The 3-in-1 jackets tend to have a cold spot down the zipper because the inner layer is spaced away from the zipper on both sides. Its just as easy(or a lot easier I think) to just have 2 separate pieces. that way you don't have to mess with zipping them together or taking them apart. I work in an open air environment at night, just a roof, so in the winters it gets pretty cold after being out there all night. When it is cold enough to wear full gear, I usually wear a summer performance-drying shirt against my skin, then something in the range of a sweatshirt over that, then an Arcterx jacket(one of their warmest fleece-type with abrasion pads), then a cheap heavy Columbia shell with the stretch cuffs and hood. I only wear the columbia jacket becuase I found it 80% off and its pretty durable and I wouldn't be that upset if I get grease on it or tear it at work. Any of the shells would be fine, but I definitely prefer to have something that is already wind and waterproof.

Over my legs I wear a base layer, then some pants, then snowboarding pants over that. Its a nice lightweight setup that lets me move pretty freely but still keeps me really warm. They make insulated hiking pants that might have better range of motion but would be pretty similar in performance. My pants make a lot of noise so if that bothers you check and see what it sounds like when they rub together. I walk really fast and people tease me about the *swish*swish*swish*swish* but they always know I'm never far away. That's probably not what you want on the trail.

I don't have any North Face gear but I have a lot of other stuff so if there's anything else you're looking at just throw it out there

JYD #58