what kind of trails are you talking about? I still carry large blades. I'd rather leave something else behind if I really had to. If I'm out overnight I'll always have something ranging from an SJTAC to a Becker patrol machete. 1 fixed blade, a large folder, and a sak or multi-tool. For the folders my favorites for the trail are an endura or a benchmade eclipse/ascent. They are amazingly light for their size. My favorite multi-tool is a Juice Pro. I'll always carry the large blade though because you never know what or who you might run into. To me it isn't so much how far you are off the trail as it is how far you are from the trailhead. You could be right on a trail and still several hours from any roads.

I could be wrong but I think SAR and military aren't really comparable because they are more team-based(in general). It's a lot different from being alone in the woods. Have you guys ever been out on a long trip? I think anybody considering a bug out should carry a few days worth of water on their back. I bet you'd see a lot of things removed from their packs.

JYD #58