770 is junk. period. avoid it at all costs. the savage for $399 is a better action than the 770, believe it or not.

i have decided, i am going to get a 30-06 or 7mm mag. the .270 winchester is out of the picture now. so, 30-06 or 7mm mag?

Stick with the .30 cal. Way more options on ammo and especially if you reload. If you really want a belted magnum just buy a .300 win mag. You can put together rounds as tame as .30-06 or you can load up some full tilt boogie stuff for the 400yd Elk shot.

I have a rifle chambered in just about every caliber you can imagine, including wildcats, and the most versatle all arounders are the .30s. Doesm't matter whether you're talking belted magnims or not. I personally love the .308 Win for just about anything you would ever hunt in North America except big bears. It's also probably the most inherently accurate round ever offered to the general public!

Another note: To truly get the best out of any rifle in both the accuracy and versatility departments, you need to get involved in handloading. It will open up a whole new world for you.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13