570 02/19/12 09:52 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You made us proud JJ. Course we knew you would. Congratulations, you DID earn it!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: SkunkHunter] #611571 02/19/12 09:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love how our MMA belts are all "tacti-cool," so much better than those long, soft and girly Karate belts.

Re: Sergeant's Course Journal w/pics? [Re: SkunkHunter] #611572 02/19/12 11:11 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great job JJ

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7