Good going EMF! Like you, I tried FOREVER before i got my first friction fire. A lot of it is making sure your set-up is good. You're right to be using cedar, but I only use it for my base-board. It seems to be pretty soft stuff and won't grind down your spindle too much. In my experience, the key is to make sure that you spindle is harder than your base-board.

Like you, i inadvertently turned my spindle into a projectile countless times before I got the technique down. The solution, I've found, is to make sure your block-piece that holds it down has a nice, deep hole bored in it. If there is a deep pit in your block, your spindle ain't go'en nowheres. I tried all different varieties of wood, but that never really worked out for me. My current block is a big hunk of Douglas Fir bark. Initially, the spindle tore through the block and it looked as through it would drill all the way through. Once the top end of the spindle and the block became smoothed, however, the drilling stopped and the bark seems to be holding up pretty well. I'm not sure if you can get thick, coniferous tree bark in your area, but its worth mentioning. I've also heard that soap-stone and limpet shells work.

In terms of endurance, i wouldn't worry. Basically, this is the conventional wisdom: if it takes you such a long time that you tire out, you're probably doing something wrong (as I was). You can potentially get a coal in no time at all, and skilled users can get a coal in under 20 seconds (I'm probably not to that point yet). So if you go for say, a minute, and you've got no coal, then something isn't quite right. Lets say to go for a minute: you spindle is still in place, you've been working hard, but still no coal? Its probably a question of selection the right woods, and also making sure your kit is made correctly.

Once you think you've got a good kit, and you really want to master it, make yourself a little schedule. Every day, or every other day, or once a week (depending on how much time you have), go out and give it a shot say, 5-10 times. I know from personal experience that slaving away at it for an hour can leave simply angry and annoyed, which generally means that it'll be a long time before you try again. That why, even through I've known how to do it for two years now, I got my first coal only last summer. Rather than practicing in fits and starts, I'd recommend you put in a little time, consistently. Good luck!

here is a video from a site i like, though I think his spindle is too thick.

http://blip.tv/file/367153

P.S. Implume: cool story! thats hilarious

Have you hugged your camp knife today?