African "killer" bees and European "honey" bees are the same species, sort of like different races. They cross-breed successfully. The problem is that when a batch of them hatch or wake up or whatever it is technically called, the first "queen" type goes around and kills all the other queen types. When you cross the 2 kinds of bees, there is something on the aggression gene that makes a queen hatch faster. That means a queen with the african gene always wakes up first and kills all the others with or without the gene. That means the gene can not be bred out in the wild.

The african bees are more robust, but the european bees make more honey. African bee honey can be gotten. I have 2 jars of it in my kitchen right now. I'm not sure if it is the bees or the pollen, but it tastes a lot different from any other honey I've ever had. It tastes more like maply syrup. It is from brazilian killer bees. I get most of my non-local honey from beefolks.com. They are out of MD and I see them every year at either the MD Ren fest or Potomac Celtic festival. They have the best varietal honey you could ever imagine. They are also in the process of starting a meadery. I also eat a lot of unfiltered unpasteurized local honey, especially during allergy season. You'd be amazed how good it works.

JYD #58