5) If you want "mechanical heat" hydronic systems works well if you have a solar system that powers the pump to move the fluid through a concrete floor. Of course, to be passive the sun would also have to heat the fluid which has proven to be prone to failure.

For heating I believe a solar powered forced air system with sistered wood stove (LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION) is best.

The house design and wood stove should be carefully considered. Eliminate as many hallways / corridors as possible and consider a loft for winter sleeping. The woodstove should be centrally located, but close to an exterior "wood box" door to prevent having to go outside for firewood.

A "wood box" is to be built onto the side of the house with a single opening between the two to permit wood to be pulled in. You fill the wood box instead of carrying in loads of wood (and letting out the heat).

FILL ALL CRACKS. Heating and cooling is lost through the smallest of cracks. "Infiltration" is the #1 cause of problems. Find a natural material and FILL ALL CRACKS! Did I mention to fill all cracks?

Chose the highest quality glazing you can afford. Not all glass is made the same. The quality and location of the coating, etc. all impact the glazing's performance. Try to limit the glazing (doors with glass and windows) to 15% or less of the exterior facade.

EDITED: typos

Last edited by Architect; 06/17/14 12:13 PM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.