Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Optics thread! [Re: Rasmus] #785826 07/24/13 06:38 AM
lazi Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Rasmus
I am an optometrist, so ask away when it comes to glasses.

What is your lens power? And roughly how old are you?

way too blind for 38 years old is all I know. i never paid any attention to my prescription and I currently need to go get my eyes checked. just been putting if off since i really don't have a set plan for purchasing new glasses. i'm not like legally blind or crippled blind but i wouldnt try to drive home if I lost my glasses. figure that's a big enough a problem that I should look for some well built glasses.

i do plan to have the surgery done some time in the next couple of years. both my sisters did it and seem to be fine. but really i'm fine with wearing glasses and even if I had the surgery i'd probably still wear wear something like anti glare glasses or something just because I'm so used to it.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Optics thread! [Re: gun dog] #785853 07/24/13 08:45 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by gun dog
In looking at glass for a ruger GSR. What would you recommend arch?
I saw leupold makes a 30mm tube scout scope that is 1.5-5 power and is part if their vx-r line. Asked and they will add their cds dial system for another 90

I'd stay with Leupold fixed power IER Scout Scope. The GSR isn't capable of great accuracy (16" Ruger barrel with a muzzle break and non-free floating stock = 2.5 MOA from field positions. You might do better with a high magnification scope from the bench, but the GSR is a "field gun" not a "bench gun") and the fixed scope is FAST. That's the entire point of a scout optic. You get some magnification to aid with precision, but you also have a fast scope for moving targets.

The Germans used low powered scopes mounted in the scout position on their 98k's as sniper rifles during WW2. For "shoot and move" this is a good set up. Obviously if you want to "snipe" or shoot long range precision you need a different rifle and traditional higher power optic.

Short answer: Leupold fixed power scout in QD rings. You want to be able to pull it off fast.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Optics thread! [Re: gun dog] #785854 07/24/13 08:47 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by gun dog
I want something that I can use for low light close work or in. Pinch I can take advantage of the .308 round to reach out and nail a varmint wink

Based upon this comment, a Trijicon Accupoint in 1-4x would be ideal, but it is a PIG (heavy and big). It also cost $800.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #785994 07/24/13 09:22 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I do like the trijicon. I will have to save for a while though

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #786049 07/24/13 11:43 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I wish someone would step up and make a trijicon fighter maybe we would see them come down in price, but as far as I can see they are the only low power battle rifle scope worth anything out there. I mean look at some of the great red dots that have come out to fight with eotech.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #786076 07/25/13 03:38 AM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by lazi
Originally Posted by Rasmus
I am an optometrist, so ask away when it comes to glasses.

What is your lens power? And roughly how old are you?

way too blind for 38 years old is all I know. i never paid any attention to my prescription and I currently need to go get my eyes checked. just been putting if off since i really don't have a set plan for purchasing new glasses. i'm not like legally blind or crippled blind but i wouldnt try to drive home if I lost my glasses. figure that's a big enough a problem that I should look for some well built glasses.

i do plan to have the surgery done some time in the next couple of years. both my sisters did it and seem to be fine. but really i'm fine with wearing glasses and even if I had the surgery i'd probably still wear wear something like anti glare glasses or something just because I'm so used to it.

A word of advice is: Always have a back-up pair of glasses. Especially when away from home or out in the nature.
When and if you go for surgery, remember to think in presbyopia, which is around the corner, at your age. And I am pretty sure you won't find the need for any kind of antiglare glasses. It is the lens itself that produces reflexes. Sunglasses however is ALWAYS a good idea.

As for a frame for new glasses now; go for a full frame and preferably titanium. That way you should be good. And then, do not try to save money on lens quality. It is not worth it.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #786124 07/25/13 08:24 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I agree greaser. Vortex would be a good contender to duke it out with trijicon if they made the right product

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Optics thread! [Re: greaser] #786135 07/25/13 08:49 AM
lazi Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
oh and Lazi look at Wiley X glasses mine made it through a year in Afghanistan pretty much unscathed and they are modular so you can have spare parts.

thanks, been looking at these pretty hard. looks like the way to go.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #786137 07/25/13 08:59 AM
lazi Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
i usually end up getting as good a lens as I can without the overkill. but the frames have all been off the rack frames whatever place i end up. I've always known they were looks more than anything.

hadn't thought about titinum frames. i will certainly look at these for "stylish" pair of glasses. thanks for the advice.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #790828 09/09/13 09:18 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Ok, I've settled on the Burris Fastfire III red dot reflex sight for my Shotgun. BUT I am wondering about something.

Considering this will not be a hunting shotgun, should I get the 8moa dot sight or the 3 moa dot one?

Consider the fact that this will in all probability be a 50 yard maximum weapon (probably 25 yards 99.999999999 percent of the time, and HOPEFULLY only on the range).

So, 8moa dot or 3 or 4 moa dot?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 09/12/13 02:19 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #819944 12/16/13 04:01 PM
lazi Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
got a used burris fullfield ii for $20. looking like a good scope. i haven't shot it yet i'm becoming a burris fan. big ole "Made in USA" on the scope and it seems to be built well. i called burris to order some turret caps thinking maybe a few bucks. the customer service guy was excellent! grabbed a few caps for different scopes (since i explain the top turret seem to need a bigger cap) and said he would send them right out. I asked how much for lens covers for that particular scope. he said he would grab some and send those with everything.

Burris also has what the call a "forever warranty".

Forever Warranty – Protects Burris products from any defects in materials or workmanship — even if you are not the original owner. Burris will, at our option, repair or replace the item at no charge.

so while i was at it i called another company to ask about some turret caps i was missing. $5.50 for EACH cap and $5.50 shipping. granted these are unique "raised" caps but that's a bit steep for one cap and at the least the shipping cost was pretty steep imo.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Optics thread! [Re: lazi] #819947 12/16/13 04:22 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice I may just have to pull the trigger on getting a couple of there optics I have been eyeing up.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12