Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787095 08/01/13 01:45 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
MM, you're right. Gary's posts are always informational and give good food for thought. I'm gonna copy his "List" and go over my own with it and add and or subtract from my items based on what I perceive as my needs.

Gary, I am set (or at least think I am) on 2 water bottles. The Maxped Pigmy Falcon II has them built in on each side of the pack. It is a 1200 Cubic inch pack and the TT is approx that. Do you think the Pigmy Falcon would work well for this "Mission" or should I be looking for something else, perhaps that Fight Light Removable Operator Pack?

Just for info, I already have a TT 3 day assault pack.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 08/01/13 02:14 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787096 08/01/13 01:56 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and I forgot to add that I always have on me my little Altoids tin RX kit. This little kit gets used a lot. It consists of:

1-GermX wipe.
10-Tylenol
4-Ibuprofen
4-Aleve
4-Benedryl
2-Imodium
6-assorted band-aids
1-Classic SAK sharpened to a Warncliff blade profile with a needle tip.
6-Zofran dissolving tablets (these are the BEST thing for an upset stomach. If you are prone to an upset stomach, have your doctor give you an RX for these, but get the dissolving kind. You just put one between your cheek and gum.
6-Hydrocodone (I'm a real druggie, I've used maybe 36 of these in the last 2 and a half years), but they are handy to have.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 08/01/13 02:19 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787113 08/01/13 09:09 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
MM,
Glad to be of some assistance. Taking a class is a great way to have your gear and ideas "wrung out". I know spending time in the field is really the only way to test our theories. I've made the mistake of carrying too much crap, because in the comfort of Fort Living Room I thought I couldn't live without XYZ. My objective, for the past five years or so, has been to increase my skills and experience and therefore decrease my dependence on "stuff".

Always remember there are two types of survival gear:

Durables and Expendables

Its a challenge to balance the needs of immediacy (expendables) with the needs of duration (durables).

If at all possible, we shouldn't have a pack over 35 pounds because once you add the weight of your belt carried gear, a firearm, etc - you've overloaded yourself and prone to slow and difficult movement and the possibility of a mechanical injury.

MM - if you have any questions post them in here so everyone can benefit from the responses.

Randy,
Please remember the gear I carry is a result of:

A) My plan
B) My needs to execute my plan

Always feel free to use my gear examples to tune your own, but your gear must be mission driven.

Everyone,
MISSION DRIVES GEAR - figure out what you're trying to do (survive this or that, get home, fight your way to safety, whatever) and then develop a plan of action. Your POA will drive the gear you need to execute your POA.

For example, if an EMP rendered my vehicle useless I'd have about a 40 mile hike home from work (through a city and into a rural area). This makes my GHB different than someone that lives 5 minutes from work in a large city.

Randy,

Water is heavy. I like to have a day's worth on me (two 32oz Nalgenes), but I have quite a few methods of making water potable (for in field refills). We both live in an area with ample ground water and rainfall so our needs are different from someone who lives in an arid region.

Regarding the pack I use - its because its what I have. I'm not a big fan of the Fightlight line of gear, because the weight savings (of the 500D lightweight material) isn't a good trade compared to the stronger (and slightly heavier 1000D used on most of TT's gear).

For a "GHB" or "Hiking Bag" I like them small and light. This isn't a "BOB" so 20 pounds should be about the max. My bag is heavier than it should be because I carry 112rounds of 40SW and a NMSFNO (larger than I need for a GHB).

I really like Maxped's gear - especially their organizational designs. Its great to have a well thought out pack that already has a place to store: water, first aid, nav gear, etc. TT's packs are military oriented, and as a result typically bombproof (again see my comments on the 500D products). This is why I recommend them. However, my only complaint about MaxPed is they seem bigger in the picture than in person, and the material is so stiff it makes them hard to "stuff". I'd use your Pigmy.

Your 3-Day pack would be my basis for a BOB.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787114 08/01/13 09:25 AM
Ray Settanta Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
A great deal of useful information here. Thanks.

JYD #182
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787141 08/02/13 01:26 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
That's what my Assault pack is for Gary. But thanks for the reinforcing words. Makes me think I done good.

I actually am torn between the Pigmy Falcon II and the Falcon II. I LIKE built in dual water bottle carriers of the Pigmy. But the size of the Falcon is luring. That being said, I would probably tend to stuff it with a lot more stuff than I need and I want this bag to be a GHB for me (My longest travel 99.99999 percent of the time would be 15 miles of rural travel).

This is my initial thoughts on what I would carry IN the bag.

Poncho
4-5 inch knife
S&W model 60-10 5 shot SS .357 revolver plus about 25 rounds of ammo
spare socks and pair of underwear
water bottle with nesting 18oz SS cup (I would like to carry 2 bottles and one cup would do)
small FAK
roll of toilet paper
medium SAK
8 inch led flashlight
Texsport SS mess kit (just a possibility if room permits)
“Power” bars
1 or 2 “Space Blankets” (probably 2, they're not real big)
DT manufactured Fire "Kit")
Water purification straw, not really sure which one (brand) to carry yet.

Any Thoughts of additions or deletions?

My PRESENT thoughts are to carry my Bulldog Regulator in a dangler sheath by Rainwalker. BUT I think it might be a good idea to have something else.

But what do I take from the following, or do I just have the 411 and the Bulldog?
My large choices are:
The 911
The BWM
The 1311

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 08/02/13 02:14 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: SkunkHunter] #787144 08/02/13 02:11 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I quoted my own post, Duh.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 08/02/13 02:13 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787145 08/02/13 04:13 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I tend to over think my preparations on some things.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787150 08/02/13 06:41 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
I'm answering on my phone so I can search the difference between the Falcon and Pigmy. However, I'd steer clear of a pack that is too big because for GHB usage. Drawing little attention to yourself could mean the difference between life and death. Having said that, I would consider taking your BOB when you travel over 45 miles. The reason behind this is, even trained hikers rarely exceed 15 miles of cross country travel in a day thus 45 miles is already 3 days of brush busting. Resultantly, the GHB will be too small to house enough consumables.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787151 08/02/13 06:43 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I wanted to get that posted before I touched something wrong on my tiny phone screen and lost everything !

Regarding your gear:

1) There is no such thing as over thinking survival. Surviving is mostly mental so the more thought you put into it before "it happens" the more confidence and fortitude you'll have when something goes wrong.

Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787152 08/02/13 06:48 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
2) add five rounds of snake shot
3) more socks and less underwear - socks can double as mittens
4) ditch the bulky roll of TP in favor of a flat pack of "wet wipes". The travel packs are small but also offer other hygiene purposes
5) consider a LED headlamp instead of a flashlight because it frees your hands.
6) no need for the mess kit - your cup will suffice
7) Bulldog since you'll have a SAK
8) add a sharpener

Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787153 08/02/13 06:51 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
9) add some water purification tabs - will allow you to store found water ready for drinking (unlike the straw). This is in addition to the straw.
10) add 550 cord

Re: Survival Kit Competition? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #787154 08/02/13 07:09 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks Gary!

Never thought of the snake shot. Doh!

I was figuring on 2 pair of socks and 1 pair of under ware (extra)

We always carry wet wipes in the truck. never thought of them for the bag. Again Doh!
I have a headlamp in the nightstand next to the bed and another in the center console of the truck. Putting one in the bag makes a lot of sense. (It has 2 white led bulbs, 1 red)

I had thought of that for the mess kit.

I've got a Smith dual 4X1 inch sharpner, coarse/fine.

Had thought of the purification tabs but didn't put them down.

Got a brand new hank of 100ft of paracord. 25ft be enough?

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4